Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how's it going? I got a lot of inspiration for working on my bike from this site so I figured why not join in.

a little about myself: started riding on a 1983 (I think) honda shadow 750, was a scrap bike that randomly started "working". My dad picked it up for $500 so him, my brother and I could ride together.

Got my permit, and started doing small runs up and down the road by my house with my brother in the car following me. Eventually I started riding down into town, and then eventually rode to work.

Realized I needed my license, so I took the MSF course offered in my area. This was about 2 years ago. As I was taking the course, I saved up my money and bought myself a 2006 ninja 650.

Cause of classes and doing a summer program, I had to sell it for money. I absolutely regret it. I loved the shit out of that bike, absolutely nothing wrong with it.

Anyways, still had the itch to ride so this past fall I picked up a 89' EX500 for $900 bucks.

I always loved the streetfighter look, but never really acted upon it. That's until I got into a minor accident, resulting in my already kind of busted up bike looking even more busted.

So, now I'm here. Good thing my dad's a mechanic or else I'd have to shell out a lot more money and have a completely different bike. Me and him are currently working together to build it back up.

At the moment, the motor is completely taken apart, and I received the gaskets for the engine in the mail today. I'd post photos, but all I have are photos from before the crash.
regarding modifications:
- I painted a part of the frame, repainted some of the fairings I am going to put on
- bought replacement turn signals, going to chop the tail fender and put really minimal turn signals on the back.
- bought a standard round headlight off amazon, along with minila style turn signals for the front along with a bracket.

what I plan on doing:
- coolant reservoir mod: I saw people substitute the coolant overflow or wherever you fill the coolant with a bottle, flask, etc. I want to do something so it doesn't stand out so much on my bike.
- electronics cluster: I'm thinking about getting a one speedometer and just using that. trying to be as cheap as possible.
- belly pan fairing: I like the look of having no front fairing but still having a belly pan. I've been watching a few on ebay, so once my bike is actually running and ready to go I'll look into it.

I have thought about chopping the exhaust :CK187: , but I'm on the fence about it.

Anyways, when the time comes I guess I'll make a post about it, but I figured I'd give my introduction.

Thanks,
jjp

·
|||||||||||||||||||||||||
30,520 Posts
Welcome to the only forum worth signing up to jjp. You made the right decision the first time.

Now quit lurking and start posting. We need pictures of everything. Don't be shy.

Be sure to learn from your pops as he's helping you! Ask him about turboing the motor while it's out :D

Anyways, when the time comes I guess I'll make a post about it

The time is NOW

:skully:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Now quit lurking and start posting. We need pictures of everything. Don't be shy.

The time is NOW

:skully:
Just tried to upload a few photos but for some reason it's not going through? something about a security problem?

oh well, I'll try again soon. I'll try to update as soon as we start making more progress, because the engine is literally all spread out ready to be put back together haha

·
Premium Member
50,500 Posts
welcome in mate ,never give up ;) them pics will get here eventualy.

·
Fuck it, let's do it live
4,007 Posts
Welcome in. This forum really is a great community.
Let's see those pics! The easiest way I've found is to use an image hosting site and insert pics with the function.
Wherabouts are you located?

·
CAPTAIN AWESOME®
30,397 Posts
Welcome aboard man

Props and rep for use of a CK187 emoticon in your first post

If you already followed the directions for uploading pics from the sticky, you can pm me and I'll host them for you

·
Premium Member
5,698 Posts
- coolant reservoir mod: I saw people substitute the coolant overflow or wherever you fill the coolant with a bottle, flask, etc. I want to do something so it doesn't stand out so much on my bike.

Ey, if you can't tuck it away, hide it in plain sight :D

Welcome to the forum, now let's see them pix! Most of the bikes here are in pieces anyway so you'll fit in nicely! That's a real cool project for your pops and you to work on, already waiting for my own boys to grow up enough to be able to turn the spanners!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone.

figured I'd kick this off with some "before" pictures. These pictures were taken right before I took it for a spin and found an obnoxious engine knock:

You're prolly wondering: why the fuck is there random vinyl wrap marks on the fairings?

I was too impatient to paint them. I tried plasti dip which failed, and I did all this just to cover up stripes on the sides... Now I have too much time, so I have painted them and did it (semi) correctly.

I'll have to take more recent pictures regarding what I did for the front end.

Thanks for keeping interest, I'll try to keep everyone posted.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey guys, thought I'd let you in on some of the engine tear down process that's been going on that I've previously mentioned.

Here's my baby now:

[/URL]

And I thought some of you (actually, most of you) would get a great laugh from this photo:

[/URL]

.. yes, that's a bungie cord I bought from walmart holding my electronics cluster :rock:

like I said, I'm interested in going strictly speedo, but at the moment I'm more concerned about getting the engine back in and ready to go.

also thinking about raising the headlight, it's a little low I think.

:dance3: I'll keep you guys posted !

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ck187 - Thanks for posting links for references/inspiration

I ordered a speedo last night off amazon. I read somewhere that with EX500's, installing an electronic speedo with the magnet is a huge pain in the ass, so I just opted to get a speedo that reads km/h, is analog and has a neutral indicating light haha.

As long as I have a rough estimate of my speed, it's better than nothing?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Alright guys, did some work on the bike today and figured I'd share here because.. why not?

First, here are some pictures of the mess my dad and I are dealing with:

I was cleaning the old gasket/sealant stuff off with a razor:

I did a little cosmetic stuff too, decided to move the headlight up in preparation for the new speedometer. Just gotta do something about that coolant container :help0: :

Also, took out all the clutter underneath the tail. I bought real minimal style turn signals that will replace the big bulky ones alot of the older bikes had. really happy with how it's turning out.. can't wait for the engine to be done!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts