Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
sickboy
3,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I ended up scoring a set of super clean TL 52mm usd's off of eebay for $75 with the trips and all, I know good deal right.
NOW I need to make them fit on my 81 gs250 frame that I am building a super single cafe bike thingy magigger out of (will be posting build pics in a week or so).
So this is my idea... The INSIDE of the giant ass TL stem measures 26.5mm, the OUTSIDE of the gs250 stem measures 25mm. So I am thinking of slicing the TL stem off at the top of the bottom triple leaving the pressed in part of the stem in the triple. Then taking the gs250 stem and pressing it into the bottom stem inside of the TL stem piece essentially using it as a sleeve and then on the bottom I can weld the gs250 stem to the TL stem "sleeve" making it nice and solid.
What you guys think, anyone done it this way?

·
lb/hp is what it's about!
10,448 Posts
That's almost 1/16" of slope or 0.059" to be exact. That's WAY too loose.

Just press out the TL stem and have a proper bushing made. It will probably cost $40 max.

·
addict
370 Posts
im pretty sure ive seen this done before but 1.5 mm gap is a lot and you couldnt have that much slop. you would have to add some weld to the stem or something

i think if you just took it to a machine shop the could knock you out a sleeve and press you stem in for relatively cheap and while they're at it the could make a spacer for the top triple too cuz your going to need it

·
sickboy
3,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know .0295" per side is way too much for just a press fit, I just figured its enough to easily get it centered then I would weld it.

·
10,448 Posts
With 0.059" of slope the top of the steering stem could be a 0.5"or more off from where it should be. Sure the top triple will still fit the stem but there is no way in hell your forks will still line up. Even if you put the forks through the triples to try and keep it all straight that way and had the stem nut on the top and somebody holding the stem nut and stem down on the top triple to try and hold things straight it still wont be straight enough. Assuming the stock stem is a perfect fit for the stem hole in the TL upper you still have to consider if the faces of the washer are parallel, if the bottom of the stem nut is perpendicular to the threads, and even if the top of the triple is perpendicular to the stem hole. If those are off it will be compounded by the length of the stem so even if you managed to get the stem within 0.005" per inch parallel to the forks you will still have the front wheel about 0.125" off center because once again the number gets compounded by the length of the forks.

To make a long story short don't do it. Spend the money on the proper bushings.

·
sickboy
3,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
With 0.059" of slope the top of the steering stem could be a 0.5"or more off from where it should be. Sure the top triple will still fit the stem but there is no way in hell your forks will still line up. Even if you put the forks through the triples to try and keep it all straight that way and had the stem nut on the top and somebody holding the stem nut and stem down on the top triple to try and hold things straight it still wont be straight enough. Assuming the stock stem is a perfect fit for the stem hole in the TL upper you still have to consider if the faces of the washer are parallel, if the bottom of the stem nut is perpendicular to the threads, and even if the top of the triple is perpendicular to the stem hole. If those are off it will be compounded by the length of the stem so even if you managed to get the stem within 0.005" per inch parallel to the forks you will still have the front wheel about 0.125" off center because once again the number gets compounded by the length of the forks.

To make a long story short don't do it. Spend the money on the proper bushings.
Good points, this is why I need me a lathe lol. Time to call in some favors I guess.

·
sickboy
3,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
my r1 forks and my srad gsxr forks are both aluminum tube
ah yah did forget the r1 stem is aluminum, but still the majority are just steel.
look how thick that fooker is...

G

·
No sir, the tl stem is just mild steel, as are most stems for alot of bikes (r1 is aluminum as said below) because
A. Ti would be expensive as fuck and is WAY harder to machine
B. Aluminum would be too weak unless it was solid, look at r1 stem its silly thick.
and C. An aluminum stem would not work well with the steel roller bearings for very long as any time you get a steel part (the bearing) pressed onto an aluminum part (an ali stem) the dissimilar metals do not like each other and create galvanic corrosion which would make it a bitch to replace the bearing and would pit and ruin the steering stem in a matter of 6 months or so.
Well thats bollocks ..... well said & looks good written down but utter bollocks

Ive got a TL stem, a busa yoke with stem still in it, a couple of zx6R yokes, a 9R yoke & a 7R yoke all of which have ally stems & all of which use steel taper bearings :fu:

All the above are a lot more than 6 months old & none are pitted or ruined in any way i suggest you look into things before trying to put the new guy down & making yourself look daft :)

G

·
And while i'm at it .........

Even if it was a nice weldable steel stem (which it isnt) and you could make the GS stem a nice press fit (which you cant) try looking at the depth of the yoke which is much deeper than the Gs one

That means even if you could weld the gs stem in you would have to push the gs stem under the remains of the TL one to get the length back which means you would be welding right about where the snap ring goes IE the weakest spot on the lower part of the stem & the gs stem would not be fully supported

And if you look at the TL yoke from the bottom thats not a true representation of the dia of that stem due to it being slightly larger at the bottom to stop it pulling through the yoke & to help it seat on the snap ring

And why the hell do you think its got such a thick wall ?.............
Because its ally to make it lighter with a wall thickness to make as strong as a steel stem, a steel stem of that size & thickness would weigh a hell of a lot

Now please stop being daft & do it properly or not at all :D

·
sickboy
3,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Relax there 4cups, newb coming in talking shit calling me daft when I in no way insulted you, I called you Sir and gave a couple facts on bikes that im used to working on, that is all, if you would like me to edit it I will... there... all edited for ya. guess im just used to working with older bikes. and I dont know about your your TL if they are different in the UK than the US or mine has a different stem pressed in it or what but I am staring right at the stem with a magnet quite firmly stuck to it and a little surface rust on the bottom and the inside so unless you know some form of magnetic aluminum that rusts this daft boy is most definitely correct that the stem is steel in these forks. And as far as length, the GS stem is 9" on the dot to the top of the yoke and the Tl stem measures in a 8 7/8" to the top of the yoke so length and yoke thickness is most def not a problem.
So if your done being a prick, dont post in my thread unless you have something actually useful to say, k :fu:

·
10,448 Posts
If length would have been a issue you could make a taller stepped bushing.
Keep in mind that just because the overall lengths are similar doesnt mean it will still work. You need to see where the threaded portions start and stop and where the bearings actually sit on each stem.

·
sickboy
3,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
If length would have been a issue you could make a taller stepped bushing.
Keep in mind that just because the overall lengths are similar doesnt mean it will still work. You need to see where the threaded portions start and stop and where the bearings actually sit on each stem.
Ya, good reminder. I have em side by side and measured it all out, besides the diameter, the bearing locations and thread length is very similar. Just need a couple bushings which should be made this week (machinist buddy owes me one) and it should swap right over no issues. Hope it looks the way I want, I am not great at envisioning things but I always like the look of some fatty USD's on a cafe. :rock:

G

·
So if your done being a prick, dont post in my thread unless you have something actually useful to say, k :fu:
Well yes i was being a prick but hey it happens :oops: & i did have something useful to say & said it, what annoyed is the cocky bullshit & obvious bollocks you posted about ally stems & steel bearings, maybe something got lost in translation? :D

Just in case i was wrong i also had a magnet & tried to stick it to my TL, busa & kwack stems today ..... Guess what ..... no sticky so i guess all mine must be made of jelly babies or something ? just for fun i tried it on an Srad stem and well that one is chocolate ?

The point i was trying to make is why not save yourself some hassle & just turn up a complete stem to suit the yoke & headstock .... IE do it properly

Are you sure thats a TL yoke you have there not an older slingy one ? i'm 100% sure mine is off a TL as i removed it from a 700 mile bike myself hence being 100% sure its an ally stem

Good luck with it & dont kill yourself

·
sickboy
3,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well yes i was being a prick but hey it happens :oops: & i did have something useful to say & said it, what annoyed is the cocky bullshit & obvious bollocks you posted about ally stems & steel bearings, maybe something got lost in translation? :D

Just in case i was wrong i also had a magnet & tried to stick it to my TL, busa & kwack stems today ..... Guess what ..... no sticky so i guess all mine must be made of jelly babies or something ? just for fun i tried it on an Srad stem and well that one is chocolate ?

The point i was trying to make is why not save yourself some hassle & just turn up a complete stem to suit the yoke & headstock .... IE do it properly

Are you sure thats a TL yoke you have there not an older slingy one ? i'm 100% sure mine is off a TL as i removed it from a 700 mile bike myself hence being 100% sure its an ally stem

Good luck with it & dont kill yourself
Haha, man its all good, sorry wasnt trying to be a dick, was just super pissed when I typed that because I just got back from putting my sick dog down who was my best friend so I was pissed at the world.
Anyway, I also am confused so I did a bunch of research and measured and they are definitely 52mm forks. So if all of the tl1000s forks have ali stems they must have been miss labeled and must be zx7r forks? because I think they are the only 2 bikes that have 52mm forks right?

·
Super Moderator
3,049 Posts
Throw up a picture. I think the older Gsxr1100's were 52/56...I think...

Later, Doug

1 - 20 of 24 Posts