Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just started with stripping down my 94 zx7. Ive had it for 2 years but never really drove it because i couldnt get insurance. I want to powdercoat my frame and swing arm just need a little guidance because my service manual doesnt help me much.

1. I need some tips on taking this down to the bare frame. Ive got the engine ready to come out. I guess once its out it would be easiest to hang the frame to take the forks and swing arm off? Just looking for tips really.

2. Where do you guys go to get these massive allen wrenches? or should i just oreder them. I need a 14mm to get the motor out and it looks like something way bigger for the front wheel.

anyway i didnt take any pics after today (except for ones to aid reassembly) but heres one from yesterday after pulling the fairing off.

Anyway love the site, ive already sifted though the entire members build section for ideas and needless to say im inspired.
TIA
Fred

·
The Hell You Say!!
2,956 Posts
You can get a bolt on a couple of nuts that are the right size and are much cheaper than massive allen wrenches. I used that technique to tighten my axle nuts. You can use straps to help support the bike while you take off the wheels and forks/swinger. Once the motor is out it will much lighter and more manageable.

·
Perpetual Project
3,695 Posts
If you cant find a metric bolt big enough, find a standard bolt slightly larger and dress it down a tad with the grinder. Common "special tool for axle removal.

I wouldn't worry about diassembly, once you get the engine out the bike is quite light and laying it on its side is the easiest way I've found to get suspended parts out. After the first time apart you get a nice system going.

·
lɐʇuǝɯᴉɹǝdx&#4
3,518 Posts
Most hardware stores sell individual Allen wrenches in the bolt aisle. They are really cheap, a buck or two at most. 14mm is pretty huge, you'll probably need a store that caters to fabricators. Or just go amazon / ebay.

G

·
A quick look on ebay should find you a Kawa axle nut tool for not much cash, most are multi size for different jobs & small enough to stick in your bike tool kit, I had used a couple of bolts as described above before buying the tool but find this much easier as its all in one place

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the replies guys. I cant believe i didn't think to just use a bolt lol. any sould get a chance to do some work this weekend. Weather is supposed to break the freezing mark for the first time in literally months :party-smiley:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts