Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, all. It's been about a year since I picked up this project bike and figured I should share some pictures and some of the experiences I've had along the way. I got a lot of ideas and some answers to questions browsing this forum so I might as well contribute my project build! Hope y'all enjoy!

The bike is a 1985 Yamaha FZ750N. A buddy got it in a deal with a few other bikes and parts and was going to scrap it since he couldn't get it to fire. I told him I'd take it off his hands and next thing I knew, he had it on a trailer and we were taking it a storage unit in town.

Here's what the bike looked like on Day 1 after putting new plugs in and testing to see if she'd start up. After the engine fired, the tear down ensued.

The various bits and pieces that went along with the bike.

As you can see, it was already rather disassembled. I decided early on to rework the frame and thus myself and a buddy went on to pull the whole bike apart.

Said buddy removing a few more parts.

Once it was torn down, the sub frame was cut an re-welded and was powder coated along with the exhaust.

The exhaust, a Vance & Hines 4-1 that came with the bike.

The frame with forks and swingarm re-assembled.

The next time we went out, the engine got put back in. Thanks to a stubborn frame bolt, that was a long night.

After a few weeks of work and a lot of putting things off, the bike got the lights, tank refinished and primed, gauges, new tires, etc.

That is where the build sits right now. This weekend should bring the tank painted and a few electrical bugs worked out. I know I've left a lot out and if I can dig up the various pictures I'll be sure to post them. I'll also update this thread as I do more.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So, a somewhat successful weekend. Got a little bit of paint on the tank, finally. Now she's starting to look like a more finished project.

Also got a bit farther on the electrical issues. Have to trace out a few wires to get my turn signals and brake light to work. Hopefully getting the much needed rear shock once taxes are filed and then she should be ready for the season!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This weekend brought a little more paint and some work on the wiring. Sadly the bike's progress was hindered by a stuck thermostat in my Jeep but at least a little bit got done!

The underside of the tank got a coat of gloss black, mainly for rust prevention but it is a nice touch.

Also pulled the wiring harness to work on isolating the issues I've been having. The run-hot circuit that runs through the SIGNAL fuse keeps shorting out. I started stripping the looming and tape from the harness. I will probably replace the circuit and add a few other circuits on to the harness from some accessories down the line.

\

Also, I suggest getting factory wiring diagrams for anything if you can fins them! The diagram in my Clymers book was different on several wire colors and fuse sizes compared to how the harness is actually set up.

Hopefully the next weekend will bring some more progress....as long as the Superbowl doesn't get in the way too much!

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Looks like you've done some work so far looking good you should flip your clipons it'll give you a much better ridding position

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Those are factory clipons, actually. They bolt down on top of the triple tree. Planning on replacing them once I get everything running right.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
After a few busy weekends caused by a temperamental Jeep, the Marines and mother nature, I'll finally have a chance to get some more work done! Yesterday, in a nice box from the UK, my new rear shock came.

It took me about 3 months of digging around the web to find a shock for my older bike that was less than the near $900 most places were asking for an OEM setup. Through the wonders of ebay, I found a Hyperpro setup.

Here's the box it comes in.

And the shock itself.

Hopefully it will be in the bike this weekend. Also planning on finishing up some other odds and ends (wiring, paint, brake bleeding) and getting close to having her ready for the road!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So I spent the day attempting to replace the rear shock. The removal of the original wasn't too hard.

Got the bike up on a jack stand.

Then removed the proper bolts and got the old shock out.

Comparison of the two,

When I went to install the new shock, I ran into an issue. The top of the shock had too large a diameter and does not fit into the space in the frame. There is about 1/32"-1/16" too much on the shock. I emailed both the supplier I got the shock from and Hyperpro. Hopefully I'll hear back from them soon as riding season is fast approaching and a shock for the rear!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well the weekend wasn't a total waste. Finally figured out my electrical issue was due to a cheap ebay digital gauge cluster. Now the turn signals and brake lights are functioning! As I'm planning on switching the original gauges back it, I just unplugged the thing for now. Also got the wiring harness re-loomed/taped.

Hoping that this week will see a solution to the rear shock issue so I can have most of the bike finished up for the season!

·
Hack in a barn
4,409 Posts
Looks like you have a pretty wide bushing up top. Would you be able to remove enough material yourself to make it fit? A little flap wheel action on a 4.5" grinder maybe?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's possible, though I'd have to measure the frame slot. I could probably get the bushing mount down enough for a good fit if that's what it comes down to. I'm hoping to hear back from the companies involved before I end up grinding a $650 shock up.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Finally talked to Hyperpro and their only solution is to return the shock and get reimbursed. I did find another shock that will fit the bike, a Hagon shock. Hopefully this one will actually fit in the frame. I did consider getting a fitting CNC'd for the Hyperpro shock, but the time and cost isn't worth it with other shocks available.

·
Premium Member
2,225 Posts
Hagon is cheap crap. Their shocks are steel bodied, they are heavy, they run on plain bushings and are in general just a bit crap. On the one which was fitted to my CB-1 the spring was too soft and all the useful damping adjustment was within less than half a turn on the non-clicking single adjuster screw.

In comparison, Nitron will make you a Street shock for hardly any more money, and it is a beautiful piece of CNC-worked aluminium, with rose joint ends. If you go one up for the sport shock it will have adjustable height. They may not advertise it for a bike like your which is now pretty rare, but drop them a line and you will be impressed by their service and their quality, I am sure. They will also fit a spring to suit you, whereas as Hagon charge extra to fit a non-specified spring eg. in case you're a big lad or carry luggage or a passenger frequently.

Here's the one I put on my old 900RR, next to the stocker. Beautiful, especially in comparison to the very basic look and feel of a hagon shock.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Unfortunately Intron doesnt make the shock for my bike anymore. They were my first choice, but the two suppliers I contacted told me they couldn't get the shocks from Nitron since they've been "discontinued" That was the reason for the Hyperpro purchase in the first case....especially as an OEM rear costs $850+.

·
Premium Member
2,225 Posts
Discontinued makes no sense since they build each shock to order. I'd suggest the retailer didn't want your business. Don't bother with third party suppliers, go direct to http://www.nitron.co.uk/contact

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So after an incredibly long wait, the Hagon shock finally came in yesterday. This time the install went in smoothly.

Here's the obligatory comparison of old vs new

Putting it in the bike

And here are some shots of the mostly finished product.

After putting it back together, it fired up with some fresh gas to flush the tank and a little shot of ether. Ran smoothly in the garage however I ran out of sunlight to road test.

The shock still needs adjusted, stiffened up some. I also need to get a mounting system for the speedometer and tachometer. I'm working with a friend to get a nice cluster and wind screen 3D printed soon, but I want a temporary fix to ride it til then.

Hope to have the bike on the road this weekend, I'll make sure to get a video or two up on youtube and throw the links on here!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
This weekend marks a massive mile stone for the bike, I finally have her on the road! I got the gauges installed as well as bleeding the brakes and adjusting the shock.

The gauge install. (Thank god for hose clamps!)

The bike finally ready to ride!

Going for a ride today so I should have some video of the bike running tonight!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So a quick update from today. After messing with the carbs and choke some, I think that the carbs are just gunked up from the bike sitting before I got it. Hoping a couple tanks of gas with some cleaner will help open her up, if not I'll be buying another set of carbs to build so I have zero down time.

Also got a new set of horns in for the bike, some Hella knock offs that are both obscenely loud visually and vocally.

Finally, the tachometer needle decided to snap off under some rapid acceleration. Picked up a 1988 one off ebay that should be here this week, pictures to follow removal and install.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The tachometer got replaced yesterday. Pretty easy job.

This is why it needed replaced...

Simple enough to swap out, just pull the bulb out, undo three screws and loosen the mount.

The new one, looks much better.

I still have to get the idle right, seems like the carbs may be out of sync. Anyone have any thoughts on what would cause it to sit at about 1000 RPM for a few seconds and then just die off, even at temp??

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So I finally threw in the towel and took the bike to a shop yesterday to getting carbs fine tuned since I was having no luck with them. Also getting fork seals and a basic tune up as it's already there and it saves me time.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts