Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings:

I figure I'd post up pics of my first track day. It was August 17, 2007. It was a charity event for racing2savelives.org. A few pics of the naked 500 and a little low side action follow:

I took the plastics off in case I did something stupid and went down. Luckily, I made the right decision.

Inspecting the sheets for stains or bugs. The bed wasn't made when we go to the hotel.. :(

Action Shots:

Me and Grom doing the EX500 thing:

Lean bitch, lean!

Bottom of the bike...

Begin Crash Sequence:

There are a few more, but I figure that's enough whoring for right now...

It was definitely a good time and I can't wait to go back, this time with an upgraded front and rear suspension and a cleaned up subframe. The only damage to the bike was a bent left handlebar and a dent in the gas tank.

·
Eff Tee Pee
29,722 Posts
i cant wait to start doing this on a regular basis!!

was it everything you hoped it would be??

·
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
looks like you had fun despite the time spend dismounting
It was an absolute blast. For $110, or however much it was for the 2 sessions I participated in, it was money well spent.

Glad to hear you came out of that little spill ok. I haven't ever gotten to go to a track day, I think this is my year.
It's definitely worth it, but I'd suggest taking a beginners course or level 1 track course before you go balls out at the track. If it hadn't been for the guys at Pro-Motion, I don't think it would have been as fun, not knowing the basics of apexes, finding the lines, acceleration zones and brake zones...

Time for the addiction to kick in
It's in full swing. I've got the front suspension upgrade almost complete. All I need now are some clip-ons and the front will be ready to go.

i cant wait to start doing this on a regular basis!!

was it everything you hoped it would be??
It was, and then some. Going down definitely made me rethink my riding habits on the street though. I definitely plan on going back and getting more training/track experience soon.

·
Function IS Form
19 Z900, 88 Kat11
17,434 Posts
If I were you, I'd skip the upgrades to the bike until you can lay down consistent laps. You can't really tell how well you're improving if you keep making your bike handle different.

·
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If I were you, I'd skip the upgrades to the bike until you can lay down consistent laps. You can't really tell how well you're improving if you keep making your bike handle different.
You bring up a good point. If I had taken the F4, instead of the EX500, I wouldn't have touched the suspension to start out. Unfortunately, the EX500 suspension is barely worthy of riding on the street, much less the track. Right now I'm doing an initial upgrade to give the bike a good starting point. I have a couple of reasons why I'm doing suspension work after my first trip to the track.

Reason 1: The EX500 is extremely under-sprung in both the front and rear suspension. Even with the proper sag set in the front and rear, it is still possible to bottom out the front suspension under heavy braking.

Reason 2: Raising the rear will hopefully prevent the dragging of hard parts, which, other than improper body position, contributed to my little slide across the track. Even after adjusting my body position, and getting off the seat, I still had issues with dragging the pegs.

The riding coach I was with is an EX500 aficionado and he suggested these upgrades before participating in another trackday.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts