Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay guys, quick question and maybe you guys could give me some advise. I'm doing a zx6r tail swap on my zx6e. So far I have bought the zx6r subframe, battery tray, undertail, tail fairing, rider seat (still need passenger seat, help me out if you've got one) and tail light. My question is that the zx6e stock subframe is welded on, whereas the zx6r tail light is a bolt on. Regardless, I have to chop off the old subframe but how should I attach the new subframe? My plan was to cut off the bolt holes at the end of the new subframe that would attach it to the frame and instead get the new subframe welded to the base of the old one. Would this be my best bet or would there be a way to drill the frame and just bolt up the r tail like it was meant to be. All imput is welcome! Let me know what you think and I'll add some pics soon

·
ZX-6R Fighterer
457 Posts
I think the best way to do it would be to mount some adapters on the frame so you can bolt the subframe on to them. With the tank on find out how the seat lines up with it and that will determine the gap between the frame and subframe mounts. Once that is done you'll be able to figure how big the mounts on the frame will have to be.

What kind of 6R tail is it? If it's a 98-02 I've some parts lying around for it. Post up some pics too we want to this beast. lol

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yupp it actually is the 98-02 r tail I'm putting on. As soon as I get some assembling and test fitting done I'll definitely let you know if I need anything!
I'll post some pics of the bike when I get home from work, its stock as of rjght now...kinda. It has an atrocious green paint job with an alligator skin seat lol. So if you think your eyes can handle it, check back in a few hours

·
Just Here For The Party
696 Posts
How good a welder are you? It might be easier and safer to modify the tail to fit your existing subframe.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts