Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up this old girl last week-

At the moment I ride a VFR800, I love the V4 engine but after spending a week riding a cbf650 round the north of Thailand I remembered I like riding naked bikes with bars. So..... Make a naked with the V4.

Got home, looked round the internet, found seb and andys vfrs and decided I'm gonna have a go:)

So far Ive pretty much stripped the bike-

It's actually a bit further on now, cos my mate pauls just been over and we've just got the engine out of the frame. We tried to drop it out the other day but there was so much crud built up round the sprocket side of the bottom mount it was wedging the engine against the frame. We decided to strip most stuff off, drop the frame and engine onto some blocks and pull the frame off the engine.

The engine has 70k or so on it and a stripped plug socket, I can pick up a engine locally with 26k on it for £150 so I'm probably going to scrap the current one.

Been a couple of nice finds on the bike whilst stripping down, the downpipes are a pretty new stainless motad system which will clean up good and the rear shock is a decent WP unit which I reckon is good for a rebuild:)

Thats about it at the mo. I have a cb1000r top yoke on the way just cos its got roughly the right offset and it looks right, looking for a cheap bottom yoke or might just get one made. Haven't really thought too much about forks yet. I'm thinking of using a cbr600rr sub frame at the mo, but that will probably change!

·
Psuedoiterative
24 Posts
Good stuff. Seb and Andy's bikes are pretty much the pinacle of VFR SFs, so great inspiration for your build.

·
V four honda whore
12,426 Posts
im in im in im in :) not my most fav frame, but im in

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
im in im in im in :) not my most fav frame, but im in
Yeah, 4th gen frame is maybe better, I may even end up buying one but I'm going to give this a go first. The main problem is the lines on the section by the footpegs, but I've seen a couple of bikes where its been shaved a fair whack and they look good.

·
V four honda whore
12,426 Posts
i bet with different tail fairing, you can make it flow. i thought about different options and end up with rc45 tail on my 4th gen. have to transfer money now

·
V4's FTW
10,494 Posts
CB1000R top yoke will require a CB1000R bottom yoke, or a custom part. Offset is 35mm so not easily mixed with CBR parts as is the norm on some other builds. I had Yan buzz one out for me on his lunch break ;)

CB-R bottom triple is a reverse gullwing, not the prettiest IMO and may not work with the usd's you plan to use.

90-93 has the nicer gas tank, but the vented frame is not so nice... easy to change if you open your mind to cutting and welding!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cheers seb, I figured it would need some work done for the cb1000r top yoke. ...But it looks right though, just arrived now, gotta be better than chucking risers on a cbr yoke or something, so that's the starting point up front. I have a mate who works in a machine shop up the way who I can rope into making the odd part, failing that there's a really good guy locally who can do them for around £130 so not mega money. I'll find a set of forks next and go from there.

I'm gonna see the frame as a 'challenge', thats the plan for now.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Looking round Srad 750 bottom yoke maybe 214mm centres, 35mm offset? I can pick them up for pennies and all being well press the viffer stem into it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was a bit wrong, its the old slingshot that's got the 35mm offset. Bottom bearing is the same according to all-balls. I should have one picked up this week so I'll have a look at the stem length and deicide on pressing the stems out or not. I'm leaning towards a set of '06 R1 forks, 760mm length apparently, take out the length of the VFR bars and that should see the steering geometry pretty much the same, I think?

Picking up a rc36 engine this week as well, from a 4th gen but I'm sure it will go no probs, 33k with history and looks clean for a UK engine.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well life has done its thing and got in the way a bit but I've got a bit done in the last week. Ive stripped the bike completely now, sold offf a few bits and started to mock it back together to get some idea where to go-

I'm thinking of using the original seat but building a subframe and cowl to work with the lines of the vents on the frame?
Front end is a bit of a franken-front! I spent a fair bit of time trawling the internet and figured out- cb1000r top yoke, slingshot 750 bottom yoke, zx10r 06 forks and a vfr800 wheel all fit together. VFR750 standard trail is 101mm, all this lot works out at 100.5mm, in theory:):party-smiley:

Ive also picked up this clean engine with 32k miles and history, I'm planning to clean it up and have the covers powdercoated.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Been a while but I've been doing a bit recently.
I got the idea that i would chop down the original seat, mould a cowl and have a subframe made up. First I would make the subframe from wood as a mock up. It was a fugly idea and a proper mess-

So... I went away and bought a welder, never welded anything before in my life so I've spent a few weeks playing about making a welding table and welding scraps of steel together.

Then last week I set to-

Getting there, I then decided to trelis the frame, bit stiffer and looks a bit better, i think?

So now Ive started some work on trimming down the seat, I've cut down the plastic a bit and reshaped with some fibreglass to run the seat down over the top of the subframe.

Next is to recover the seat then work on the cowl. Ive got a little cnc router so im thinking now the plan is to draw up the design in fusion 360, cut a plug from kingspan foam and make it up in fibreglass.

·
V four honda whore
12,426 Posts
Subframe do looks great. Kinda takes mind off that strange frame part

1 - 20 of 21 Posts