Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I guess I will be calling this home for a long while.

A little background:
I'm 24, live in Central, FL (DeLand, for those of you who know the area), and have wanted a bike since I rode with my brother when I was 12. I was going to get one before a car, but after being told get a car first, I got a car. Then 4 cars later I finally got a bike. I picked up a Suzuki Bandit 600 off of craigslist. The guy was asking $1000 and took $650. Being a new guy to bikes, I wasn't really sure what to look for. He told me it needed new coils and the battery needed to be charged. *Side note* I'm an impulse buyer, and don't take the time to test things out before dishing out the money. I get a litte too excited.* So he had the bike hooked up to his car and tried starting it. It turned over, but no start. You can hear the compression from the exhaust, which he mentioned. The bike had no gas in it, so I thought that it sounded like the bike would start if I put new coils in it. So I did like I always do, and bought it.

That's basically where I'm at now. I have the bike at my house. I've been cleaning it up waiting for the coils I got from ebay to arrive. I noticed that he had the 3rd and 4th plugs reversed. So I put them in the right order, put some gas in it, and tried jumping it, but no luck. So I'm hoping when I put the new coils in it fires up.

Other things I've noticed since it's been at the house:
The front shocks are pretty much gone, I think. When I roll the bike forward and hit the front brakes the front end goes down pretty far. The seal on one side goes up and stays up on the shock.
There's oil dripping from both side of the bike. He said he changed the seals, but maybe he didn't do it right? It's not a steady drip, very slow. Dripped more on the right side when I tried to jump it.
The last thing I noticed was oil looks like it might have been coming out from the left side of the front caliper. When I cleaned the oil off, I squeezed the front brake and tried to see if oil was coming from the line, but I didn't see anything. So I'm thinking maybe it was from the shock? Seeing how it is on the same side the seal is off the shock.

The plans!:
-Get rid of the headlight mask. I think I'm going for either the 7" round light or the dominator style headlight.
-Swap the frontend for a whole GSXR 750/1000 frontend as well as rear shock.
-R6 tail swap.
-Koso RX2 gauges.

Sorry for the long first post. I could really use some help, and am ready to research my eyes out on here. Praying that it fires up when I get the coils tomorrow or Wednesday.

·
|||||||||||||||||||||||||
30,382 Posts
Sounds like the frontend needs a rebuild. Pretty easy to do and probably under $40 DIY. The fork oil is probably dripping from the caliper. Rebuild the front and then check the brakes.

Did he tell you why he thinks the coils are the culprit? I don't think they are known for going bad.

...and welcome to CF!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys!

Sounds like the frontend needs a rebuild. Pretty easy to do and probably under $40 DIY. The fork oil is probably dripping from the caliper. Rebuild the front and then check the brakes.

Did he tell you why he thinks the coils are the culprit? I don't think they are known for going bad.

...and welcome to CF!
Uhh, he was saying he tested some stuff, but I can't remember what exactly. For some reason he came to the conclusion it was bad coils. I'm leaning towards something else (but hoping he's right), especially since he had the plug wires in the wrong spots. I did start to test the spark, but stopped for some reason. The first plug had a spark, but very little. Maybe the plugs causing the issue. The bike will definably be getting a tune up. Oh, by the way it has 35k on it.

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Welcome to CF....
If its turning over but not starting spray some hard start or carb cleaner into the airbox then try again. If it starts carbs need cleaning but you should take them off anyway just have a look at what the insides look like. Also try just a new battery when I got Yzf 750 the guy wanted $1200 but couldn't get it to start so I told him a grand because I'd have to work on it and all it was (at first) was the battery. Good luck anymore questions just ask away

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Welcome to CF....
If its turning over but not starting spray some hard start or carb cleaner into the airbox then try again. If it starts carbs need cleaning but you should take them off anyway just have a look at what the insides look like. Also try just a new battery when I got Yzf 750 the guy wanted $1200 but couldn't get it to start so I told him a grand because I'd have to work on it and all it was (at first) was the battery. Good luck anymore questions just ask away
I tried jump starting it with no luck. I'm going to have to dig my battery charger out and give that a try. I didn't think about the carb cleaner though. There's independent filters on each, so would I just spray into those, or take them off?

Thanks for the help!

·
Bitches love Fighters
5,325 Posts
welcome in. glad you plan on ditching that light

Reactions: oldrider

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Spray into each.
It worked. It started, then died three times. I didn't want to spray any more because I was scared I would burn them out. Then I squeezed the fuel line before the filter and saw bubbles go into the filter. (I remembered the guy saying that he buit a new gas valve!) So I turned the valve from on ON to OFF, and tried it spraying carb cleaner in one more time and BINGO! Now I just have to adjust the carbs, because with the choke off, it's idling at 4,500 RPM and backfiring. I'm pretty sure that knob below the carbs adjust them, but I didn't want to mess with it not knowing what I was doing. I'm just glad it started up! Now to change the gaskets, cause oil leaks pretty bad when its running on the right side.

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Glad to hear it started and yes that knob adjust the idle it probably has a Phillips head screw in the middle. You adjust with the screw and a screw driver. While you're at changing the gasket, oil change, filter change, replace spark plugs you should really open up the carbs and see what they look like inside. Probably need a good cleaning and to check your jet sizes because pod filters will make your make your bike run like SHIT if it doesn't have a stage 3 jet kit. While you're doing all that you might want to read up on carbs they're not as scary as everyone makes them out to be. Here's a great link to learn what they do
http://www.iwt.com.au/mikunicarb.htm

·
Premium Member
20,726 Posts
Welcome to CF! Very nice intro & project! :D

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the info. Will definitely check that out.

Thanks for the welcome guys!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Fast ZX-12R
17,522 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

·
WHO DARES WINS RODDERS
460 Posts
Welcome mate. BTW get rid if the in-line fuel filter. Its not supposed to have one as it already has one in the petcock (gas tap). All it will add to is restriction of the gas to the carbs. :)

·
Soo FOOKIN close!
2,095 Posts
Welcome in dude! You will find enough information from the members on this site to BUILD your own bike - just ask :D

Welcome mate. BTW get rid if the in-line fuel filter. Its not supposed to have one as it already has one in the petcock (gas tap). All it will add to is restriction of the gas to the carbs. :)
Rich, do you have a picture of the filter on the petcock?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts