Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ran into a great deal and picked this baby up for cheap! My first 79 gs750!

Was easy to get it running. Just clean of the carbs and Walah!

My plans for this bike it to build like a cafe style. Kick only, and barebones. Although I do not like the spoked wheels and want to switch the front and rear to a 90s gsxr wheels and all. Mono shock right now is optional and Will be decided when I get there. Will keep everything posted as j move forward. Any information or help us greatly appreciated.

Ideas are always welcome!

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Update.. Someone just offered a donor bike.. 96 yzf1000 I know I can work with the front end. But am having trouble finding in the swingarm pivot dimensions on the yzf. So not quite sure if it will fit. If someone has some information that may help please do!

I know it will mess with my chain alignment but I can fix that and will do a 530 conversion any ways as well.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Been fiberglassing all day.. Will have to say never get excited and rush. Place my resin and fiber down then tried to use resin that was starting to hard since I was too lazy to mix new.. And is going to make my life a living hell on the sanding and finishing process. But here is what I have so far.

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Ran into a great deal and picked this baby up for cheap! My first 79 gs750!

Was easy to get it running. Just clean of the carbs and Walah!

My plans for this bike it to build like a cafe style. Kick only, and barebones. Although I do not like the spoked wheels and want to switch the front and rear to a 90s gsxr wheels and all. Mono shock right now is optional and Will be decided when I get there. Will keep everything posted as j move forward. Any information or help us greatly appreciated.

Ideas are always welcome!
nothing in the world of bikes as sexy as hells bells as air cooled fours. GS & KZ forever:party-smiley:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
nothing in the world of bikes as sexy as hells bells as air cooled fours. GS & KZ forever
[/QUOTE]

So far it as been a great treat to work on This thing! The kickstart drew me in and the old style look. Have not seen a lot of these around lately!

·
Registered
14 Posts
yes that is what i mean , fewer and fewer kz and here in east canada gs 750, gs1000 are rare . last one i have seen in 86 was a 78 gs1000 black, told the owner when ever i want first call. bugged him when ever i saw him. after a few years went buy we ran into each other i asked again .... he had sold it 2 years before and never called me. never seen or heard about it again gone forever.
i do however have a kawi gpz1100 1983 in my shed waiting for some love.

in your case the wire wheels on the gs750 are so damn cool keep them just in case

·
old fart
3,789 Posts
looking forward to seeing where this goes, not long finished my GS build, If you need any help just shout and i will try to help
where i can :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This is about where I am at right now. Since I have a shell made. I wanted to move the battery under the cowl before I made a new wire harness.

Got word on my donor bike! Picking up a 97 yzf 1000 for cheap cheap! So it will keep things interesting. Fork swap is going to be straight forward. The swinger on the other hand little tricky!

But never a fan of the spokes. The wheels will be up for sale. I know they are classics just not my style and not in the mood to keep them around. Trying not to be a hoarder!!

Ps ignore the cut up boxer shorts under the pods. Did what it took to restrict just a little more hair with the pods until I get the jets I need ??

·
The friendly Ghost.
13,174 Posts
Very interested in this project.

I am fairly certain it will be a lot of work getting the YZF1000 wheel / cush to work well with the GS sprocket.

If you don't mind going a little narrower, you can use a YZF600, FZR600 or XJ600 and still match the front wheel with the period Yamaha swept triple spokes.

YZF1000 - 17x5.5 - 190/50r17
YZF600 - 17x5.0 - 160/60r17
FZR600 - 18x4.0 - 140/60r18 or 150/60r18

I have installed an SV650 swingarm into my 79 GS750 and the 160/60r17 fits with an aligned chain. I will be using an SV650 front sprocket in order to use a smaller chain width.

The 97 Thunderace forks should accept Bluedots from an R6, Silverdots from an FZ1 or Golddots from an R1 (conventional, not radial).

Keep on posting as we will bother you for updates when you pause for a while. :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Very interested in this project.

I am fairly certain it will be a lot of work getting the YZF1000 wheel / cush to work well with the GS sprocket.

If you don't mind going a little narrower, you can use a YZF600, FZR600 or XJ600 and still match the front wheel with the period Yamaha swept triple spokes.

YZF1000 - 17x5.5 - 190/50r17
YZF600 - 17x5.0 - 160/60r17
FZR600 - 18x4.0 - 140/60r18 or 150/60r18

I have installed an SV650 swingarm into my 79 GS750 and the 160/60r17 barely fits with an aligned chain. I will be using an SV650 front sprocket in order to use a smaller chain width.

The 97 Thunderace forks should accept Bluedots from an R6, Silverdots from an FZ1 or Golddots from an R1 (conventional, not radial).

Keep on posting as we will bother you for updates when you pause for a while.
Yea thanks for bringing that up. Had big eyes seein that fat tire. Thinking the chain may even start hitting the frame at that point. Also have access to a 93 gsxr 600 rear end that I may go for to make life a little easier with the 160 wheel. Will part out the rest of the yzf 1000. But can't pass up 250 for the entire bike. Thanks for hitting me with that reality check and maybe for Bustin my bubble :p

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Alright let's just say I am not a bondo King! Sander broke so can't sand it down unless I want to take hours and some elbow grease ! Getting a new sander this weekend. Bonds job looks whack!! Will start to look better after some time!

Attachments

·
Is my bike ok?
15,025 Posts
While the filter is partially hard/still gummy you can shave a lot of excess off with a cheese grater. After its full hard you can go at it with a rough rasp. Then finish with a block in hand.

Power Sanders are great for stripping paint, not much use for body work. Except an air file, of course.

Take your time. It's all about patience.

·
Remi's Dad
17,593 Posts
cheese grater when it's almost dry, slightly tacky. Sand with 80 on a strait block in a cross hatch pattern. The recess won't do well with a power sander anyway. For the concave stuff i use a flexible rubber pad to give it some thickness (won't leave finger grooves) like one used for color sanding

1 - 20 of 44 Posts