Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I am fitting a Koso XR-SRN to my 2001/2 ZX12.The fitting has gone ok but there are a couple of thing that i am not sure of.I have emailed Koso to ask for their thoughts.

I did read a thread on here that a guy was fitting a Koso meter to his TL1000,it was mentioned
that you could instead of using the supplied sensor and magnets you could connect to the speed sensor.Is there anyone on here that has more details.Looking at the wiring for my ZX12 i have 3 wires coming from the speed sensor.
Yellow = Speed sensor pulse.
Pink = Speed sensor + supply
Black/Yellow = Earth.

I have a Red/Green wire that goes to the original meter from the Fuel reserve switch.I am thinking that i will need to add a manual switch for this to operate correctly ?

The original meter is fitted with a FI warning light,i did have the idea of connecting this to the hazard warning light on the Koso meter..This is a Brown/Red wire coming from the ECU being a 12v + wire i think and the Deep Purple wire on the Koso being a 12v +.

Any help on this matter would be very gratefully received..

Why do Koso supply those c**p connectors.I always solder and heat shrink any connections that i make.

Attachments

·
Fuck it, let's do it live
3,993 Posts
I literally just did this, on a different model Koso. Check the build thread in my signature.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply.I checked out your work on your Busa,looks like your are a A1 fabricator with an eye for detail,it's a great looking bike with loads of power mate.

I hope your 900 mile journey goes without any problems..

So i have 3 wires on the Koso sensor Brown/White,Green/Red and Yellow/Black..which wires did you use and where did you connect them.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply.

·
3,993 Posts
Thanks for the kind words!
Yeah, I can't think of a better way to test it's reliability than to ride it alone through a bunch of desert, hours between civilization with no cell phone coverage :D

I'm not familiar with that particular model Koso our with that bike, so I'm not sure about what colors go where. I just looked up a wiring diagram and it LOOKS like the pink wire going to the OEM gauge is the VCC and the yellow wire is the signal, but I can't be sure. On the Koso side, the colors are different than mine so I'm not sure on that end either.
Basically the gauge is looking for power (yes, separate from the rest of the gauge), ground, and signal. The ground can be tied into the main ground you have going to the gauge, or any good ground that's easy to tap into, and is PROBABLY the Y/B wire but don't hold me to that. The power to the speedometer needs to be 5V, DO NOT USE 12V or you will fry the gauge. There should be a5V circuit in your harness powering the sensors and this is PROBABLY the pink wire in the harness going to the OEM gauge (again, I can't be sure)... this connects to the power wire for the speedometer which is PROBABLY the G/R wire. The speed sensor signal seems to be sent via the yellow wire in the harness and should connect to the Br/W wire on the gauge... I think.

The diagram I saw had some really stupid labeling method that didn't make much sense. Only one of the Koso wires has black so that's probably the ground, Brown writes are usually signal on my experience and that leaves the G/R wire as the 5V power... but, they may have done something different here. In any case, use a digital multimeter to test the yellow and pink wires in the harness... One should have a +5V constant, and the other shouldn't show anything when the rear wheel isn't spinning.
Sorry I couldn't be more help.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your reply.
Yes i did read about the 5v supply and frying the meter if you make a wrong 12v connection.
I have emailed Koso Europe twice asking for more information but they seem to be as much use as a chocolate teapot and cannot be bothered to reply even if they cannot help.
I did a search on a Kawasaki forum and found a guy that fitted a Koso which was not the same model as mine and the three wires were different colours but he was successful,so it can be done.
When i find my tester i will check the wires for voltage.

Like i said i hope your trip goes well and you have no problems on the way.

Big thanks for you taking the time to reply as you must be really busy sorting your busa etc.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I no electrical expert my knowledge is basic at best. I'm in a similar position trying to use the standard wheel sensor pickup on a KTM Super Duke 990 and attaching that to the Koso dash I have. I've had no luck yet and waiting for my mate who's a sparks to figure it out.

I note your comments about the 5v supply and I just wanted to mention that the Koso dashes have 3 wires coming out the dash which attaches to their own wheel speed sensor. I point it out because I'm not sure if riding another 5v supply is need or a good idea.

Feel free to blow me out of the water on this, I just wanted to mention it in case it's relevant.

·
3,993 Posts
Thanks for your reply.
Yes i did read about the 5v supply and frying the meter if you make a wrong 12v connection.
I have emailed Koso Europe twice asking for more information but they seem to be as much use as a chocolate teapot and cannot be bothered to reply even if they cannot help.
I did a search on a Kawasaki forum and found a guy that fitted a Koso which was not the same model as mine and the three wires were different colours but he was successful,so it can be done.
When i find my tester i will check the wires for voltage.

Like i said i hope your trip goes well and you have no problems on the way.

Big thanks for you taking the time to reply as you must be really busy sorting your busa etc.
No worries. Busy, yes, but never too busy to help someone out.
If you are in a rush, you could do it the ghetto fab way... +5V won't fry anything, so you could just take that pink wire and touch it to the G/R wire and see if your gauge starts displaying a speedometer reading (should say 0). The only thing the meter will tell you is which wire is witch on the bike side, not on the Koso side, and the bike side is easy, so... basically what I'm saying is, I can't tell you to start applying power to places on the off chance it fries your shit, BUT that's what I'd do if it were mine (and that's exactly what I did on mine a couple days ago).

I no electrical expert my knowledge is basic at best. I'm in a similar position trying to use the standard wheel sensor pickup on a KTM Super Duke 990 and attaching that to the Koso dash I have. I've had no luck yet and waiting for my mate who's a sparks to figure it out.

I note your comments about the 5v supply and I just wanted to mention that the Koso dashes have 3 wires coming out the dash which attaches to their own wheel speed sensor. I point it out because I'm not sure if riding another 5v supply is need or a good idea.

Feel free to blow me out of the water on this, I just wanted to mention it in case it's relevant.
+5V constant is +5V constant. Especially if you're replacing your OEM gauges, since you're removing those instead of just adding another load to the circuit. The Koso needs the speedometer to be grounded, which can be tapped into the main ground already going to the gauge, a +5V constant which should be in the bike's harness to power the old speedometer, and then of course the pulsed signal coming from the speed sensor which should also be in the harness going to the old gauge.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not really in a rush to complete the wiring as the weather in the UK is still crap.Koso did manage to reply on Friday to an email that i sent them,saying that they were looking into my questions.All i hope is that they can tell me 100% which wires i will need connect to where,if they can't me then i understand what you are saying and will use the ghetto fab way.

Big thanks for all your help...

Hope you really enjoy riding your Monster Busa..Take mate.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Should have said...Take care Mate.

I will update when the gauges are fully working...Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thought i would bite the bullet and connect the wires to the speed sensor.Koso did finally get back to me but were not a great help.

So connected the wires and started the bike...now i have a speedometer reading like a rev counter.Tried changing the settings some are better and some were worse.Not really sure where to go now.

·
3,993 Posts
What do you have the tire diameter and sensor count set to?
How many sensors are in your wheel?

Note... the sensor count setting and number of sensors in your wheel are not necessarily going to be equal, and neither are your set and actual tire diameter. They might be, or they might not be.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I measured the front tyre and it's 1880 so used that setting.The number of sensor count i have tried all the
from 1 to 20 and they all show a reading when the bike is not moving although some are better than others.

The original Kawasaki speed sensor is fitted near the front sprocket i am not quite sure where it gets it signal.

·
3,993 Posts
I connected my speedo signal wire to the bike's original wire for the OEM gauges. My wheel has 4 sensors, I have the gauge set to 10 and it's kind of close.
Maybe try pulling signal from the OEM setup and see what happens? You shouldn't be getting a reading while the bike isn't moving.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i will have another look at the wiring..like you say there shouldn't be a reading when the bike is still.

How is your busa going..Are you happy and settled in your new job.

·
3,993 Posts
So hold on a sec. You're using the front wheel speed sensor contraption that KOSO sells, yeah?

Busa's going slowly. Moved to Tucson, started working, moved back, started a new job back here, and haven't had much time to dedicate to turning wrenches on it. I've been riding the fuck out of it though, and it's probably the funnest bike I've ever rode.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I've just fitted this speedo to my gsxr 1100 wt now as I'm reading it you want to connect the koso to your bikes standard speed sensor. I used the universal speedo cable drive adapter for mine as mines cable but if I'm right you might still need an adapter to translate the sensor for the koso I ordered mine from www.digital-speedos.co.uk and they list a few different adapters. It might also be worth giving them a message they may be able to help you.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts