Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
All star !!!
6,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...I am looking to see where people get their bearings and stuff from, if not the dealers. I will need the standard stuff, like cam and crank bearings, piston compression and oil rings,etc. I already have all the gaskets I need, outside of a valve cover gasket.

I have rebuilt car motors, and done the top end(head swap) as well as swapping trans' on the GSXR inline 4, but never the whole motor. Do I need anything special other than a ring compressor that will fit the small diameter pistons, and maybe a valve compressor?

Now that I am done with my SV1K mods, its time to get going on my fighter project. :party-smiley:

·
the mad doctor
3,399 Posts
bikebandit.com, ronayers.com, mrcycles.com, or, just any dealer.

a word of advise though. pay attention when you're putting the case halves back together. some bikes have small pins that locate the transmission bearings, and they HAVE to line up right in the cases. i seen people ruin cases b/c they didn't see the locating pins, and they torqued the cases together and messed them up.

if you've done a trans swap, and a head swap, you've pretty much had the motor at parade rest, so you shouldn't have any problems.

assembly lube is your friend!!

·
All star !!!
6,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh, I know all about those pins...LOL...thanks.

OK, thanks for the replies guys.

I'll probably post up pics as I go, since it will be the first amount of real work I am doing on my fighter project.

Just for kicks, here's a link to my trans rebuilding thread over on SVR:

http://forum.svrider.com/index.php?topic=70223.0

Its a long read, well, three pages, but you get to see my excellent shop...um, living room. LOL

·
313 Posts
I have never used a ring compressor on bikes.
I just use my nails. They work pretty well.

I am pretty sure you are stuck using the manufacturers plain bearings.

·
Function IS Form
19 Z900, 88 Kat11
17,434 Posts
When I rebuild my busa motor I'm going to use ceramic bearings and shoot for a 125,000 mile before rebuild. Around 75 most raced busas lose a bearing so I'm stoppin at 50k and makin a tank out of it.

·
the mad doctor
3,399 Posts
haelo said:
When I rebuild my busa motor I'm going to use ceramic bearings and shoot for a 125,000 mile before rebuild. Around 75 most raced busas lose a bearing so I'm stoppin at 50k and makin a tank out of it.
since drag racing is so freakin big in the south, there's ALOT of busa's running around here, and i've built more than my share of em. from my experience, they seem to have #2 rod bearing "issues" at around 30-35k. but then again, you're probably not beating your bike the way the guys here do. i don't mean any offense by that, just saying that these guys street race ALL the time, and abuse the hell out of the motors. take a good look at your oil every time you change it, if you see any copper "dust" floating around in it, you may be getting ready to spin a bearing. seems to happen alot on busa's.

·
Function IS Form
19 Z900, 88 Kat11
17,434 Posts
Yeah every busa motor I've rebuilt has been #2 or #3, usually #2 spun. Everyone I know who rides normally and does occassional high-RPM stuff has gotten 75k, but I don't hang out with street racers.

·
All star !!!
6,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I will def take pics...like I always do. It should be exciting.

I actually have two motors to break down, and merge the best parts into one.

One was a motor that I had to put a head on and get the timing chain squared away..which I was doing to get done like a week before a track day...long story short, I got it back together and in the bike, took it around the block, and it proceeded to drop a valve..which is common with the 01 Gix 600 motors, from what the mechanics I have talked to. MOTOR B

I took the original motor that was in the bike, when I bought it, and had it professionally rebuilt, because it had wicked bad compression and leakdown. It was seemily crashed during a race, and they weren't running an airbox....sand got in the motor and was keeping the valves partially open. That motor went when I sold the track bike with it in it. MOTOR A

Along the way, I had also scored a motor for free, albeit half taken apart and rusted, sitting in some kids shed. MOTOR C

OK, so MOTOR A is outta the pic.

The engine builder that did my MOTOR A, said from dropping the valve....in MOTOR B, and it cracking the head off of it, he would not trust anything to be straight ( crank, cases, head, cams, etc)....so I am only going use just what I need from that motor...which will be Trans, timing chain, guides, and some gaskets, stator, etc.

I will be rebuilding MOTOR C, and using the above mentioned parts from MOTOR B...BUT, when MOTOR A had the trans go, I took it FROM motor C....so when I rebuild everything, I will use the trans from MOTOR B.

Follow all that? :skrooz:

·
the mad doctor
3,399 Posts
lol, i had to read it twice, but i got it eventually :D

i've built a motor like that too (a stroker 750 oil burner) always fun sifting thru a massive pile of parts and see what's in the best shape.

·
All star !!!
6,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
skr00zloose said:
lol, i had to read it twice, but i got it eventually :D

i've built a motor like that too (a stroker 750 oil burner) always fun sifting thru a massive pile of parts and see what's in the best shape.
By next week, I should all of the parts broken donw and laid out on the newly aquired work table.....pics will come.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts