Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
always a work in progress
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
See those Tabs on the neck of the frame?

They hold on the fairing stay on an OEM 954. Anyways, for the new triples I'm using plus the fact that I want the headlight as close as possible to the frame - I want to grind them off.

Now, here's the problem. They're hollow on the side closest to the frame. So there would be two small holes in the neck once I ground them off smooth.

My question is, I can't leave them open, because water and dirt would get into the neck, thus onto the bearings. If I had the holes filled in, would it weaken the neck of the frame? Could I fill it in using O/A somehow? Would that be sufficient? Or do I need to have it heat treated and aluminum welded by a pro (I don't have a TIG)?

·
I bang metal
2,779 Posts
o/a would be less heat than fusion welding but im not sure how you would make that work.

·
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Are u sure it's hollow? I thought I seent some one cut it off and shave it down.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
I know for sure that the top one is hollow. I took a "pokey thing" (industry term) and could feel it on the other side when I stuck my finger on the inside of the neck.

I just moved, and of course we lost the camera cords, so I would use more current pictures that could show it better, but for now, those pics are the best I can do.

As far as the bottom one, from the inside of the neck, my pinkie bottoms out, but you can tell that the "hole" or "cavity" still goes further out towards the tab, so I'm assuming that if I did shave it down, there would still be some sort of hole there afterwards. But it is different from the top tab (weird). I couldn't take a pokey thing to it like I did the top.

My thinking is that Honda assumed there would be a bolt going through the top one which would keep all of the elements out...

I don't see how grinding those down would weaken (I guess it could because of the added "hole" maybe), but I'd really be worried about the weather getting into the stem bearings. Is there anyway to easily patch it that wouldn't weaken it? I assume welding without heat treating it would weaken it, right?

·
lɐʇuǝɯᴉɹǝdx&#4
3,516 Posts
If you smooth those down, why not just run some tape across the back side (inside the head tube, after pulling the tree) and fill it in with JB weld, then sand it flush? Front of a headtube is a low stress area, and I really doubt the tab is designed to provide re-enforcing strength for the hole it covers, so a cosmetic / weather proof patch seems fine.

Hell, you could fill the holes BEFORE smoothing the tabs down and do it all in one step.

·
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you smooth those down, why not just run some tape across the back side (inside the head tube, after pulling the tree) and fill it in with JB weld, then sand it flush? Front of a headtube is a low stress area, and I really doubt the tab is designed to provide re-enforcing strength for the hole it covers, so a cosmetic / weather proof patch seems fine.

Hell, you could fill the holes BEFORE smoothing the tabs down and do it all in one step.
Agreed. JB Weld and rock on.

Sent from my SCH-R720 using Motorcycle.com Free App

Thanks, that's exactly the info I was looking for. I didn't know if it was a high stress area or not. Thanks again.

·
moron with a hammer
119 Posts
What they said. It's not a high stress area at all. JB Weld. Quik Steel. Marine epoxy. Pick your poison. You'd lose a lot more strength welding and not heat treating.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts