Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Fighter Fanatic
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Idk if this is a stupid question or not but I was wondering why so many people replace the front forks on their bikes when they do a build. Is it because of busted seals or are some forks longer or shorter than others? Maybe just a better ride? Mine has a busted seal on the right side but i had planned on just rebuilding it because it is cheaper.

·
Fighter Fanatic
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Are USD forks the same thing as inverted forks on a dirtbike?

·
Fighter Fanatic
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If I were to move the tripples closer to the top and put the clipons under the top clamp would that cause to much flex in the front suspension? I planned on doing that but i read up on those usd a little and it mentioned flex which i didn't even think about.

·
639 Posts
well it really depends on the forks.
Youve got some decent standard forks with full adjustments
And USD/inverted same thing with full adjustment.

Then you have the lower quality with less adjustment (sv/fz6/monsters etc..)
Forks are ok but lack performance and the ability of fine tuning without some serious rebuilding skills (pvc sliders and drilling fluid holes) which gets into some serious assembly time for the average joe.

Gsxr/cbr and other race replica bikes come with a better level suspension OEM because of some racing rules like WSBK or something where they can only modify from stock so far. SO a minor oil weight change or spring and valve shift maybe needed depending on person and then they have all the adjusmant you need. Depedning on the model youll have weaker or stiffer spring. Then taking riding weight and such into play an OEM fork off a certain bike may come with a .75/.85 spring rate blah blah blah it gets all technically confusing when getting into valving and such.

Of course then you get brakes and rotors, appearence mods and other reasons.
Adjustability is a must in my book for riding. Better to have a firm front end fro traction that a shifty rear end for power del. One cancels the other out if not set correctly.

·
Fighter Fanatic
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sounds like you know your stuff bro. I think in that case i will keep the stock forks for now until I am a little more mechanically savey. No joke though I have learned more about bikes from this forum in two weeks that I have for the last 5 years of motocross.

·
The man WITHOUT a plan
442 Posts
Sounds like you know your stuff bro. I think in that case i will keep the stock forks for now until I am a little more mechanically savey. No joke though I have learned more about bikes from this forum in two weeks that I have for the last 5 years of motocross.
Agreed. I learned enough that I bought VIP to support the forums. I always feel stupid, but that means I'm smart enough to know there's a whole ton of stuff that I can still learn from these guys. Plus if you live near any of the guys on here I'm sure they'd be willing to help you out in person for a case or two of beer as payment.

·
Fighter Fanatic
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Honestly I dont even feel worthy for vip until I finish my first project :rock:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts