Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple days before Thanksgiving I was rear ended at a stoplight on my 96 bandit. I haven't been able to to take it apart yet because the insurance guy is taking his time, but I think the tail section of the frame is tweaked. If it is I want to chop it off and fab up some brackets to put a subframe on. I am wondering if anyone has any pointers they wish someone told them before they modded a frame? haha.

My biggest concerns are getting the seat to match up to the tank, and not changing the geometry/feel of the bike. I live about 25 min from the Dragons tail, so it needs to feel good in the corners still. Other than that it sounds like a simple matter of making some brackets out of steel and welding them to the frame. Right?

·
Premium Member
4,596 Posts
first things first...I would double check the main frame. If the sub is twisted you run the risk of the rest of the frame being "off"

I would suggest that if you are doinga new sub that you weld tabs and go from there. Welding into the steel is nice and easy but if I could do mine again I would have done that instead. If you want to update/change the bike it makes it easier

As far as matching up to the tank all I did was add some extra pieces to the seat pan and covered it with the pad and seat cover. It doesn't take much but it filled that gap nice

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Defiantly check the main frame as well. If the subframe is tweaked the insurance company will most likely total the bike because the subframe is welded on technically it's part of the main frame. So you can either take the payout the give you to buy a bike or you can take partial payment and buy your bike with a salvage title.

For the seat I chopped up the front of the seat to match the lines of the tank. Just pulled back the seat cover cut the plastic and foam to where you need it pull the cover back over staple done .

·
Bitches love Fighters
5,325 Posts
i as well cut the front of the seat to match the tank. besides possibly having twisted the frame there are a few other things you need to consider. like what seat/tail would you be using? is it one that has a tail fairing or is it something more along the lines of the ducati monster seat or such? is it just going to be you on the bike or will there be a passenger? that would dictate what type of subframe you would need to get or buy. a monster seat needs a VERY simple subframe with a small piece on the front for the front mount to loop under and a place on the rear for the stock ducati latch or a mounting point for a screw hole where the latch pin bolts on. also you may need to make a mount for passenger foot pegs.

in contrast to that a subframe that needs to accommodate an actual fairing needs to not only be designed to hold up the rider and possibly passenger but needs to fit inside the fairing and have mounts for the fairing. all of this means that there are more things that need to be square and true as not to give the tail a crooked look.

next up would be battery placement. with a seat like the monster you would probably want to mount the battery and the rest of the electrics somewhere else than under the seat unless you want to build an enclosed subframe where with something with a tail fairing you can hid it all under the seat.

you also may want to take into consideration storage space or lack thereof. tail light and turn signal options as well. look through the bike specific pictures at bandits and see what you like

1 - 4 of 4 Posts