Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gentlemen:

I just signed up today. Not much to share yet. For now I'm mostly here to lurk.

My bike is an '85 V65 Sabre in need of quite a lot of cosmetic attention and at least its share of mechanical work. I picked it up about a year ago and have been letting it languish outside while other things took priority. I think now I may as well do something with it. Here's the only decent photo I have of this turd sandwich.

Pretty useless, I know. I thought I had some others but they went missing.

Most of the bike has been extensively spray-bombed, including a hideous rattle-can flame job. The poorly mounted bikini fairing is supposedly from an early Interceptor. There is a ducktail spoiler grafted onto the tail - possibly CB1100F. There will obviously be a lot of black paint to remove and lots of bodywork to replace or repair. The bike already has a top end oiler installed. Mufflers are from a Kawasaki Concours and actually fit fairly well, but the innards have been thoroughly beaten through. I am tempted to remove the exhaust chamber under the bike and join left cylinders into one muffler and right cylinders into another for a different sound. When I bought it, it ran, but the starter clutch jingled badly. The three bolts holding the unit together had all loosened (typical on these things) and were allowing everything to move around. The bolts took some abuse but the clutch itself isn't bad. The rollers have a few smallish flat spots on them and the gear's machined surface has some unevenness to it now, but it's functional. I also replaced the starter solenoid but there is some ratty wiring to correct before it'll start off the button. When shorted with an end wrench, the starter cranks strongly and the engine starts right away. There's very little mechanical noise from the engine, nothing unusual, no smoke or leaks, no funny noises, no smells. Obviously it needs a tune and some carb cleaning, probably wants the valves adjusted just on principle, but so far, it's very promising.

I have no concrete plans for this junkpile of a motorcycle. Mostly I want to clean off all the crap that makes it look really dated and lumpy. I came here to see what other people are doing with this type of bike, not because I have a solid vision to implement. It may end up more like a bobber or...hell, I don't know. It may have three wheels when I am done. Maybe four. Maybe a propellor.

So that's the bike. As for me, I have not done much street riding on big bikes, but spent many years on dirt bikes and dual-sports (on and off the road) back when we called them enduros. I haven't ridden much at all in the last seventeen or eighteen years now. I'm in no hurry to test my limits (nor the bike's) and have nothing to prove.

Also, I am happy to share what I know and help where I can, but I am old and grumpy and not a lot of fun to be around. Being provoked by internet tough guys and/or high school dropouts is just tedious. So I will be keeping quiet and thinking about motorcycles here rather than engaging in community grabass.

That's probably about all there is to share for now. Looking forward to learning what I can.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, Vikrant! It's a big old cumbersome beast, but should be fun...someday.

That big green panel is the hood from the PO's old Mopar project. I want to say it's a Dodge Dart, but it's been too long to be certain

·
Forearm of Steel
2,581 Posts
lots of grabass'n around these parts.... just kiddin. just don't venture too far into the Bitch forum and we're all pretty tame.

Welcome to CF

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks! I was refering more to the internet jackassery that seems to infect some forums. Friendly competition and ribbing are great, but too much bragging and one-upsmanship is just a hemorrhoid looking for a home. You know how some places have that high school locker room vibe, lots of virtual towel-flicking and swirlies and all that mess? Not my thing. Getting too old for that. And someone always breaks a tooth on the toilet bowl when the dink who is bigger than everyone else (because he got held back two years straight) gets a little carried away with his romantic advances.

Anyway, thanks for the welcome! I also took a quick look at yr transformation. Very cool. I like the look. Chunky, but tidy. Must be a lot of fun.

Maybe this weekend I'll make some room in the garage and drag the old battleship indoors.

·
Premium Member
20,726 Posts
Welcome to the addiction DarkMonohue! I believe you're going to feel like family in nothin' flat! ;) I like the "turd-sandwich" & she'll be looking sexy before you know it! ;)

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No opportunity for photos last weekend. Poor old thing is still decaying outside the garage. Maybe next weekend I'll make some progress.

At this point I'm not sure whether I want to go close to stock, fighter, bobber, barhopper, or just take all the crap off and let the bike start talking to me.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts