Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Fighter Fanatic
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After 6 months of waiting i finally started my first project. I wont have any money for mods till about the end of September but for now i almost have it all torn apart

This is what i started with. The seat just slips on and off (Caused a very embarrassing fall sitting at a stop light hahaha)

This is how much i have gotten it torn down. I still need to remove the shock, swingarm, and drop the engine along with small misc parts but i am not sure how to stabilize the bike without something to hoist the bike on.

I'm actually not too happy that the subframe is attached to the frame but it is what it is i suppose.

Some asshole took a hammer to the top of that bar. Is there anyway i can get that fixed or any reason that i will need too?
There is still quite a bit to be done and i will defiantly have a lot of questions being my first build so feel free to comment and throw some ideas my way. Love to see other builds come together too so direct me to yours if you feel it will answer any questions.:cfrocks:

·
QUESTIONABLE ENGINEERING
1,325 Posts
Hey man, good luck with the project!

Only decent reason I can imagine for hammering that part intentionally is that maybe the subframe got tweaked and this was the dudes best idea to straighten it out?!?!! Either way it was pretty dumb. I wouldn't be as worried about the hammering as I would be about the rust. You should probably sand down that rust and see how deep it goes before you do any spirited riding! I think that is a bigger risk to the integrity of the subframe.

·
Fighter Fanatic
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Honestly that never dawned on me. snapping that would have been fun hahaha. I was thinking about chopping the back end to where it ends at the seat so i may just cut that off and find a subframe in better condition.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I love hurricanes. Can't wait to see what you do with it.

·
Fighter Fanatic
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is something that i wont address right away but I have noticed that the fuel tank sits pretty awkwardly on the frame. I was planning on getting a new gas tank anyway(if anyone has any suggestions let me know) but i don't want to buy one and for some reason it doesn't fit. Is there some kind of a filler i can get or do you guys have any tricks you can share. I feel like this is one of the points i need to fix before i start paint in case there is any prep work

P.S. The Frame is steel
P.P.S. off the subject i have only seen the top triple clamp for sale. do they sell as a pair or can i buy it separately?:shockerknucks:

·
Candy Paint Whore
908 Posts
This is how much i have gotten it torn down. I still need to remove the shock, swingarm, and drop the engine along with small misc parts but i am not sure how to stabilize the bike without something to hoist the bike on.
Check the bottom of the frame for centerstand mounting points -- not many F1s have a centerstand but it was a factory option and all the frames should have mounting lugs. You might be able to slide a pipe through them and support that on jackstands.

·
Fighter Fanatic
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good deal. I'm going out to my parents house where it is at tomorrow so i will check and see cause that would make it a whole lot easier.

And for an update i have decided to cut a part of the build out to make it a little easier for my first time round. It is going to be a "STUBBY FIGHTER"(Inside Joke from a different thread referring to a bobber) I know that there will still be some metal fab but I don't know much about other bikes or how to do the converting with tails and such so I think this will be the way to go until my next project. I think i will try an r1. Is it harder to do a project starting from a junker?

And last but not least I need some help deciding on dirty bars or clip ons? (both words I learned from reading this forum) I started on dirtbikes so i like the appeal and the look. but clip ons seem to be the easiest to work with?

·
Fighter Fanatic
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Does anyone know where I can find a book on the fundamentals of motorcycle engines. I dont expect it to turn me into an expert overnight but i would like to know the does and donts of tearing down the engine and rebuilding.

The More You KNow:devil:

·
VVItapdatassVV
292 Posts
Get a tech manual for your bike. It will be the best tool you will have at your disposal. Clymer manuals are great.

·
Fighter Fanatic
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Alright I haven't posted anything in a while because I have been waiting on money and parts and cant do much but clean at the moment. My dad did decide he would "help" and started polishing the engine (the engine that was going to be black). But what the hell i'm going to run with it. We cant seem to get the haze out of the aluminum though so it wont quite come out to a mirror finish. Any suggestions?

Will post pics in the near future. quite a few before and afters of dirty parts to clean lol.
:drinks:​

·
Fighter Fanatic
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Now I really haven't posted anything in a while but I have managed to make some progress. My plan is to have the bike running by The end of February and completely finished and fightered out by June. I thought I had my color scheme picked out but what looked good in my head started to not look so good on the bike but i will get it figured out. Any suggestions would be welcome.

I Cleaned the carbs out. I did have someone working on them before I decided to do the work myself and the guy moved to texas. So when i got to them they were already pretty clean.

Here is the engine after i pulled it from the frame...

And here it is mostly painted.

This is the entire bike all layed out on pallets. No Gas tank though cause it is ordered and on its way.

More pics of the bike parts.

I Saw this around the site and I thought it was cool so i sprayed the frame with bed liner.
Sorry for the shitty pics I lost my camera so these are all cell phone pics.

This is where the bike sits as of this morning. I mounted the engine in the frame and put the swingarm, rear suspension. rear tire and triple tree on.

I would have gotten the front end put together but the stupid fuckhead who had the bike before me had apparently just flipped the bike for a quick buck so it was rigged in there wrong. With the tire both bushings and this break mount it ends up being like 4 mm too wide to fit in the swingarm so we had to pull it and get it in there. It just barely spins free of the brake rotor but I plan to put in a 600rr or R6 swinger so for now i just needed to get it in there.

My new toy that I will probably only use once on this project because I havent learned how to do and machine work or engine work yet.

And for shits and giggles here are some pics of my 1961 Chevy impala. The interior is all mint original it has like 6000 miles on it with the original engine and the soft top convertible still goes down and up. We had it at a shop in Socorro and the dumb ass left it under a car cover outside. The wind let dirt and moisture onto the paint and caused rust. Then he sanded the rust spots and was 3 days away from painting it with not lead based paint before my dad caught him and whooped his ass lol.

I will try to post again with progress on monday.

Reactions: ants

·
The Polish Prince
947 Posts
^^^ You suck. ^^^

jk. great ride that I want.

·
Fighter Fanatic
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Haha Gracias. Actually its not really mine until my dad croaks.
But soon enough lol.

hahaha just kidding.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts