Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm swapping a zx7 non-radial set of forks onto my GPz. I've got forks and triples but no brakes. I'm looking for zx7 or equivalent (zx6/7/9, busa etc) calipers, decent lines and master.

Considering I'm upgrading from '83 technology and buying on a house funds are low and anything more modern will be a huge improvement over stock.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I have the brake calipers and master from a 97 bandit 1200. No lines or brake lever. Shoot me an offer if you interested cause I dont really know what these would go for.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are these the tokico 6pots? What kind of shape and any pad to speak of? Also I'm stateside, hopefully you are as well?

·
Super Moderator
3,021 Posts
Tusch,

What year are your Zx7 forks from? They changed caliper mounting distance in the mid-90's. They either 65mm (earlier) or 90mm (later).

Later, Doug

Reactions: ROBBO

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am 90% sure they came off a '96 hopefully the difference didn't come between 96-97 because its one of those two years. Haha

So street, are yours the 6 pot tokicos?

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Also, altitude pics would be great. I'm told the nissins are supposed to be a bit of an upgrade for the zx7s but like I said anything will be an upgrade over the 30 year old GPz's

·
Super Moderator
3,021 Posts
I am 90% sure they came off a '96 hopefully the difference didn't come between 96-97 because its one of those two years. Haha

So street, are yours the 6 pot tokicos?

The change came in '96. 89-95 are 65mm and 96-03 were 90mm

The calipers I have are earlier 4 pot 65mm Tokico's.

Later, Doug

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

Reactions: Tusch and ROBBO

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So the lines and lever are not included right? I'll have to think over cost because I don't really have any idea on pricing either haha

·
Super Moderator
3,021 Posts
Tusch,

Are these the front forks you are running?

Later, Doug

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah that's them, am I wrong in my year? I was told it was a '96 but hopefully I wasn't misinformed

·
Super Moderator
3,021 Posts
Yeah that's them, am I wrong in my year? I was told it was a '96 but hopefully I wasn't misinformed
You may want to take a measurement but those look like '91-95 forks. :doh:

Later, Doug

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well damn, I've been going off of that for a lot of my build plans. So the caliper bolts are spread 65mm for the earlier and 90mm for the later generation?

·
Super Moderator
3,021 Posts
So the caliper bolts are spread 65mm for the earlier and 90mm for the later generation?
Correct!

It may or may not matter for the wheel, rotors, or axle but will for the fender and calipers.

You'll need to do more research as I can't remember what all wheels fit what this time around.

Later, Doug

G

·
if its 90mm spacing nissin calipers you need as well as looking for bandit gsxr etc you could also look at the triumph badged nissins this is what i'm using on my 7r p model front end in my project, they are genrally cheaper on ebay etc but are the same caliper you just need to grind the triumph name off

I have some info on brake discs that fit the 7r wheels so if you need it shout up :)

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well the guy lied to me or didn't know himself. Thanks streetfighterkz because I never checked what I was told, live and learn I suppose. So I guess now the question is what's a decent set of 65 mm spread calipers. Do I still with stock 4 pot tokicos from the zx series or is there something recommended?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts