Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Rat Fighter
749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few years ago I started converting my daily driver R6. Basicly a second gen. R6 exhaust system, Renthal Fat bars, gp shift and an acerbis light.

The next winter came a 2000 R1 forks and lower triple and a custom top clamp.

This is where this build is starting.

My main goals are a 2nd gen. R6 swing arm/shock/brake, 2ng gen. wheels, 2nd gen radiator, headlight, lots of misc work...general clean up.....electronics and controls, mass reduction, hp+...If I have time, and thats a big if new tail and paint

The old swing arm/shock and wheel

no swing arm and wheel...., haha

The new swing arm/shock, I am working on the shims to center everything.

With the new wheels, front calipers had to be shimmed the rear wheel looks good but the sprocket needs to be moved

Everything all mocked up...

Sorry for some of the pics I am working in very close space and not much room for the camera for side shots once its off the stand I'll roll it outside. I got the radiator on today as well but need some new hoses.

My new headlight is here! thanks Justin :metal:

lots to do and losing time

·
Go hard or go home
4,795 Posts
Damn that is some sweet shit. Our frames look sooooooo much better with the 2nd gen swinger than the stock unit. I like that you went with matching wheels, that was a good move.

I have my USDs on the way, and I hope I can do my swinger before FF but since its my daily driver I'm not counting on that happening too soon.

The mods look awesome. You'll have to let me know if the ride gets squirley on you at speed since we loose a bit on the front with the R1 conversion and gain a bit in the rear with the new swinger.

·
Eff Tee Pee
29,640 Posts
holy fuckin cheeet rob! dw son! i had no idear you was workin on that shizzle. i just got mine on the road today..NE fightering shall be done!

Reactions: Pariah

·
Rat Fighter
749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The mods look awesome. You'll have to let me know if the ride gets squirley on you at speed since we loose a bit on the front with the R1 conversion and gain a bit in the rear with the new swinger.
Thanks Matt :metal:
I have had the USD for a while now and this thing is very far from squirley. When I twist the throttle on the highway its not exactly squirley but its "light" in the bars. in the corners it is solid, you lose some of the flickability but you also lose the twitch

holy fuckin cheeet rob! dw son! i had no idear you was workin on that shizzle. i just got mine on the road today..NE fightering shall be done!
i just started it ia few days (uh um,....weeks you lazy bastard):baseball: ago. its cramped in my shed and i sure as hell wasn't working out there over that damn winter

·
Rat Fighter
749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
its time to update the build

i got the 05 radiator on. need to extend the hoses.

test fit the bars with the new clamp.

now comes the fun part.

I ripped into my carbs because they were dirty has hell.

I figured while i was here i would strip my extra set of carbs and replace some worn screws and springs etc. when i noticed this:

these are the air jets on the carbs on my bike.

these are the air jets on my extra carbs. notice the height difference between the pilot and main jets.

now here is the odd part. I searched the yamaha website and every year, every model R6 (99-02. 03 and up are FI) uses the same carb assy. other than the jet height the two sets are the same. I know they are R6 carbs because they came with the motor I picked up when i blew second gear(which is in the bike). :wtf:

so now its research time :nuts:

·
Rat Fighter
749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Progress!! new pics
I never got the carb situation worked out but put the new carbs in anyway. I'm using fz6 throttle cables and they never fit right so I modified the cable bracket.

that combined with a fully adjustable quick turn throttle and everything fits.:yeah:
I haven't had much time to work on it (holy shit FF09 is weeks away) so I pulled it out for a few pics to encourage some progress.

this is how it sits today

with the old tail. most likely this is the tail that will go back on this year.

than i threw on a second gen tail, its pretty beat up but it was free. I'm thinking its going to end up on this bike over the winter.

·
Buy all my shit!
6,042 Posts
well its been almost 6 months. winter is almost here. the bike is running thanks to the Fighterfest midnight wrench crew. I will update this thread in the next couple of days. just in time to put it away for the winter.
:thumbsup:

Attachments

·
VP of Daily Operations
7,472 Posts
good shit man. that is my and my cousin sitting on our asses in the back ground.

·
Rat Fighter
749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
an update here is well past due.......
so back in July I threw everything in place and hauled my almost completed bike down to fighterfest.

After long day of driving we pulled in and unloaded the bike into the inn living room and started working again.

for the most part the bike was done it just needed wiring and some finishing touches.
thanks to Scrapyard, Tucker, Spyder, and ZrO-1 we got her running at 3 am. the only thing I have done sense Fighterfest was wire the headlight and safety wire the front sprocket nut.

here is how it sits today......:metal:

DW on some Brembo front calipers. I'll have some pics soon.

·
Bitches love Fighters
5,325 Posts
holy thread resurrection batman...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts