Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Soooooooo, my friend had offered me this bike for 60 bucks a couple months ago and I never took him up on it. It had been sitting in his little enclosed apartment backyard for 4 years in Washington (shitton of rain). He moved out of the apartment and i asked him what he was doing the the bike and he said "you can have that shit for free", so I got my good 'ol trailer and brought her home.

Right now she is missing a couple fairings, but I do not care because i'm going for a streetfighter. She has no battery, needs a carb boot, and I got ignition keys made, but do have the seat lock keys so I just need to find a way to get it off(guess there different:angry:), should be done by tomorrow though so not a huge deal. My first bike project but my Dad is giving me advice and he knows a pretty good amount about bikes.

Hopefully tomorrow I will find a way to turn it over with no battery, anyone know how to turn it over with no battery who could give some tips?

Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Car Motor vehicle

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
A battery for 500 isn't that big so its probably pretty cheap just go buy one

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wish I could find some for free! I would check the oil in her before you fire it up. Probably be a good idea to throw some fresh oil in it just to be safe.
Thanks for reminding me! Tearing her down right now and will post some pics soon

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Stick it in second gear and give it a push that will turn the engine over so you know if it ceased or not and goodluck with the build.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Stick it in second gear and give it a push that will turn the engine over so you know if it ceased or not and goodluck with the build.
Thanks for the advice

An update: There has been a couple breaks in rain around here so I have been working on her as much as possible. Right now she is totally stripped of all the fairings, gas tank, and seat. Noticed she is missing her spark plugs and that the spark plug holes seem to have a bit of water in the. I checked the oil with my honda's dipstick and it is not milky or anything so I think the engine is fine, i will just need to get into/ inspect that area closer and clean it up.

So still working to get her running, got kind of low budget so i'm just throwing in whatever extra money I have into this, but have plenty of tools and other things so I know it will be running in at least 2 weeks.

·
The Hell You Say!!
2,956 Posts
I would still change the oil before starting it up. If the engine needs work that will be less $$$ to go in the rest of the bike so I would get that sorted first. Although with the price tag of free you are already off to a great start for a budget build

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah if the plugs where out and it was in the rain there is a good chance it has water in the oil. If you flush the oil before tuning it over you might avoid mixing it and getting that nice chocolate milk.
I would still change the oil before starting it up. If the engine needs work that will be less $$$ to go in the rest of the bike so I would get that sorted first. Although with the price tag of free you are already off to a great start for a budget build
Already had plans to change all the fluids before riding/starting it

Update: my friend who has alot of experience with street bikes told me to not turn it over before getting the water out, so i'll do that as soon as it stops raining an then it's time to turn her over:rock:

Have all the parts I know I need in my shopping cart on ebay, so those should be in my possession in about a week

·
Onefut
15 Posts
The GPZ600r tank fits on the 500s real easy, mounts straight up at the front and just need to make a bracket for the back, Its bigger than the std 500s tank, looks good too
Also GPZ600r Yokes fit and are ally as opposed to std steel ones, same with the swinging arm.

Theres a few bits that fit from the GPZ600r

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If you need any EX500 parts lmk. (almost) All first gen and second parts are interchangable by years.
you have any carb parts? I need the rubber boots that go on the top of the carb

The GPZ600r tank fits on the 500s real easy, mounts straight up at the front and just need to make a bracket for the back, Its bigger than the std 500s tank, looks good too
Also GPZ600r Yokes fit and are ally as opposed to std steel ones, same with the swinging arm.

Theres a few bits that fit from the GPZ600r
Great, now you have me looking for a gpz600r tank haha

Update: Right now shes just staying out of the weather, solved the water issue (I hope!)
last thing I need to do is replace the missing carb parts and rebuild the carb till she will be running

·
Onefut
15 Posts
Standard tank with R1 raceseat

600r tank and front seat and alloy swinging arm. Swinger pretty much just bolted straight in and matted up fine wi 500s wheel

The 600r seat didn't follow the lines of the R1 seat unit so i removed the cover and put cuts in the sponge then I was going to fibreglass over the seat base and infill the seat sponge to make it follow the lines

I was going to weld in fill panels to hide the tank bottom

I altered the mounting tab on the tank and adapted a tank mount bracket from a 2000 500s as i had a spare damaged frame to play about with and steal stuff from

Hope it helps

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Did alot of work the past weekend! Took apart the whole bike, only thing left to come off is the engine, which I will be rebuilding because I want to make sure it WILL run when I have everything put back together. Got my friend to help out with bike, and have every tool I could possibly need b/c it is at my parents house and my dad has a garage he has put together over 20 some years. Any rebuilding tips/warnings? I heard from some pretty experienced members on the EX500 forums and they said I can reuse the gaskets if i'm careful. Also included a mockup pic!

Attachments

1 - 20 of 23 Posts