Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Angry Northerner
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally persuaded the wife to let me turn her K3 Gixer 6 into a SF... she agreed on the condition that it's reversible.

It all starts now!
:jump_fire:

So, first thing on the list was to get a new top yoke so I can get some risers and dirty bars fitted to it. I found one in good condition for £25 on eBay (with free delivery) which seemed a bloody good start. Ordered it around 11pm on Wednesday night and it arrived before lunchtime on Friday! Awesome service. :yeah:

This weekend's job is to tidy the garage up and get it useable so I can finally start on this MF project! :metal:

Pics and updates to follow. :)

·
Bitches love Fighters
5,325 Posts
fuck yeah

·
Angry Northerner
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The question now is, do I go for 7/8" bars or 1 1/8" fat bars? :confused:

Pros and cons of both, please guys? :) Incidentally, I prefer the look of bars without the extra cross bracing if that makes any difference to the choice. Cheers.

·
Bitches love Fighters
5,325 Posts
the fatter the better. i have a set of 1 3/8 bars on mine. fat bars are less likely to bend or flex. other than that its not much different

·
Angry Northerner
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Unfortunately there's no progress to show yet (life just keeps getting in the way!) but there are plenty of plans forming in my head. :nuts: I'm in two minds about which diameter bars to get as the Pro Taper fat bars are about twice the price of 7/8" Renthals. (Around £80 for Pro Tapers, as opposed to £35-40 for Renthals).

As for the rest of the bike, I'm thinking about getting 2nd hand fairing panels and cutting them down to make into a belly pan, unless someone knows of a one-piece belly pan that fits my bike?

The main problem I've got is that I have loads of ideas of what I'd like to do and neither the funds, time or skills to do them! :doh:

·
Bitches love Fighters
5,325 Posts
i had those risers when i had my protaper bars. they will fit just fine.

Reactions: eccles291

·
Angry Northerner
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Getting nowhere fast!

Sadly, no progress to report yet which is really pissing me off!! :angry: Every time I try to get out to the garage, the missus is working and I have to keep an eye on the kids, or there's shit to do in the house, or I'm at night class or some-fucking-thing just gets in the way!! Aaargghhhh!!! :2up:

I was going to head up to the NEC bike show this week to try and get some bargains but the cost of getting there would eat into my budget for converting the bike so I decided I'm better off not going. Instead I'm going to use a local bike shop to get the bars and risers for a start. Conveniently they're also engineering types so I'll see if they have some small lumps of ally/steel I can buy to fill the recess on the underside of the top yoke.

TBH I'd rather support a small, independent, local dealer and put my money in his cash till rather than into some faceless bike shop with a stand at a bike show who I'll never go anywhere near again. The bloke in the local shop is an engineer by trade who races bikes at the weekends and was really friendly & helpful when I went in the first time so it makes me want to help keep him in business.

·
killrob
105 Posts
Looking forward to some pics! As for the bars I wouldn't sweat it too much they're made for landing jumps on dirtbikes so long as you aren't thinking of getting airborne they'll do the job!

Check to see how long your cables are too, may affect how much taller you want your bars or you may need to get new cables made up

·
Angry Northerner
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Check to see how long your cables are too, may affect how much taller you want your bars or you may need to get new cables made up
Thanks for that, especially the bit about the height of the bars. I'd not thought about how much the actual bend of the bars might affect things. I've read that the cables should be okay with a little re-routing although I'll definitely need a new front brake line. As I need to replace all the brake lines anyway, it's not a problem.

Meantime, I'll see if I can dig out a pic and stick it up. :)

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Yea you need to get I'm the garage and start doing something about that

·
Angry Northerner
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Finally, some progress... just a small amount though. I decided that I've done enough 'other shit' that keeps getting in the way of this build and all too often I've been finding myself going back to work on a Monday, pissed off at having achieved the square root of fuck all over the weekend! In light of that I decided that today was going to be a day of doing something I wanted to do for a change. :2up:

The garage was in rag order so I had to get things squared up first, which took a fair amount of time and it's still not finished. The first job was awkward but at least it's done - getting the cupboard (where my hi-fi lives) put back up on the wall after it fell down months ago. At least I can have some tunes in there when I DW. :guitar:

Once that was done I got the bike moved into the middle of the garage, removed the battery and put it on a charger and then got set to work stripping the bodywork off. I've only got the lower halves of the fairing off but it's a start and that's the main thing for now. What it made me realise is that:

1. The bike REALLY needs a damn good clean.
  2. There's more work to do than I first thought.
  3. I need to tidy the garage some more to make room for the bike ramp.
  4. Scratting around on the floor under the bike is fucking stupid when you've got a hydraulic bike ramp in the garage not being used!! :nuts:
Pics to follow.

·
Eurotrash
33 Posts
Fat bars and these will do you, have some on my supermoto and they're fine, i come off all the time off road.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Fat-B...47?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item27d99c6987

got renthal clamps and fatbars on my cbr and theyre nice too.

New brake lines for sure, throttle and clutch should be okay, mine were but took a bit of routing to get the throttle cables happy. best bet exhaust wise is to find a cheap stock one, cut it in half, gut it, stick it back on. Loud and small on the cheap, will be nice though thats a sweet bike.

Im still working outside so I feel your pain.

·
Angry Northerner
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The bike has got 42,000 miles on the clocks now so looks a little tired these days. :(

Pics:

Minging!

I'm beginning to wonder how the fuck I'm gonna be able to hide all this wiring!

Heel plates could do with smartening up some how.

Hope the steering damper doesn't cause any issues once the top fairing is off. Either because of getting in the way of the new headlight or just looking shite!

·
Eurotrash
33 Posts
As if shes moaning about it being reversible! tell her it can continue to rot under those fairing or be cleaned up without.

That's what I like about fighters, supermotos ect. No plastic to hide the unwashed filthy underneath!

I would strip that bike right down and clean it up, check linkages ect for rot...

Great basis for a fighter though.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts