Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
G

·
That's a nice bike for the cash & they are becoming collectable, are you aware of the 2nd gear problems which usually show up at around 30,000 miles ?

·
lɐʇuǝɯᴉɹǝdx&#4
3,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've heard about some having a second gear problem, yes. Haven't seen enough info to know if its a probable concern in this / all cases, and certainly not enough to know how to tell the difference. Apparently its not a budget-buster to fix if you do the work yourself.... but yeah, I'd really rather not.

G

·
I can offer a little info on this if it helps

A washer between the gears wears quite badly & the symptoms of this of this are a little stiffness engaging second or a slight crunch, once the washer gets to a certain point second gear can fail to engage properly or jump out under acceleration, a good mate had an 1100 that did this & rode it around for over 2 years short shifting from 1st to 3rd

When we eventually stripped it to replace the washer the gear itself needed replacement as well due to chipped teeth, this is common on the 1100 at around 30k miles but does not seem to affect the 1200 at all

My advice would to be ride it & check if it shifts cleanly without noise or stiffness then accelerate hard in 2nd & see if it jumps or makes a noise before buying, I would also say it will happen at some point so factor the work & the price of parts involved into your buying

I hope that helps a little

·
Remi's Dad
17,593 Posts
Easy to fix if necessary. Mostly from squidy riders not clutching from 1st to 2nd.
check for the jump out of gear or a stiff shift from 1st to 2nd
The owner has obviously done the right mods to keep it reliable, powerful, and comfortable.

Chances are it's been cared for as it should. $2200 is dirt cheap. A fair early 1100/1200 non abs should be around $2500-4000.

29000 is low miles. Lot's of fjowners have hundred-k plus.

EDIT: beat me to the 2nd gear dealo

·
lɐʇuǝɯᴉɹǝdx&#4
3,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My advice would to be ride it & check if it shifts cleanly without noise or stiffness then accelerate hard in 2nd & see if it jumps or makes a noise before buying, I would also say it will happen at some point so factor the work & the price of parts involved into your buying.

Yeah, that jibes with what I was reading. Seems the diagnose is just to test ride, make sure the shift is smooth, and put some pressure on the lever in 2nd, make sure it doesn't jump out. I'm guessing the current owner is NOT a squiddy (they tend not to do things like heated grips). Hopefully if I get it, I can dodge that 2nd gear bullet for long enough that the repair won't be to big an annoyance. There seems to be plenty of info available about how to fix the problem.

Chances are it's been cared for as it should. $2200 is dirt cheap. A fair early 1100/1200 non abs should be around $2500-4000.
I'd expect to pay more given what the bike offers, but $2000 or so seems to be the going rate around here. That one is a bit nicer looking than most. I'd have no bad feelings about preserving it as a stock example from ye olde days of power sporte. I remember seeing a lot of FJ's in California when I was out there in 1989 for a while, usually with luggage mounted on the rear, and (if the road was at all open) usually passing you doing at least 90 mph. :)

·
Remi's Dad
17,593 Posts
When i picked mine up. I drove it home 70 miles. Loved it. No back ache or sore wrists. No ass sores. No high speed vibes from the bars.

I've been wanting one for a while. But i'll probably settle on a b1200 because they are too pricey around here.

·
Is my bike ok?
15,025 Posts
It's easy to say this when it's someone else's money, but I'd be all over that. That's a lot of bike for the money IMO. And the 2nd gear issue sounds like simple parts changing. I'm assuming you'll need to split the cases when the time comes, but at least you won't have to send anything off for machine work.

Gorgeous bike bud. I hope you are able to get what you want.

·
lɐʇuǝɯᴉɹǝdx&#4
3,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm definately leaning that way. Current owner is second owner, sounds like he just doesn't ride it enough to justify keeping it.

Main challenge is convincing myself my familly will be OK even if I splurge on a 'toy' like this. Never been an option... well, except for buying nearly as costly bicycles one part at a time.

·
lɐʇuǝɯᴉɹǝdx&#4
3,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Looking at this '87 FZR1000 as an alternative; the $700 price difference might be a dtermining factor in how quickly or even if I can afford it. Not sure I trust a 'big bore kit' on 25+ yo a bike with under 20k miles, and the FJ appeals on the basis of looks and the air cooled engine. Still, its a FZR1000 ....

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/ank/mcy/4926015996.html

·
lɐʇuǝɯᴉɹǝdx&#4
3,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Nice, but a bit out of my price range. $2200 is pushing it; I'm gonna be low-balling he guy when I go look at the FJ, because I won't have the full cash for at least another week.

I know the EXUP offers a good bit more power, but TBH I really don't need more than 100hp. Does the later model offer any other notable advantages? I mean, aside from styling changes, which can be argued either way (IMO the seat on the '87 is plain hideous, but the rest is pure awesome '80s).

·
Premium Member
1,336 Posts
More power, better handling, more modern everything. It was a pretty big upgrade from first to second generation. Besides, it's Craigslist. It's made for lowballing.

·
Remi's Dad
17,593 Posts
I did a big bore on one of my fj motors. Beasty sound and torque to rip your arms off. Lots of aftermarket support (because the 1100/1200 are popular motors for legend car racers)

Crank can hold about 275/300 before its snaps.

A cheap overbore (also did this) is using the 1200 cylinder block and/or jugs.
Everything bolts up. Cometic has the special gasket for the 1100/1200 base and ect. I've experimented on gsxr carbs on an fj ( not too in depth) Also see a few guys successfully use zx1000 carbs as it has the same acing.

I regret though not restoring the body work on any of mine. Its really comfy not too much fairing plus the frame looks wack without its fairing.

Is it yours yet :)

·
lɐʇuǝɯᴉɹǝdx&#4
3,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Looking at it early tomorrow morning, will have half the asking price in hand. Unfortunately that's all I can clear this week; I forgot Uncle Scam got to take a bite of my bonus, and at the rate he'd get if I got one every paycheck. If the seller doesn't take my (admittedly lowball) offer, I'll have to walk ... playing poor man's hardball I guess. I hate to be a tire kicker, but that's my life.

Unless I cut into my next paycheck rather deep or get a screaming hot deal, I have a feeling anything I can afford, probably either has problems that could stall out my riding season, or is gonna be disappointing to ride. Performance wise, I've been spoiled by my imagination. Might be better to roll limited funds into my project build and other needs.

·
lɐʇuǝɯᴉɹǝdx&#4
3,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Eh, I called the test ride off, between taxes and bills I couldn't evrn make a realistic low ball offer. Maybe it will still be around in a week and he'll be that much more eager to sell.

·
lɐʇuǝɯᴉɹǝdx&#4
3,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
1 - 20 of 20 Posts