Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
CB350Cafe first build
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
have you guys every used one of these setups? They seem pretty killer for starting your glass patterns...

http://hotwirefoamfactory.com/K40_Pro_Model_Kit_1Tool.html

Maybe you have some recommendations? I have seen the do it yourselfers on YT...I think I want to buy a kit though...gonna be working on a custom tail, and eventually a bubble fairing for my cafe.

I've never done glass, but I can see there is a ton of 'been there done that' reading I need to avail myself to.

·
Ridin Dirty
377 Posts
I made one like on the far right, but I have a programmable battery charger that's puts out whatever amps and volts, I use it for seat foam. Never on any other kind..I imagine the fumes would be horrible ..it would cut like a lazer and be very unforgiving, I had to use a jig to cut things straight holding the ends of the wishbone against the jig ,free handing is not really feasable..and it cuts that foam really slowly..you can't turn heat up or the wire will burn out.it gets delicate when hot and snaps if you cut to fast..
A kit would be nice but take into consideration how wide and deep it can cut, as I built mine larger than
those tools you shown..

·
Registered
152 Posts
I realize that we were just talking about this in my thread about my homemade cutter project, but just for price comparison, I've got about 25 dollars into it so far. That covered the 12.6v/2amp transformer, the 6 pin dc pot, the 3 wire ac dimmer and a pack of shiny silver knobs to go with them. The powersupply box, fan, toggle switch, and fuse were all procured from our shops vast amount of junk piled up against the walls. I wanna add a dig. volt/ampmeter as well, which will be another 20 I think. as far as all the cool little attachments, personally I think i'll be satisfied rigging up the mile long roll of old guitar strings (I never throw anything away) to various makeshift handles and brackets. that's just me though, i like making things from scratch. then again i still haven't quite got this thing working yet either

·
CB350Cafe first build
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I appreciate you chiming in here and letting me know where you are at. The more I started reading and researching the homemade ones, I am not really going to pursue that kit as tempting as it is.

The focus for my build now is on my rearsets, and then maybe some glass which will necessitate me figuring out this foam cutter!

I will post-up when I get there! Thanks! I am following your progress though! Keep on keepin on!

·
Ridin Dirty
377 Posts
I think my charger runs it on 14v
I use the thinnest wound guitar string
All the thinner ones snap and turn to a crisp
When you build one ,put a spring with hook
To attach one end of string, so wire always has tension
They stretch and contract with heat...

·
Registered
152 Posts
eh sorry, i'm afraid i had to put it on hold for a while and hadn't got much further. i volunteered to help a friend drop a 2.2 into his s10 for some tattoo work but the fucker failed to mention the motor was gonna be yanked out of a cavalier sitting at the scrap yard. :shootme:

i managed pull everything back out last night, cleaned up the wiring and got the ac side to working but im still not sure what to do from the transformer out.
. I've got one black to the dimmer and the other black from the same side back to the wall but as to which wires to use on what coming out of the dc side??? any advice? I've got a 6 pin audio pot that i'm thinking i wanna add to the circuit to fine tune things and attempt different sized strings, but i only made it thru one year of electrical trades and i was shooting in the dark once i got past the dimmer switch. i've got current passing thru all three wires when putting them on the meter, but it gets to humming pretty loudly at just a quarter turn on the dimmer and i'm afraid to go much further up not knowing which wires were supposed to be doing what.

on the flip side, my dad gave me an old drill press he had with a burnt up motor.:Evil_smile: i spent about an hour dismantling it earlier and i thinking im going to end up pulling the project box back apart and wire my transformer set up inside the top of the this thing where the drive belt was. i can attach my guitar string to the base and the spring loaded head will hold tension on the line for me. only thing i've got to figure out on it is how to insulate the wire so that its not grounding out on the cast.

·
Ridin Dirty
377 Posts
Don't know what to tell you about that transformer, Bud
I tried a couple of 12v adaptors, up to 4 amps
They never would run the thicker wire I needed

I'm thinking that both yellow wires are +12v and you may could
Put the dimmer on one yellow and tie that output to
The other yellow to make the voltage adjustable from 12-24v
But I doubt it's that simple

You can use the grooves on a spark plug insulator to guide wires on
Or any bit of ceramic..

There's a site called deals extreme where you can buy power
Gadgets on the cheap...

·
Registered
152 Posts
guy your a fucking genius. will the spark plugs work but it gave me some ideas making the angle of the string adjustable. because i'm lazy i just set up my mac's automatic flicker/iphoto account so i don't have to do anything but snap the photo's with my ipod from now on. maybe now i can get around to posting that build thread i've been meaning to do...
here's the link: https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/72157645306769065/

the transformer i picked up is a 12.6v/2 amp. it was either that or a 6v/3amp at the store. I wanna upgrade it later beings that i'm incorporating so much control over the power. I'll probably remove both pots and relocate them to the top of the machine as well as put a dig volt/amp meter on the lid in the front. i also need to do away with the computer fan and cell phone transformer and just find a small ac fan that will fit over that hole in the back. once i figure out a way hold back up and get the damn pulley of the top i should have plenty of room in there for all of that.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.