Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Azeksi
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
First build - Hurricane 600

Alllright, I joined the forum long time ago thinking i'd be posting something soon, but instead I bought a car, and then another. Now, they're both gone and I bought a bike! My beautiful million shades of blue/silver Honda CBR600F 'Hurricane' (1987). This will be a slow build since I have my conscription in less than 2 weeks, but I will try my darnest to work on the bike.

Soooo... Here's the bike:

The idea is to... well make it my own, and since i'm a dark and mean person, I shall make it dark and mean. The frame is going to be dark red and the fairings (tank) black with some airbrushing. Since it is my first build I am not going to do any impossible mods, however I will make a renthal handlebar conversion (hard enough for me right now), and all kinds of stuff with these (these are a start, wait for my drafts and you'll have a better idea.)

The whole idea of the project is, when I return home next year, I can just pop the key in and go playing 'Boss' everywhere. Right now going to get drafting, Sunday is project day which includes sawing, possible welding, swearing, and pondering where the hell i'll put all the hanging wires since the front and back are coming off! HELP IS APPRECIATED!

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
ha ha first post lol

you have a good base there bud will be watching to see what you do if you need any help just give me a shout

·
Azeksi
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So, about that Sunday's project day.. Well here's the result

All in a days work!
Have to say it was extremely satisfying to get my hands dirty again, apart from all that chain grease on the mudflap.. But all this took me pretty much 8 hours and it was worth it. I just need some hints on where to put the fuse box and other electric crap. It's kind of hard to understand anything from these pictures, but then again, it was a massive clusterf*ck. To my surprise I found a K&N filter in the airbox so that's a happy plus.

Here's where my rear light is situated, it's in a very weird place as it seems, but had to listen to the old man for a second, wouldn't let me hack the back off, I WILL STILL DO IT! But for now it looks like it is:

Oh and yeah that's a Yoshimura exhaust, was pretty surprised about that, it makes an epic sound tho.

There's some of the electrics i stashed under the seat by using some parts of the rear plastics to make a container.

I am probably taking the HONDA stickers off the tank tomorrow and painting the thing black, and I have to install front indicators as well, and if I get any good ideas on where to hide all the crap in the front I'll redo the front, as soon as I find a better way to have those gauges without having a big lump of ugly in front of me.

I don't know if I have time to install the fatbar just yet, but if I do, it's coming this week!

For the rear, if you can understand this picture, it's supposed to end up like this:

·
Azeksi
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Aight. So I took apart the front mount and am faced with a big pile of wires to hide somewhere! Anyhow the front looked like this:

So um, if anyone has any ideas where to put that small cooler that'd be great, I was thinking under the radiator? If I shorten those pipes to the radiator, it wouldn't look like a mustache in front of the bike. And again, any tips on where to put all them wires? They're bugging me..

Then I have been tampering the mudguard in the back, if you scroll up, you can see the way it used to look, here's the new look:

And another thing, how can I get my indicators to work without the wires having to go all the way up to the indicator gauge? because this is just ridiculous.. I tried to add a small piece of wire to the cube but it shorted the system... (dumbass) but eventually got it working again. so yeah:

That's pretty much what has happened, and the bike currently looks like this:

I'd say it's starting to look good but the wires ruin it for me.

Today all I've got going on is this mod:

Got myself a fatbar and LSL risers, used up the last of my budget on that pack (almost 200€) but hey you have to pay for quality RIGHT????? So if someone has the time to answer those questions above they'd be much appreciated, and I'd get them done before Monday when i'm going to run in the forest playing war..

·
Watch the world burn
1,046 Posts
Stash them under the tank. Pull your tank off, unclip the wires, and reroute them under your tank...then reconnect. Any excess wire you may have to shorten.

Reactions: ROBBO

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
not a bad start and as for the oil cooler ive seen people take them of and just have a pipe running across to bridge the gap..

·
Azeksi
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Officially final reply for weeks! I will do my best to work on the bike, and possibly get more readers for this thread. But here's what I've conjured up lately:

Feeling like such a boss with that bar to hold on to, I do tho have to saw the ends since they're too long. And to give myself that bigger picture of the end result, I couldn't resist sawing the seat shorter:

Next up is to fart a new seat out of somewhere, if nothing else, i'll modify the current one..

Thanks for your help, I'll be checking in every now and then!

·
Azeksi
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sorry for the blank post. Was supposed to put pics but the mobile version sucks... Now take 2 on the computer. So i've been pretty busy with the bike lately, haven't just had time to post since i'm in the forest during the week and no laptop with me. I've managed to hide the wires under the tank, they don't look presentable enough to make the forum, so let's leave them be, I painted the tank, have to do it again once i've drained the gas from it, the entrance hole didn't get much paint so it's fugly from there. Here's how she looks so far

I sawed the subframe in order to get it bent up, no worries, i will NOT sit on it, I do realise it can't support anything right now, gonna take it to a welder to make it durable, and then gonna work on the seat, since the bending has now made the seat unusable and as you can see from the first pic, I have raped it, and will be buying a new one.

Hope to get some feedback from this, and i'll continue working on this little girl as much as I can, I hope to get the whole subframe done before the cold weather gets here, that's my que to take a break from the project, since I have no garage.

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
That's a different way of getting the angle you wanted. One of the things I love about these older Hondas is how high up onto the frame the subframe begins. With it being like that you can chop it all the way off or you can chop it right behind the tank than use a piece of pipe that slides over it and completely make your own subframe the way you want it. So many options with those subframes.

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
I yea and you need to chop that can it will help the looks tremendously

·
Registered
124 Posts
Good start bubby, i have the f1 as well and i tell you its a great little bike.

With regards to your oil cooler question. Depending on where you live and your climate you can bybass the cooler and bridge the hoses up. Easy to do but you still have the hoses there running along the rad.
You can also cut the hoses short and have the cooler mounted behind the headers using a bracket and bolting to the bolts on the lower side of the engine. Fits like a glove in there. So there are a few options.

The wiring; i managed to cut out around 5 feet of wiring and put it under the the front of the airbox. Made a little bracket to hold the fuse box and the rest is just tucked there nicely. Ive had no issues yet.

The same can be done for the rear wiring and all of the junk that way. The battery boxes are pretty big on our bike so make a metal panel the width of the box and bolt everything to that. Slide it into the box and its out of sight and out of mind.

Beefing up the front end you can put any CBR USD set up on there. i have been looking into an R1 front end from a memeber on here. That seems to have potential too. you biggest issue is going to be fork length and swapping stems, not too hard if you do your research.

Rear swinger is a little more tough due to our narrow frame. You can fit a SSSA from a VFR 750 (make sure its the 1994 year though) with little fuss. or a CBR400 swinger which has a 160 tyre.

Lots can be done. Our bikes look great naked so have fun and do work.

·
Azeksi
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the info, i'm in Finland so the air is pretty cool all year so i can take off the oil cooler. I guess since it's snowing as i write this i could start working on the wiring.
I bought a 900rr subframe (i think it was a '02 version) and i'm having it welded on next week (will post pics) and i'll start working on it from there once it's warmer outside, so i'll just be working on the battery box, where you gave me a very good plan (thank you for that :) ).

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
124 Posts
Happy to help.

Be carefull with using modern subframes and tails on the f1. with the rear tyre being so skinny it can look a little odd and out of place when you look at it from the rear.

If you plan on doing a swinger swap as well then you will be grand as i'm sure you will have a tyre that's around 160 or maybe 180 if you can squeeze it and have offset front sprocket.

·
Azeksi
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well i've been thinking of getting an f2 swinger that can support a 160 just don't know how hard it will be to modify. I'd get an f3 but i can't find one anywhere

Shouldn't the f1 take an '05 front end? I read somewhere that the "sport" range is pretty much easily mix and match. I could get the whole front for a good deal.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
124 Posts
Yep, any CBR will fit nicely onto ours. I think the stems are all the same. Well on most CBR models anyway.
You will get clearance issues with the steering stops on the headstock so you will have to modify them. You may get issues with clearance of the clips ons hitting the tank. If you have risers and bars then no problem there.

Last issue and most important is the fork length; replacing for modern front end will lower the bike at the front as the forks are shorter. So your handling may be off (tip in quicker on corners) this can all be solved though when you do your swinger swap.

·
Azeksi
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
First build - Hurricane 600

Alright. Long time no see. I don't have but just one picture of all the things i've done during this break.

So what i've done:
Got the subframe chopped.. OFF! And instead I had a shop weld attachments on the frame so I could put a 900RR subframe on. It is a bit long and my original plan for a short subframe got destroyed. But hey, next project right?
I also went and bought a -08 600RR tail fairing that fits on nicely. I will still make a custom seat.
I bought a GSX-R 1000 K5-K6 swingarm which should fit in with very little work, just have to find the rest of the parts for it
I finally got on eBay and ordered 954rr forks with lower yoke, my mistake was ordering it from the US. Expensive as fuck... but at least I know I won't be doing that again. Oh and the forks are still in customs on which I have to pay an extra 100 € TAX to get it into the country.. Fuck. You. Finland....
But while i'm waiting on the forks i'll have time to decide which way around I should install these which by the way just arrived in the mail... ok fine the picture thing doesn't work. I got clip-ons. Tomorrow is picture day..

1 - 20 of 31 Posts