Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

Fork adjustment

2K views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  Casper 
#1 ·
Hey guys. So I have a classic cafe looking bike and I took off the clip ons that were on it.I replaced with clubman's but now there is about an inch and a quarter of the forks sticking above the top triple clamp. Anyway if I adjust the forks so they are level with the triple will that effect the riding much?

#5 ·
If I read this right your clipons were the stock Honda type at around 30mm thick so...

....Fuck yeah its going to take a load of weight off the front if you shove the forks through to get the tops flush with the yoke & then its going to handle like a pissed pig on roller skates :nuts:
Agreed, unless it's the case like mentioned before and he is just returning the bike back to stock.

Is it a VF with stock clip ons originally mounted above the to clamp, or something else altogether?
If you really need to raise the bike see about lifting the rear and equal amount ( if ride height is stock now)to keep your geometry in order.

G
#4 ·
If I read this right your clipons were the stock Honda type at around 30mm thick so...

....Fuck yeah its going to take a load of weight off the front if you shove the forks through to get the tops flush with the yoke & then its going to handle like a pissed pig on roller skates :nuts:

#6 ·
There are way s of lowering the fork sliders in the fork or replacing the slider with one from another bike to shorten them. Research into your specific bike will need to be performed.

For instance though, the FZR600 forks come with triples on top of the top triple, the XJ600 comes with risers cast into the top triples. The FZR600 forks slide into the XJ600 triples, but at stock height the fork tubes run into the bars. If you take the XJ600 tubes and install them into the FZR600 stanchions, this problem is alleviated.

The fork legs for the dual disk Diversion (UK 1997+ XJ600) will accept the fork stanchions of the YZF600R (US) to allow the use of all 100 mm bolt spacing calipers (YZF-R6...).

Somewhere on here, there is a thread that goes over how to lower the tube in the forks (sacrificing some overall movement) by changing the spring layout. May want to look for that thread.

#7 ·
Hey guys thanks for the replys. I actually am doing these to a sym wolf classic. They used to make the Honda CB 125 and split from them to continue making them. Anyway stock the bike does have clip ons. I did adjust the forks level. It's not terrible but I would like it back. I am interested in replacing the rear shocks. Something a little higher as well as carry more weight.

#9 ·
Let me see if I am understanding your position...

You have lowered the front of the bike and don't like it. Reverted it back to stock, but like the bike's angle lowered and want to raise the rear?

or

You have raised the front of the bike and don't like the new handling. To correct the handling, you want to raise the rear?

#10 ·
Stock was clip on so I added clubman's. In order for the triple to be flush with the forks I had to raise the front. It rides OK now just not as good. So in answer to your question I raised the front and don't like it so I thought maybe raise the rear? I don't want to lower the front because then the forks would stick up again.

#12 ·
#14 ·
If it is a direct link shock, you will need to either get a longer shock or build an adapter that would sit in the old mount and give the right openings for the shock to mount (essentially just elongating the shock).

If it is a linkage shock, you can make or get new dog bones that will change where the knuckle sits on its travel to either raise or lower the rear end. Normally shorter dog bones lift the rear and longer dog bones lower the rear.

I have done what you have done on my SV. I have a set of R6 forks installed which originally came with clip ons above that I have pushed through the triples to be flush with the top. To counter act this increased rake angle which made the bike flop into turns, I have lift the rear end by 1.5" with dog bones. Only issue is that now the front and rear are 1.5" taller than stock and I am using a small wood block under my kick stand until I modify a kick stand to be longer.

#15 ·
Well I don't really know the difference between the two shocks and I can't seem to find anything online that answers my question. All I can say is it is the old fashion style with one shock on each side. They are adjustable but I have them all the way up.

#16 ·
Direct - Ninja 650R

Linkage - GSXR 600

Dual shocks - CB 1000

If you are using dual shocks, then you should measure your shocks from mounting bolt to mounting bolt (eye to eye) and then find out their spring rate. With those two, you can find a shock that will be 1) longer (an inch or two at most for this, go too crazy and the chain will want to hit the swingarm) and 2) similar spring rate (higher for stiffer or lower for softer, for your size I would try and find a stiffer pair).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.