Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
GURU
1,496 Posts
nice i dont have a rear stand so thats exactly how i have to lift mine. fast work there bro. keep it up.

·
Flashburnt
3,886 Posts
The trick to removing the carbs, is to go to your hardware store and get an 18" #2 phillips screwdriver. Then, you do the outside 2 carbs on each side. On the left side, you can go ahead of the motor mount, on the right side, I believe you have to go through the motor mount. Get a flashlight to help you aim in there. Make sure you get some good pressure on the screw when you go to loosen the clamps as they like to strip out the heads easily.

·
VP of Daily Operations
7,472 Posts
kaz u have a pretty clean bike to start with..... i cant wait to see the build unfold. any idea of a budget on the build? ie.... u gonna get any $$$$ parts on there? usd front end or anything like that?

·
My son Logan - 6/12/10
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm trying to spend as little as possible actually... as most of you know my wife is pregnant now... so were saving for that and we might be opening a new business in Georgia in a year or two... gotta prioritize now...

But I do have alot of fairings and some spare parts I will be selling on CL or ebay to fund my project so I hope that goes well.

I'm not doing too much mechanically, but just cleaning her thoroughly and paint. The only mechanical things I'll be changing are... swapping a 900rr rear rim in there, ducati monster tail (seems to be a popular thing here..lol.) and guages/headlights, and then repainting and thats it...

I'm thinking of doing a custom front and rear hugger as well as a custom cowl. All in sheet metal and then paint
I would love to do a Koso guage like this one...

but I don't think I'll have the $$ for that beauty... :(

Kaz

·
Administrator
50,493 Posts
Good deal Kaz,yew bin workin hard mate ...Git them carbs apart and cleaned now yew gottem off bro..(carefully)

·
Eff Tee Pee
29,610 Posts
kaz i have those gauges on my 929 and love them. super nice.

the diaphragm on the carb looks like its broken or seperated there?? front side of the pic? looks like theres some seperation there? am i :nuts:

·
My son Logan - 6/12/10
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah... I took the diaphragm off and cleaned everything in there as well...

followed this carb clean walkthrough on CBRForums..
http://cbrforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=96888

took mine off like in this pic...

now how do I get it to stick back in there..? thats the problem I'm having... it won't stay in the groove there...
:oops:

·
Flashburnt
3,886 Posts
I don't see why it won't go back in place. Mine always do, and I've had them apart many times. Did you spray the rubber with some sort of cleaner that doesn't jive with it, and might make the rubber swell? I've seen rubber parts swell bad, even normal carb cleaner, makes my rubber gloves swell. It may have made it swell so it doesn't fit.

·
My son Logan - 6/12/10
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't see why it won't go back in place. Mine always do, and I've had them apart many times. Did you spray the rubber with some sort of cleaner that doesn't jive with it, and might make the rubber swell? I've seen rubber parts swell bad, even normal carb cleaner, makes my rubber gloves swell. It may have made it swell so it doesn't fit.
ahh.... that makes sense... I got it in after I let it dry out for an hour or two but thats good to know for future reference.

I was trying to hold it in there with like three fingers and rub the rest in but a little bubble would always pop up somewhere else when I tried to push it in.. :doh:

·
My son Logan - 6/12/10
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So were moving along.... pretty excited to start work on cleaning up the swinger and frame...

that is all for now... gotta go get some sleep caus' I wake up early as hell tomorrow!

Kaz

·
fighter transplant in NC
14,319 Posts
get a good measurement on how much you need taken off the carrier and send it down. we'll get you in business real quick. build is lookin great. and congrats on the wifey bein pregnant. we (me and my wife) are also expecting. I cant believe how fortunate I am to be able to build while expecting. allot of people just cant make it happen no matter how little time/money you put into it. just another thing to be thankful for. good luck.

I actually just helped my buddy get his F2 going today. the first time we took the carbs off to clean they were an absolute nightmare to remove. no because the screws were so hard to get to, but more because even with the clamp screws loose the boots were still too stiff to move anything!! but we got it done. and after my buddy put plenty of time in cleaning them it runs like a top. def worth the time it takes for a very thorough cleaning

Reactions: ROBBO

·
My son Logan - 6/12/10
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
hey... so I've been playing around with the carrier and rear brake rotor on each rim... trying and fitting each one... taking random measurements here and there...lol..

whats the best way to find how much I need to remove from the carrier to re-center...?

I measured the f2 rim with the carrier in place width-wise... and then measured the 900 rim with the carrier on there same way and if I go by that, then I'll need 1/2" removed.. does that sound right..?

one thing thats throwing me off is the rear brake bracket... this thing...

its supposed to sit between the rim and swingarm.. I can't get the 900 rim to fit in the swinger with that piece on...

any help *cough*flint*cough :D would be greatly appreciated...

Kaz

·
fighter transplant in NC
14,319 Posts
Alright. Easiest way to center the wheel is to measure from the casting line to the swingarm on both side on the original wheel. Then replace it with the new wheel and shim it in place using the casting line as your reference. Once that's in place use a straight edge to establish how much you need to take off the sprocket carier.

Reactions: 929_adam

·
My son Logan - 6/12/10
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
quick question... does the swingarm have to be on the frame to do this..? I guess it does now that I think about it... gotta line up with the front sprocket and chain yes..?

I'll try to photo the measureing process so you can check if I'm doing it right.

If all else fails I'll just mail you both wheels and the swingarm.. ok..? :D

Kaz

·
fighter transplant in NC
14,319 Posts
Technicly no. The swinger doesn't need to be in the bike. Just put the old wheel in, tighten it up and measure you centerline. Then measure for you sprocket the same way. Then mount your new wheel. Center it. Then you measure from your swingarm to the sprocket, from both sides if possible. The difference between the two measurements is how much needs to be machine off the carrier. Its best if you use a dial calipers for this type of stuff.

·
Eff Tee Pee
29,610 Posts
whats the benefit of switching the rims?? 900 a bit wider i assume?

·
My son Logan - 6/12/10
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
yeah.. the 900 is a 5.5"rim and the F2 rim is 4.5" Stock tire size is 160 and I'm looking to go 180.. I could have used an F3 but I found a really good deal on this one and even on the F3 rim, I'd still be pinching the 180 tire on there... an F3 rim was meant to take a 170...

I know it will slow me down in the turns a little but that ok since I'm still fairly new to riding overall.. so a little more stability will be good... but I'm also taking into account the new F4i rear shock will raise the tail an inch or so over the old rear shock... so it kinda balances each other out...

bigger rear tire = a little slower in the turns + raised rear end = slightly sharper handling = which then comes back to almost where I started...

we'll see how it turns out when when I start putting the damn thing back together and am able to actually ride the thing and see how different she feels ... someday... ;) :shocker:

·
Administrator
50,493 Posts
Well done Kaz,you are now officially in no mans land (no sane man that is ha ha ):D

1 - 20 of 96 Posts