Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
What is so bad about curves? Jeebus. Shift what do you think of this? Sorry about the look of the tubing mspaint doesn't give too many options.

Nothing if you can account for their behavior. If a tube is bent it will allow further bending to a certain degree. I can't figure for that variable, so I will keep them straight. Plus I dig the look.

I am also still not convinced that the engine would have been hurt if hung as I was intending, but there were too many other issues with that setup to pursue it further. There are tons of examples of like engined bikes that I could come up with.

I am much more happy with this setup, cleaner and simpler. I just need to buy a shitload more tubing now.....

·
GURU
8,827 Posts
The only engine out of those i see that had a cradle to start with kept it.

http://www.customfighters.com/forums/album.php?albumid=43&pictureid=185

The red vtwin he is riding is a frame similar to the early buells. There are a few in there that could go either way but you will notice the large OD tubing and the brace in front of the engine on all the designs. Also they are engineers:)

The main issue is trying to stick two different frames together. If you were starting from scratch and had a rigid frame design you may be able to get away with it. Also those bikes that Matt built were mostly inline 4 cyl bikes and we are talking about a large bore single. The amount of case is a lot different. I can tell you from looking at a picture of the dr650 engine that i personally wouldnt risk it. But i dont have to ride it.

Stunt, nothing wrong with gradual bends, except they arent easy to fabricate unless you have a roll bender setup. A bent tube will be stronger in certain respects but weaker in others(especially if you are heating it up).

Attachments

·
Fucking Newb...Oh wait
7,631 Posts
Yeah, I've learned my lesson about designing ugly frames. You even say the word custom frame, and shift pops up instantly to break your heart:D

·
fighter transplant in NC
14,319 Posts
Yeah, I've learned my lesson about designing ugly frames. You even say the word custom frame, and shift pops up instantly to break your heart:D
He's been nothing but helpful for my build

·
Fucking Newb...Oh wait
7,631 Posts
Mine too. He's a huge dose of reality. Thats why I used the sarcasm smilie.:D

·
fighter transplant in NC
14,319 Posts
You shpuld just forget the custom frame and buy the hawk gt frame I have sittin in the garage. It would mate up quite nicely :D

·
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
You shpuld just forget the custom frame and buy the hawk gt frame I have sittin in the garage. It would mate up quite nicely :D
I have enough problems.:D

Don't feel like you guys are crushing my dreams or breaking my balls or whatever. I posted up asking for opinions and I thank everybody that has provided feedback. Having someone question your ideas makes you rethink them yourself and that is what I needed.

I think I am on the right path with this now and I am really digging the Seelyesque lines of it.

Thanks again to everyone that piped up.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts