Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Level III Kludger
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I've got another total noob question here:

I'm converting an 06 Ninja 650R. Is there anywhere I can buy a bracket to mount my stock gauges to the forks?

I realize that most guys can just fab one, but I don't have access to a welder. Right now, I'm running dual aftermarket headlights mounted to the forks, but I still have the mirrors and gauges mounted to the frame. It's so ugly!

·
Registered
3,247 Posts
There's millions of options for this really. If you google it, you'll come up with a ton of answers as well. What you will need to know of course, is what your fork diameter is, this will help you order the correct size, etc. I would post some pics of your setup, gauges, bike, etc. You might get a bit more help with pics. A quick search revealed this cheap setup:

http://www.powersports360.com/eshopprod_cat_6250-58260-31781_product_891101.DRAG_SPECIALTIES_UNIVERSAL_FOR.htm?utm_source=VersaFeed&utm_medium=VersaFeed&utm_content=Drag+Specialties+Universal+Fork-Mount+Marker+Light+Brackets&utm_campaign=base&v_traceback=c0925_0505_f0925_1842
But since none of us can read your mind, we can't tell you specific options. post some pics, give everyone an idea of what you're thinking, and hopefully you'll get more response.

BTW, welcome! Oh and as for me, I've got the same issue, still mocking things up, but your best bet is going to be making your own. You don't have to own a welder, I certainly don't and I'd venture to say that most members do not either. Go to your local HW store, look around.

Also, if you really start looking at other bikes, setups, etc, you'll notice that there's nothing magical about brackets. They simply do their job. Look around, make your own, that's the beauty of a Streetfighter right? Hope this helps, post pics and see if you can't get a better response.

·
Level III Kludger
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the input, twr3cks. You're totally right: some more info is in order.

Anyway, here is a pic of the current setup. You can see why this has *got* to change. :jpshakehead.sml:

So, to fix this ugliness I basically need to get rid of the stock meter bracket:

Here's a shot of how the gauges actually mount up:

Since posting this thread, I found a CF member-- Milimande-- who mocked up a simple bracket for the stock gauges on the same bike. I PM'ed him about it already. In his pics, it looks like he made something out of flat aluminum and secured it to two existing holes on the triple tree. I took a quick photo of that on my bike:

Looks like it's time to get to Lowe's and bust out the hacksaw.

·
Registered
3,247 Posts
I was just gonna say, hack that baby up! You've already got some of the essentials there, it fits your cluster, it has mounts to the bike, hack it up and see what you get. I plan on doing the same as my first choice. Half the work is already done. Great pics!

·
Flashburnt
3,886 Posts
What I originally did for a headlight bracket, was went to the hardware store with some measurements. I found some conduit mounts(they are a _n_ shape) that have a U with a flat tab on both sides. I bought a few at like a dollar a piece, bent them around my fork tubes(actually something the same size to protect my tubes), put some protective stuff inside them to not scratch, and bam. I'll see if I can find some pics. Total cost was like $4 with stainless hardware.

·
Fighter
127 Posts

·
Level III Kludger
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow, thanks for all the ideas guys. After seeing a few gauge brackets, I feel a lot more confident about fabricating something. I guess I just assumed that people welded stuff. It makes sense that for an application like this, good old-fashioned hardware will do the trick.

Fathead_03 and Z1K: awesome. Under the cost of a six pack is always good in my book! :thumbsup:

·
110 Posts
do yourself a favor and go buy a cheap dremel tool. you can get a can of 20 cut-off wheels for about 6 bucks(Home Depot) and a dremel (off brand) for $20. the job will go alot faster and look alot better when you're done.

I'm doing a cbr954 and had to fab a bracket.

Attachments

·
Level III Kludger
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks, S10. I will definitely Dremel my ass off when it's time to re-do the bracket. For now, I'm more or less stuck with what I created for $7, since my bike is my sole transport and I have to work in a buddy's garage.

Anyway, here's where I'm at now. Rough but functional:

·
639 Posts
I took a set of clamps off the cross bar for dirty bars then a flat piece of metal cut it up the way I needed it and mounted between my risers using the clamps on 7/8 bars. Umm I thinks I might have a photo ImageUploadedByMO Free1399584991.450865.jpg only one on my phone, will toss a better one up later. Zoom in to the middle of the bar and you can see the clamps.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
11 Posts
On my 636 I just drilled a hole into a hose clamp, screwed it to the guage, and tightened clamp to the triple clamp near the key. Total cost $0.30. Finding pic and will edit post when I do.

EDIT: I just realized how old this thread is. Nevermind lol

1 - 11 of 11 Posts