Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
All star !!!
6,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Frame sliders..cpuple questions...NOW UPDATED 8/12/07

I am gonna try my hand at making some frame sliders. I am gonna make them just for my two bikes..the SV and the gsxr, but if people like them, I will make them available through DZC.

I know, I know...there are a million and one people making sliders out there.....but its an easy product to make...I think...LOL....and I am gonna try to add in some function that no one out there has. The gears are turning in the old noggin.

I have also been doing a lot of research...there are literally over 600 patents in the US, just for frame sliders..and every kind is out there and has been done before. I know other guys make them or companies always claim their product is revolutionary...blah blah blah..big picture, someone has already done it....mushroom style, one bolt through the motor on vtwins, two part ones with aluminum base...all been done decades ago.

So, I am not gonna re invent the wheel here..I am hopefully just gonna reproduce it, with equal or better quality, and at a cheaper price. I think is the new DZC mission statement. :D

So, for anyone who has slider either laying around, or on their bike, or fresh in their memory.....how many of them have metal bushings..either aluminum, steel, bronze, etc....and what are their dimensions in relation to the slider itself and the bolt? In other words. When the nut or bolt is tightening down the slider in place..., does the bushing come flush with the inside of the slider, or is there still some slider material where the bushing stops. Hard to explain....maybe my paint pic will help. Are they more like A or B, or some other way?

Thanks for the help....as usual. Also, at some point, I will need some doner bikes to make them up for..to get measurements and what not....so those who help ouut will get them for cost.

Pic attached.

Attachments

·
GURU
4,412 Posts
Make me up a set for my Strom! I guess they would be the same as your SV huh?

·
All star !!!
6,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Make me up a set for my Strom! I guess they would be the same as your SV huh?
Duh...yeah...LOL...I am on it...since I am making them for my bike, your's will be a duplicate copy..I'll make two. sets. :party-smiley:

·
GURU
4,412 Posts
Sweet! If they come out good maybe you could tap into the adventure touring market.

·
All star !!!
6,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Maybe.....right now, I make almost everything one at a time. , or like the tank quick release kits....I'll come in on a weekend and bang out 10-20 kits at a time...but with all that is involved, that takes hours as it is.

I am keeping my exposure limited right now, until I am at point where I can afford to have a ton of inventory on hand...and be ready for orders as they come in.

·
GURU
4,412 Posts
I'll be the first to order then. I'll be a "test" customer.

·
Registered
854 Posts
going up against Motosliders huh ;) might be a tough sell amongst the SVR crowd.

Not saying you shouldn't do it, but you and I both know that over there its the gospel according to Nate when it comes to sliders.

·
GURU
4,412 Posts
Your frame is the same as the SV1K, or just the power plant?
I'm pretty sure the frame is the same also. At least just looking at them makes me think they are. But I don't have specs to back that up.

·
All star !!!
6,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
going up against Motosliders huh ;) might be a tough sell amongst the SVR crowd.

Not saying you shouldn't do it, but you and I both know that over there its the gospel according to Nate when it comes to sliders.
Yeah, I do know that HH...but I have been around motorcycles, motorcycle boards and manufacturing long enough to know, what the majority of people THINK doesn't usually mean jack shit.

I am actually not gonna actively pursue any business over there for sliders...since they are so delusional about Nate's stuff. Honestly, its good stuff...but he did not invent the wheel. Ducs have been using single bolt through the engine for atleast 30 years, from the patents show...maybe longer. He has only been making his for a couple years now.

I am gonna make my stuff, advertise where I feel valuable to the business and its goals, use my own bikes to display my items, and let the products and prices do the talking.

I am actually surprised that no one has started copying any of my stuff by the way....but I priced everything where greedy business people would not wanna compete. :rock:

·
Registered
854 Posts
I dig what you're doing with your designs and business model (btw you will be getting an order for a few things this fall or winter from me)

You're smart to focus your marketing elsewhere. Honestly, the blind following and lack of imagination on much of SVR bugs me. I do think that your sliders could stand a chance there if they are cheaper than Nate's and people feel they'd get equal protection.

·
All star !!!
6,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I dig what you're doing with your designs and business model (btw you will be getting an order for a few things this fall or winter from me)

You're smart to focus your marketing elsewhere. Honestly, the blind following and lack of imagination on much of SVR bugs me. I do think that your sliders could stand a chance there if they are cheaper than Nate's and people feel they'd get equal protection.
I appreciate that. I am sure mine will be the same protection value...just from speaking to him at the Sv rally and seeing his product first hand....I already found where to get everything, and already know if I wanted to, I could sell right now for 25% less...easy...but that is not at all the way I wanna do business.

Honestly, its hard to try and be ethical and still make money...but I'll always take ethics above income. :knucks:

·
Function IS Form
19 Z900, 88 Kat11
17,434 Posts
Important is to have some kind of energy-spreading device. You don't want the force of an impact on the slider to be entirely in the bolt, I've seen some of the more poorly designed sliders rip engine mounts when the bike is dropped.

·
All star !!!
6,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Important is to have some kind of energy-spreading device. You don't want the force of an impact on the slider to be entirely in the bolt, I've seen some of the more poorly designed sliders rip engine mounts when the bike is dropped.
yeah, from my research, I have a good handle on which material to use for the slider itself. The base design is where I am gonna play around with before I make any final versions. :rock:

·
(cheers smiley goes here)
4,286 Posts
I've got a couple of sets i can measure and take pics of for ya in a day or 2. I should get some garage time by then. I think they come from LP.:)

·
All star !!!
6,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I've got a couple of sets i can measure and take pics of for ya in a day or 2. I should get some garage time by then. I think they come from LP.:)
That would be awesome. Your assistance will be remembered..and eventually rewarded. :rock:

·
Registered
854 Posts
I appreciate that. I am sure mine will be the same protection value...just from speaking to him at the Sv rally and seeing his product first hand....I already found where to get everything, and already know if I wanted to, I could sell right now for 25% less...easy...but that is not at all the way I wanna do business.

Honestly, its hard to try and be ethical and still make money...but I'll always take ethics above income. :knucks:
Its true. Honesty and ethics doesn't bring in much cash. Its refreshing to hear a business owner say ethics takes precident over income. So good on you for that.

Do you need measurements of Nate's sliders? If so I can measure mine for you.

·
Function IS Form
19 Z900, 88 Kat11
17,434 Posts
I haven't yet encountered any ethical questions in my business, but then again I'm not in it for greed so I probably don't have to pose any.

·
All star !!!
6,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I haven't yet encountered any ethical questions in my business, but then again I'm not in it for greed so I probably don't have to pose any.
What's you business bro?

·
Function IS Form
19 Z900, 88 Kat11
17,434 Posts
I repair bikes for local riders and do race conversions for privateers, usually Ohio transplants.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts