Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So its kinda a long story, but please help me figure this out!

Got this bike bout a month and half ago, its a 97 M750, just under 6000 miles when i picked it up, meticulously maintained, mint condition, etc, etc. Been riding it almost everyday, i've put over 900 miles on it including a 4 hr each way trip back home to ohio. I got back from that trip and brought the bike into the shop for 6k service.

Got it back 3 weeks later and the moment i jumped on the bike, i noticed the clutch lever was a little stiffer. Now, as far as i know, there is no adjustment on a hydraulic clutch, since the only thing you can change is fluid, but it didnt really cross my mind at first because all of my other bikes have been cable clutches.

Today as i'm on the freeway riding to school i go around someone and notice that i punch it and the clutch is slippin a little. Riding home from school its slipping worse and worse. Its rush hour now, so i'm shifting more and its stop and go. Above the slipping, the clutch lever is getting a lot harder to pull. It keeps getting worse and worse, but i have no other way home so i have to keep riding - trying as hard as i can to go as slow and gentle on the throttle as possible. After about 25 minutes of riding, its gotten to the point where anything over 1/4 throttle my engine just revs freely like its in neutral (no matter what gear i'm in). Also, when i'm letting the clutch lever out at every stop, there is NO engaging until the very last 1/8" of travel and whenl i let it out completely, then it sort of slowly rolls forward.

I called the shop as soon as i got home, and i'm bringing the bike back in, but before i could even explaing what happened, i mentioned the clutch lever being stiffer, and immedieatly the guy started trying to tell me there was an air bubble before i brought it in.

I've put over 900 miles on it in the last month before i brough it in, been riding it pretty much everyday, and just before i brought it in i road 8 hours without a single problem. I take it in 2 days after that, its in the shop for three weeks, and within 2 hrs worth of riding since i get it back this all happened. So it had to be something that changed between the time i dropped it off and picked it up.

So how could something like this happen? I mean, i have no idea what would cause this. I know the basics of a hydraulic clutch are the same in a car and a bike, master cylinder- hose- slave cylinder - operates clutch. If any of these things blow, then usually you loose pressure and the clutch wont operate, this is like the opposite. And really puzzling part is there is absolutely nothing scheduled to do with the clutch at all on a 6k service.

So what happened? If you guys have any ideas what could cause this that would be great cause i could take that with me when i bring it in this week to get it checked out and could give somewhere to start.

·
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
on top of it, posted there first - 21 views, 0 replies. It was a lot longer post before, edited it down thinking that might have been the problem.

I had originally included the part about the brand new dent in the tank, which was the whole reason i had to ride today was to bring it in to show them the dent (wasnt planning on riding cause it was supposed to rain and i didnt feel like dealing with rushour in the rain, luckily the weather channel has about a 50/50 correctness rate and it didnt) but i figured while the dent in the tank is aggrivating as hell, they seem like they are gonna try to fix that...we'll see how it really plays out soon...and i didnt really need to include that info. But yeah, i'm pretty pissed at this shop right now.

I dont want to say names though till i see how they treat this, cause if they take care of me right, i dont really wanna bash them. I know mistakes happen - i'm just REALLY pissed about this because not only did they damage the tank AND fuck up the clutch, but hydraulic clutch and hydraulic brakes are basically the same system, and if that had been the other side that got messed up, theres a good chance i'd be dead right now considering this really got bad on the freeway.

·
The Soft Serve Enigma
16,719 Posts
Quick question...do you have a dry clutch with an open cover?

·
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
nope its a old carby 750, so its a wet clutch.

it had a full 6k service, so new oil, new timing belts (they were 5 yeas old), valve check, etc. But nothing related to the clutch.

At first when it was only just slipping a little i thought it might be a problem wiht using the wrong oil, since it is a wet clutch.

But it just kept getting worse. The clutch lever being stiffer than a 12yr old looking at pamela anderson doesnt really fit symptoms of simply slipping because of oil either.

why i'm really confused, is my understanding is if the slave cylinder went (at least in cars this is what i've seen) the clutch lever would go mushy and there would be no pressure and the clutch just wouldnt operate.

This is exactly the opposite. The only things i could think, is a pinched line (checked, definately not) a clog or something (sounds pretty unlikely, but never know) or if the slave cylinder or part of the clutch started binding.

Now, i never had a single symptom of anything, never any sign of anything like this happen in a full month riding, or in the 8 hrs of riding i did right before i turned it in... Now i get it back, and within 2 hrs total riding time (25 minutes saturday, bout 1 1/2 today) this all happens. I am 100% sure, something had to have happened at the shop to cause this.

I'm just really baffled as to what that could be

·
is not your fucking bro
7,216 Posts
first i thought the m750 came out in 98, then i have "heard" the clutch baskets suck and get grooves by the plates. so when a clutch plate on top gets wedged in these grooves your pull the lever is just putting pressure on the top plate so you get a stiff clutch lever. then cus the plates arent all engaged it slips.

·
The Soft Serve Enigma
16,719 Posts
That could be it...I'm lost as to what may be causing it to feel stiffer unless something is jammed, but Chandler's idea is worth looking at I think.

·
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i've really never heard that, also are you sure that is wet clutch, or does that pertain to dry clutch ducatis? the only real common clutch related problem i've heard of with them is the stock clutch cylinder has a tendency to blow seals, but from what i've read, that just would reinforce my belief that would cause a sloppy lever and loss of clutch operation.

from an article about good vs bad of ducati superbikes:

6. The stock clutch slave cylinder on early bikes is very likely to blow its seal and dump the hydraulic fluid, leaving you without any clutch control. If you are masochistic, keep a few spare seals to replace them when it happens. If you are smart, buy an Evoluzione double-seal piston or an aftermarket slave cylinder to fix or replace the stocker.

·
is not your fucking bro
7,216 Posts
master cylinders lose pressure when bad giving soft lever. i head it from my buddy larry he has a 750ss i think

·
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well, the other thing is, i dont understand how if there were grooves in the clutch case, this would not have showed up, at least once, in the past 900 miles i've been riding, but the second i hop on the bike after i pick it up, its immedieately present and within a total of 2 hrs riding its evolved form mild slippage to barely being able to get the clutch to engage or move forward.

Thats why i'm pretty much 100% certain something had to have changed at the dearlership.

·
is not your fucking bro
7,216 Posts
if the lever is hard something is jamming or clogged. clogged wont make it slip becuase clutches are engaged normally so if its clogged you lose pressure and wont be able to open them.

·
is not your fucking bro
7,216 Posts
i work at a car dealership. coincidences do happen. someones headlight goes out then all of a sudden we broke thier washer bottle ?

·
890 Posts
I'd be thinking it's some sort of fluid blockage happening (possibly) at the slave cylinder that is keeping the plates from engaging properly? That would explain the stiff lever as well as the slipping.

Don't no shit about Ducatis though....

·
is not your fucking bro
7,216 Posts
how would it slip while riding if the blockage keeps them from engaging ? granted if the blockage is in the hose it could keep the pressure from breathing back up the hose to the master cylinder

·
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
how would it slip while riding if the blockage keeps them from engaging ? granted if the blockage is in the hose it could keep the pressure from breathing back up the hose to the master cylinder
thats basically what i was thinking. thinking it was keeping it from returning to normal...

the fact that they dented my tank (careless), and that they were rediculously overbooked (you should see the number of bikes in the waiting section, and the place was packed with people that were there picking up their bikes) lends me to think they probably were just too oberbooked and are rushing to get things done faster than they should, and things arent getting double checked the way they should.

maybe i'm wrong, but thats certainly how it appears.

and i realize coincidences happen, but its not like this was a got my bike back and a week later something happened. It was rode my bike 8 hrs, dropped it off literally 2 days later without touching it, and then got it back and from the first second i sat on it, i noticed a difference.

There wasnt any time for it happen on its own....even if it happened on the way home half way home, it could have been a coincidence, but this was literally the very first second i got on the bike the clutch was noticeably stiffer - i even said something to my girl when i was riding home (she was driving my truck next to me) and that was way before any of this bullshit today.

I realize coincidences happen, but a lot of places use that to try to screw people when they fuck something up. This place hasnt been so bad so far, and i dont want to bash them yet, but i'm certainly not gonna pay for whats bound to be over $1000 job when it sure as hell seems like its their fault.

·
890 Posts
it had a full 6k service, so new oil, new timing belts (they were 5 yeas old), valve check, etc. But nothing related to the clutch.

Just another thought - is it possible the shop might have had to dismantle any part of the clutch to replace the timing belts??

·
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just another thought - is it possible the shop might have had to dismantle any part of the clutch to replace the timing belts??
naw, its just 2 covers on the side of the cylinder... there is nothing involved in the service that should have to do with the clutch.

the only thing i can think might have happened, is the mechanic may have replaced the fluid which is not due til the 12k service, but because its so old maybe he did. And maybe he replaced it with an incompatible fluid (like dot 3 mixed with dot 5 or something, dunno) and mayb that caused some sort of problem - i dont know, since i've never done that, lol. But tahts the only thing i can really think of.

·
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
yeah probably the best idea...lol. i just been so pissed all day, kinda helps me to keep a cool head by trying to figure it ou...like a giant theoretical puzzle.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts