Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, very excited to say this week I will Be picking up a 74 yamaha dt250, and well I had been doing some research on these bikes and already have a few questions

1.) first question (and a bigger deciding factor on the build). I've owned a little 2 stroke chopper when I was younger, only got to ride it a couple times before it got stolen but I was young nd dumb ne ways so probably better off lol
I've noticed that this is a popular cafe style? Racer and I like that look, but I'd like know exactlywhat potential she could have, can I install a more powerful, modern engine to the 5 speed trans, can it be done period? Lol

2.) I've found the fork conversion for the bearing size, but how exactly do iknow what can fit and what's the right length?

3.) is there any kind of modification that can be done to the rear swing arm? Aka modern conversion swap

4.) if by doing any of this can I get away from a tubeless tire withouthaving to tape the inside of the wheel, I'f this is all possible I'd hate to run tubes lol and if I can find a conversion to disc brakes would be greatly appreciated also
|
|
---- and as far as the brakes go am I correct to understand that doing a fork conversion would at least gain me front disc?

Thank you very much guys, happy riding

Reactions: oldrider

·
Premium Member
20,726 Posts
Welcome to CF Kansas dude, from an old Kansas broad! ;) Sounds like you have some cool ideas & someone will read your intro, (who knows more than I do) & will get you some answers. Best of luck & DO start a build thread when you get her please? We like to watch the bikes progress. :D

·
Forearm of Steel
2,581 Posts
Hey guys, very excited to say this week I will Be picking up a 74 yamaha dt250, and well I had been doing some research on these bikes and already have a few questions

1.) first question (and a bigger deciding factor on the build). I've owned a little 2 stroke chopper when I was younger, only got to ride it a couple times before it got stolen but I was young nd dumb ne ways so probably better off lol
I've noticed that this is a popular cafe style? Racer and I like that look, but I'd like know exactlywhat potential she could have, can I install a more powerful, modern engine to the 5 speed trans, can it be done period? Lol

2.) I've found the fork conversion for the bearing size, but how exactly do iknow what can fit and what's the right length?

3.) is there any kind of modification that can be done to the rear swing arm? Aka modern conversion swap

4.) if by doing any of this can I get away from a tubeless tire withouthaving to tape the inside of the wheel, I'f this is all possible I'd hate to run tubes lol and if I can find a conversion to disc brakes would be greatly appreciated also
|
|
---- and as far as the brakes go am I correct to understand that doing a fork conversion would at least gain me front disc?

Thank you very much guys, happy riding
What part of Kansas are you in? Im in the south central part of the state.

To answer your questions,

1. Yes an engine swap is possible. Mounts and sprocket location will be key.

2. There's some really good reading about which set of forks work well, including all the angles and stuff on the forums here, go dig!

3. Same as #2. There's a lot of conversions done here all the time done by some really innovative people here.

4. Fork swap and a swingarm swap shoukd set you up to run modern tires and good disk brakes.

Best of luck. Post up a build thread soon!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the interest, im going to get the bike tonight
ill have to post pictures when i get her home, pretty excited about it. It sounds like the carb needs rebuilt and lights slapped on .... thats what im hoping for anyways lol

and im in topeka

Reactions: oldrider
1 - 4 of 4 Posts