Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So to start, I have 1997 suzuki bandit 1200 mostly stock aside from exhaust. anyways got cut off last weekend and it bent my forks, ive looked into swapping them before and now im forced to. So my questions:
when doing a fork swap why do you need to swap the whole front end?
maybe its something simple and Im just new and dont know but my thought is if i get forks of same diameter/length couldnt i just slip out the old and bolt in the new? reuse the rim, axle, triple, ect?
I found online it says my forks are 43 mm diameter, not looking to drop a lot of $ and only have basic tools so any help would be great. If already answered before sorry i couldnt find it. Thanks in advance

·
|||||||||||||||||||||||||
30,379 Posts
There are a few issues. Rim and new forks may have different axle diameters. Wheel may have different rotor face widths than that of the bike the new fork came from. Caliper mount may be a different distance than the bandit and mount spacing might be different.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, makes sense for rim and the brakes, what about the triple clamp and stem? or is that just to make sure the different rim/axle will fit?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Ok, makes sense for rim and the brakes, what about the triple clamp and stem? or is that just to make sure the different rim/axle will fit?
Different forks are different diameters. Depending on year even the same model can have different diameter forks. The trees and stem are the corresponding diameter of the forks

·
Four Gears, No Brakes
9 Posts
I'm going through this right now. Building an 1984 GPZ750 into a retro/modern muscle bike.
I'm working with an experienced builder and the advice he is giving me is that to avoid engineering each component to fit with all the other myriad of front end components, it's easiest to find a suitable complete front end. Then only engineering it to the stem head is what one is left with.

Granted I'm simplifying this but the details written about in an earlier reply about fitting one component to the next and so on spells out this complexity.

I've been looking at wrecked bikes for complete front ends. Measuring fork lengths.
My consultant helped me understand the difference in spending gobs of money on Ohlins, Marchesini, Brembo, fabricating the tree and clamps or finding new tech in a complete front end and grafting that on.

I think I found what I need. After I sort it out on Monday I'll post what I know.

In the case of my GPZ, I'm dealing with original fork length of 32" and 18" wheels. And looking to adapting 29.25" forks and 17" wheels. Original ground clearance is nearly 9". With the new setup the clearance is reduced by 3.25".

It doesn't sound like your case is going to such a dissimilar fork length.
You should have a good deal of options.
Good luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts