Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all - I have been reading this site for the past month or two and am finally ready to start this project. I have gotten a ton of idea from here, and have realized that I lack some of the very basic knowledge that most of the people on here have to put 2 and 2 together.

I have figured out hot to relocate my instrument panel with a homemade brace from parts from Homedepot on here, and how to do turn signals and some easier stuff.

I have a 2007 650r that I bought from a kid that laid it down, so Im selling the additional fairings on eBay, and wanting to go with a naked look. Nothing super complicated or fancy, just making it functional and safe - with bright lighting. Want it to look decent too,

Will this combination work for the front? I am wanting to use a "daymaker" headlight that is most advertised to be for Harleys on eBay. Link http://www.ebay.com/itm/7-Motorcycl...ash=item281a271fbd:g:FMwAAOSw-4BXZ6Sq&vxp=mtr

I plan to mount it with a standard ring that I see on Ebay.
Link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/7-Round-Day...ash=item3603758368:g:IcsAAOSw9etXP9Td&vxp=mtr

I will maybe put a fairing over it in the future.

Will this combination work for my bike, or is there something special with the wiring that I will need because it is an LED light? I believe that I need 41mm fork mounts to hang the light with.

Am I missing anything important or anything that isn't obvious?

Thank you for any help. I have searched quite a bit, but haven't found much with this style of headlight on a bike that already did not have an existing one on there.

Thanks!

·
|||||||||||||||||||||||||
30,379 Posts
Welcome to the site!

How do you plan to mount the ring to the bike? That ring looks like it goes inside a bucket headlight.

Does your bike use an H4 headlight bulb? It appears that is what the LED light you linked plugs into. If you don't you can just wire in a female H4 plug. Here is a link to H4 pigtails: http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-x-H4-9003...ash=item5d5bd52769:g:cg8AAOSwjVVVwsr7&vxp=mtr

You can snip them off a car if you've got a junkyard close.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the Response!

Good question, I guess that I was thinking that the 2 fork brackets would hold the ring for the headlight, but am now realizing that was a very dumb idea.

I am not sure now of how to hold the light in place. Also, not that I am looking at what the light would look like with no fairing, Im thinking that it would look pretty silly as well.

Not really sure where to go from here. I have been reading about how the Ebay package lights that can be mounted with fork brackets are not bright enough. I have been trying to find a solution so that I an have high visibility for oncoming traffic and for me to see at night.

I appreciate the feedback, I almost ordered that combination because I was excited.
Need to look a bit more though I guess.

Is there anything special needed for electrical conversion because of the LEDs?
I currently have two fixtures with 2 wires each, which I was planning on splicing and figuring out how to wire new light. I didn't know if I needed a transformer or modulator - or something like that.

Thanks a lot. Will keep looking.

·
Is my bike ok?
15,025 Posts
Welcome to CF :skully:

I've used Emgo headlights in the past with good results. They have 6" & 7" round in chrome, black and black w/chrome ring. Glass lens. They use a standard H4 bulb, so you can get a bulb or pigtail anywhere. Pretty sure Walmart even has then. They run about $60.

I've used two of them so far and thought they were plenty bright. Half my riding is at night in deer infested areas, so I don't cut corners on lighting. They mount easily with any type of headlight ears.

I'd toss up links, but cellphone.

Good luck duder

·
|||||||||||||||||||||||||
30,379 Posts
I have been reading about how the Ebay package lights that can be mounted with fork brackets are not bright enough.
Do you have a link to the eBay package you are talking about? A lot of the times the eBay lights are not as bright as name branded items. You could mount some LED driving lights next to the headlight for extra light. I mounted a Piaa flood light sideways and it made me very visible. Instead of the beam going out horizontally like this --- it went out vertical like this |

Is there anything special needed for electrical conversion because of the LEDs?
No. The LED light you linked, and any you buy already assembled, will have the appropriate electronics wired in to work with your existing harness. You'll just have to wire in the correct female plug if it is different than what you have now.

Here is a 7" bucket that I believe can be used with the original LED light you linked. I'm not sure if you need the adjuster (your second link) with this bucket.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-7...ash=item4b03c0098d:g:Sn8AAOSwoudW8jPq&vxp=mtr

Or, you could just run the above light as is and just replace the bulb with a name brand one since those cheap lights come with garbage bulbs. Osram would be my first choice for a bulb.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Welcome to CF :skully:

I've used Emgo headlights in the past with good results. They have 6" & 7" round in chrome, black and black w/chrome ring. Glass lens. They use a standard H4 bulb, so you can get a bulb or pigtail anywhere. Pretty sure Walmart even has then. They run about $60.

I've used two of them so far and thought they were plenty bright. Half my riding is at night in deer infested areas, so I don't cut corners on lighting. They mount easily with any type of headlight ears.

I'd toss up links, but cellphone.

Good luck duder

Thanks a lot, I looked up the Emgo headlights and found some on Amazon - that is the look I was going for. I appreciate the deer comment, as this is my main fear where I live. Just about ready to order.

Thanks for the input.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts