Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
The Hell You Say!!
2,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not too sure if this is in the right place so please move it if it isn't. I busted a fork seal today and need to replace it. The seals are only $10 but the drivers range from $40-$50 and I don't have that kinda cash right now. I was wondering if anyone would be willing to let me borrow one. I understand that shipping could cost just as much and if its going to I will just buy one, but I'm trying to avoid it. Any help would be greatly appreciated!! The fork is off of a 97 zx9r which is 41mm IIRC.

·
i cant fart
10,917 Posts
I have the tusk adjustable driver. I'd be more than happy to send it to u to borrow but like u said shipping there and back will just be about the cost. It was like 34$. But if u want, I'll get a shipping quote tomorrow and send it out asap.

·
Super Moderator
3,039 Posts
I have a 41mm seal driver I used on my Gsxr USD's. Nothing fancy just two weighted halves. Let me know if DrJ can't help you out.

Later, Doug

·
The Hell You Say!!
2,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm going to order the seals today and hopefully have them this weekend. I've got drill on Saturday and hunting season starts this weekend so I will have to really try to find some time to get it fixed

·
Registered
173 Posts
I've done about 10 sets of fork seals in my life and I always used the old fork seal. Just cut off about 1-2 mm from the circumference of the old one, turn it upside down and use a rubber mallet. Probably not as fast as the actual driver but it works.

·
sickboy
3,544 Posts
I find the zx9r provides a dangerously fun and bouncy ride when the fork seals are blown. I say leave it :thumbsup:

·
Here to F stuff up
144 Posts
There's another option similar to PVC. I used exhaust tubing from oreillys and just wrapped the end in electrical tape to protect the seal when I did the forks on my f2. Worked like a charm, and its cheap. Or at least for me since I work there.

·
The Hell You Say!!
2,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I can try that to. The pvc option sounds like the easiest. I'll know pretty quickly on Sunday what works best. I also have to figure out how much oil these take. taking them apart looks fairly simple. Looks like I take the fork cap off then remove the l lower and I should be able to get the seal out. Right?

G

·
The problem with using a piece of pvc pipe is it can cut into or mis-shape the new seal so as mentioned above i use the old seal to protect the new one, use the old seal the right way up & its easy to get out again if it gets stuck which does not happen often

Ive been doing it this way for 30 + years & not had a problem yet thats not related to bodges by the previous owners

·
The Hell You Say!!
2,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for all the help guys. I got them changed today. Wound up using the old seal to drive the new one in. Wasn't too hard once I figured out how to separate the fork tubes

1 - 19 of 19 Posts