Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been wanting to tidy up the front end with beefier forks, but I cant afford anymore downtime or costly parts, (maybe this winter or something I can get USD forks, etc)

but for now, is there simple and cost effective way to mod the forks I have now?
I was seeing PVC pipe + paint/vinyl as an option... its not a show bike, so my only concern is that it doesn't look BUTCHERED once completed. But simply getting some PVC pipe and cutting it long ways and wrapping it around the forks seems too easy, so I'm intrigued.

I used the search, and some member with a triumph did this, but he used gators for the bottom end... am i doomed to use them too?

there has to be another way around this.... input please. I'll follow the advice given, and post pics upon completion this weekend

·
Is my bike ok?
15,025 Posts
Yep. Look at the hard nickel coating that your fork seals are running against already. Chances are you can see some wear on the legs. Hard nickel is about 53,639,829 times tougher than vinyl.

Do you want covers to hide the fact that they are conventional forks, or are you worried about stanchion wear? Gators are the best things for protecting fork stanchions ever. But they look out of place on a modern bike IMO.
Sent from my SCH-R720 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yep. Look at the hard nickel coating that your fork seals are running against already. Chances are you can see some wear on the legs. Hard nickel is about 53,639,829 times tougher than vinyl.

Do you want covers to hide the fact that they are conventional forks, or are you worried about stanchion wear? Gators are the best things for protecting fork stanchions ever. But they look out of place on a modern bike IMO.
Sent from my SCH-R720 using Motorcycle.com Free App

honestly, its purely a cosmetic thing from my standpoint.

lol @ "53,639,829 times tougher than vinyl.":LolLolLolLol:

·
i cant fart
10,917 Posts
like what D-Don said, lots of cruisers use fork covers on the conventional forks. i always thought they'd actually be easier than up side downs.

use the triples for mounting and make sure there's enough room for the full length of suspension travel.

the white triumph u posted a pic is got some serious work and the dude that built it has skill, i have no idea how u can pull it off with them all the way down like that.

·
Registered
269 Posts
What about just REALLY tall fork gaurds. Picture your stock ones, but tall enough to reach the headlight, and wrap around the fork a bit more. Leave room for compression. Maybe put a small diameter tubing over the forks between the triples so you don't see a "spindly little fork" at the top of an oversized gaurd.

You'll either have to go REALLY beefy to clear the clamp portion of the lower triple, have a cutout for that clamp portion to stick out... and slide up and down in, or get a new slimmer lower triple (I know).

Keep in mind, if you have the fork covered mounted to the triples, you could run them down over the entire lower fork (could be what the triumph did). Basically, theres probably a cut out on the inside edge so the the forks can compress. This'll make mounting a fend quite a bit trickier.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts