Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 228 Posts

·
THE HOOLIGAN SPIDERMONKEY
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First Project: ZYKLON B12 (Suzuki Bandit)

(Cliff notes at the bottom)
I found this site quite a while before I became a member here, maybe a year and a half ago. Back then I was riding my dad's GS500; I was new to the world of streetbikes but had been on dirtbikes several years.

Fast forward a few months to where I got my first streetbike, a 2000 Suzuki Bandit 1200. I based that decision entirely off things written about that bike on this site. I knew it was a capable and yet very underrated machine...which made it cheap. Perfect. I also knew it was a "good base for fightering". I'm still discovering all that that entails.

I logged a good many miles on my Bandit starting from the early summer when I got her till the fall. I still rode during the winter, but not quite as much. Then in December of '09 she spit out a spark plug mid-ride, and also pulled out the threads.

It was plug #3, which means that for a heli-coil or timesert to go in, the engine has to come out. This is where it all begins for me.

Up until now, I haven't done much to this bike in terms of mods. I've put on some ballin' pegs and an LED brake light (which allowed me to take off the turn signals), and I also threw on a GSXR shock. Beyond that, she's stock.

But I figure since I'm pulling the engine, it's a good time to get some mods under way. The only problem is that I'm not entirely sure what mods I want to do. I'll do some 'splainin' in posts following this one.

CLIFF NOTES: I bought a Bandit and I aim to do some kewl shit to it.

·
ShamanFighter
22,340 Posts
pics or it didnt happen...

welcome fellow b12 brother

·
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
On the way to the shop:

After the seat, tank, (ugly) front fairing, oil cooler, and oil have been removed:

Testing out an idea. I actually got this mask from a member here and decided after holding it up that it's too small for my bike. :oops:

As she sits right now. Everything's off that needs to be off, I'm just waiting on a buddy to help me pull the engine. That part will come Tuesday.

·
Eff Tee Pee
29,575 Posts
daaaaaaaang look at that tail! its like the iceberg that sank the titanic! lol

·
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Now...as for ideas. I have a lot of them floating around in my head right now and I'm going to try as best I can to get them all out into some semi-readable fashion.

First off...the front fairing HAS to go. My options with this are:
1. Get some Buell twin lamps. Those would look pretty sweet.
2. Go to a boneyard and pick out some projectors and glass a mask for that.

Either of those options works for me. I want to avoid the Acerbis masks because of the lack of light output (I actually ride this fucker...at night too!) and I just think they're overplayed on fighters.

------

I still haven't decided if I want to chop the subframe off. Lemme rephrase that: I'm not sure if I have the cojones to do it. But I want to. Bad. Ideally I want to chop the fucker off, glass up a custom single seater tail and a custom subby. Possible? Sure. Will I do it? We'll see.

-----

Colors: While I like the color it is now, I wouldn't mind going with something different. Regardless of whether I change the "body" color, I'll be painting the engine, mostly the stock color but with a silver-ish valve cover and possibly engine casings. I might also get some pimpin' copper/gold color engine bolts to match the front disc center. Whatever the hell that's called.

I'm probably also going to paint the swinger black and heel guards to match. However...I'm thinking custom knuck heel guards. :rock:

If I go all out on the paint scheme thing, I did a little photoshoppin' of what I have in mind:

Oh, and I want to go with pods.

Thoughts?

·
NZ = NOT AUSTRALIA.
611 Posts
LESS JIBBER JABBER MORE CUTTING STUFF OFF FOOOLLLL

·
theman themyth thelegend
8,497 Posts
Now...as for ideas. I have a lot of them floating around in my head right now and I'm going to try as best I can to get them all out into some semi-readable fashion.

First off...the front fairing HAS to go. My options with this are:
1. Get some Buell twin lamps. Those would look pretty sweet.
2. Go to a boneyard and pick out some projectors and glass a mask for that.

Either of those options works for me. I want to avoid the Acerbis masks because of the lack of light output (I actually ride this fucker...at night too!) and I just think they're overplayed on fighters.

------

I still haven't decided if I want to chop the subframe off. Lemme rephrase that: I'm not sure if I have the cojones to do it. But I want to. Bad. Ideally I want to chop the fucker off, glass up a custom single seater tail and a custom subby. Possible? Sure. Will I do it? We'll see.

-----

Colors: While I like the color it is now, I wouldn't mind going with something different. Regardless of whether I change the "body" color, I'll be painting the engine, mostly the stock color but with a silver-ish valve cover and possibly engine casings. I might also get some pimpin' copper/gold color engine bolts to match the front disc center. Whatever the hell that's called.

I'm probably also going to paint the swinger black and heel guards to match. However...I'm thinking custom knuck heel guards. :rock:

Oh, and I want to go with pods.

Thoughts?
first of all, welcome to customfighters. second, i had the same identical bike, same year and color and miss it dearly.

3rd, you sound like your on the right track, go with thhe projectors/mask, get some nice usd forks off a gsxr, chop the subframe off, and get a smaller tail. your headed in the right direction, good luck with your project :knucks:

btw, def go with the pods and jetkit, you will gains lots of horsepower. plus it looks cleaner, and you have more room for a battery.

·
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Not much work done today, but I found something I think would look kinda cool on my bike...

Yes, I'm aware that a few people have put an r6 tail on a Bandit before. But, I think it looks killer, plus I've never done anything like this, so...it's going on.

...right after I find a subframe or decide to weld one up. Anyone have an 06-07 subframe they're willing to part with?

·
NZ = NOT AUSTRALIA.
611 Posts
Not much work done today, but I found something I think would look kinda cool on my bike...

Yes, I'm aware that a few people have put an r6 tail on a Bandit before. But, I think it looks killer, plus I've never done anything like this, so...it's going on.

...right after I find a subframe or decide to weld one up. Anyone have an 06-07 subframe they're willing to part with?

fukn sick bro.... but when u put that tail on kick it up on an angle a bit.... not silly amounts, but like ziomeks angry black thing in fighter of the year, well i think it was ziomek, black 954 i think, all he did was lift the tail by 4 inches, made it go from blah to omfggggg....:shocker:​

·
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
fukn sick bro.... but when u put that tail on kick it up on an angle a bit.... not silly amounts, but like ziomeks angry black thing in fighter of the year, well i think it was ziomek, black 954 i think, all he did was lift the tail by 4 inches, made it go from blah to omfggggg....:shocker:
yeah, I'll definitely do that.

·
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
wtf?
1,188 Posts
WTF man, how the hell do you always find shit so cheap?
i hit up ebay and craigslist for anything and everything. i just hardley ever find stuff that I can use at good prices. BUT I just found a braced swinger that may fit my bike with no mods. im not sure yet though. only one person has done it before and posted little to no information and no pics... but it would only run me 75 bucks for the swinger

He believes bikes and hookers are of equal priority?
bwahahaaa

·
UnicycleMode
7,568 Posts
A bit ago I had a 1st gen B12 (I loooooove that frame style, it's classic looking in a good way) and I put alot of loving hours and dollars into getting it just the way I wanted it. I really didn't mind the huge tail, it kinda added to the "touring" style riding I wanted to do, but I always lusted after the K6-K8 GSXR1000/600 tail. I'm still yet to see one swapped onto a B12.

It looks and sounds like your going to build a really nasty fighter out of your Bandit, alot of great stuff planned so far too! If you have time, scrolling through the thread and checking out some of the smaller things I did to set off my B12, it's worth looking at. Alot of changing of the exhaust to get that "perfect" sound from it.

http://www.customfighters.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26901

1 - 20 of 228 Posts