Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok. Bought this bad boy yesterday, Went for a ride. 20 minutes later bike just stops. Battery completely dead. Towed it home. Put battery on charger for the night. Tore into it this morning.

Cold sitting: 12.8V
STarting:10V
Running: 12.8V
high beam + 5K rpm: 13.1V

So something is fucked. First thought was the rectifier. Pulled it off bike. Did forward voltage test on all 6 diodes. All are good. Put RR back. Pulled the Stator plug (3 wires) Got about 25VAC on all 3 connections at idle and 80VAC at 5K. Seems to be good.

However everything fell apart on the last test. All 3 of the stator wires are linked to ground. I don't understand how this can be happening? Do I need to replace the stator? Is it a wire issue?

I finally have another bike but I cant ride it and it makes me sad. WTF is going on?

·
Premium Member
2,225 Posts
Strange one. Sometimes one winding on the generator will burn out and you get the right DC volts but the amps aren't there. But since all three wires are giving good AC I don't know what's going on there.

Are you sure 13.1v isn't right for this model? It sounds a bit low maybe, but perhaps it's ok?

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
According to the manual it is supposed to be closer to 14.5V as is pretty common. I have been browsing SV forums and the news is generally not very good. apparently the magnets on the rotor come loose and cause the issue. Also stator may be gone. Going to pull the cover off and see.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So after sitting around on the internet for a while and not getting any real answers I just decided to dig into it. I have built a list of nice track cars, so I figured how hard can it be. Wasnt too bad. Stator is definitly toast. The only thing I am kinda irky about is the magnets. They are all still glued in just fine, except there seem to be a few small blank spots... can you guys look at the pics and tell me if I can just replace the stator?

so here are the pictures for the next poor soul that comes along with the same questions:

Cover bolts arranged in pattern.

Remove the 2 bolts on slave cylinder, pull it out, and zip tie it out of the way. Pull off the cover.

The fuck?

Whole assembly.

of the bike

insides.

Stator up close.

I am going to buy a stock stator, my business is going to go to the place that can ship it fastest. Hardest part was getting the wires out, thats gonna be a bitch to get back in. All three screws for stator were loose. Gonna buy a lot of locktite, a new gasket (or if I cant get one soon will reuse the old one with RTV).

·
MECHANIC
114 Posts
a delta wound stator should have no connection to ground. when i went to motorcycle school a few years back they told us some typical specs that apply to all three phase charging systems

stator resistance roughly 3-5 ohms all legs
stator resistance to ground -open link or ofl

regulator rectifier diodes between .300-.500vdc forward and open link/ofl reverse

battery charging voltage
key off 12-13.5 vdc
key on 11-12.5 vdc
starting no lower than 10vdc (most efi/electronic ignition may not operate below 10vdc)
idle about 13.5vdc
and peak charging between 13-15vdc

i have amperage specs somewhere also but unless you have the proper tool it doesnt help

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Everything you stated above is completely true. Basically quoting the Suzuki manual.

Maksim

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So an update. I am going to use JBweld to make sure the magnets enver move anywhere again, and I have a new stator being shipped to me. Went to DMV today only to find I have to get bonded title as the previous owner gave me a out of state/out of date title (last owner never registered)....

Ya. I dont think i will be keeping this one long.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok update. Stator is being delivered today. JB weld has set. I basically tried to seal up everything to make sure magnets never move again.

and then sanded down for tolerance.

the inside surface of all the magnets is smooth and clean. when I get home the stator should be there. Gonna try to reinstall it all tonight, and see it start charging.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
New stator came in today. Here is the rest of the install pics. A few notes:

1. The gasket is compressed metal - this means it is (a) magnetic, and (b) sharp.
2. LocTite LocTite LocTite

Here is the comparison shot. The stator from Electrosport vs the OEM unit.

These are your friends, use them.

NOTE: LocTite requires a drop or two. As far as RTV goes, you know you did a good job, when you get a very small bead comeing out from between the two pieces of metal.

Cleaned up. Please note the location of all the dowels and washers. This is for visualization only. I found it much easier to put all that shit on the motor and then just slide the cover on.

Stator being put in. Please note the orientation and location of the wires. It is important. Make sure you USE LOCTITE!!!!!!!

Very small bead of RTV on each side of the gasket. Put this small bead on, put gasket on motor. Put another small bead on the case before putting it on.

At this point just slide the case on. Put in the two plugs (main center and top front). Bolt everything down tight. I am sure there is a torque spec somewhere, but I didnt have it handy. Just get it all wrench tight, then give it a half turn more - should be good. I rode for half an hour and all was well.

I am happy to say that I have a good charging system. The bike runs great. Let me be clear about this.... THERE ARE NO NEW VIBRATIONS. Bike runs the same as I bought it, and seems to be equal to my buddys SV650.

I did notice a few things though I need some advice on. The bike has a KN open top filter, full yoshi exhaust and PC3.

I noticed the bike pulls really hard and the noise at full throttle is just intoxicating. However at exactly 5K and 7K there is a tiny shudder - like it misfires. I have no clue what is loaded on the PC3. However the website indicates that there is in fact a tune for exactly my mods. Should I just load that.I am not really sure how to do it - but I am sure there are instruction online.

Thoughts?

·
Pic addict
2,001 Posts
Make a backup of the map that's on there, then if the new map doesn't work out, you can reload it. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Make a backup of the map that's on there, then if the new map doesn't work out, you can reload it. :thumbsup:
Lol. thats a really good point. I need to go do some reading on the PC3 website.

·
Pic addict
2,001 Posts
Pretty sure I read that it gives you a backup option by default whenever you go to make changes.
Download and install the software anyway and get a feel for it that way. :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts