Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Respect can't be bought.
4,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now a long time ago I was told that front sprockets had to be put on with an impact gun to ensure they stay on. I was also told to only take them off in the same manor. Can anybody shed some light on this? :wtf:

·
******* Dumbass
5,796 Posts
For what bike? Duc's use a splined shaft with an offset thrust bracket that aligns half a tooth off and runs in a groove turned the circumference of the shaft. It has 2 bolts I believe to be 6mm connecting the front gear to the bracket. This causes the bracket to run the teeth in the groove to keep the sprocket aligned laterally on the shaft, and won't allow it to move. No impact driver needed.

Reactions: up2L8

·
Respect can't be bought.
4,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
05 Kawasaki Z1000

·
theman themyth thelegend
8,497 Posts
Now a long time ago I was told that front sprockets had to be put on with an impact gun to ensure they stay on. I was also told to only take them off in the same manor. Can anybody shed some light on this? :wtf:
i use an impact gun to take them off, and torque wrench to put em on :rock:

·
The Glistening Turd
2,983 Posts
I do my Z's the same way freeze describes, impacy off torque wrench on.

·
Ridin' Dirty
6,773 Posts
Hmm, I thought all bikes were like mikey said, a splined shaft and a circlip of some kind.

·
The Glistening Turd
2,983 Posts
On my Kawi and Yami they are both large nuts on the output shaft that are a mother to break loose.

·
?????????????
5,471 Posts
On my Kawi and Yami they are both large nuts on the output shaft that are a mother to break loose.
Same on the oilcooled suzuki's and some also have a large washer that bolts on the end of the shaft as well, never used a impact wrench on them before just a large socket and bar, bike in gear and rear brake on and plenty of leverage.

I have since invested in a air impact wrench so will be using that in future

·
Hack Addict
425 Posts
If I remember correctly, there is a large washer behind the nut. You will need to flatten this washer before taking a impact to it. I've used my impact to tighten the nut, but only a quick blip. After you tighten the nut, use a chisel to bent the washer back over the flats of the nut. Be careful not to gouge your sprocket.

Another trick: I put my bikes in neutral, apply the rear brake and sometimes the front(second person highly recommended). This keeps the internals from seeiny any of the shock from the impact gun.

·
wtf?
1,188 Posts
If I remember correctly, there is a large washer behind the nut. You will need to flatten this washer before taking a impact to it. I've used my impact to tighten the nut, but only a quick blip. After you tighten the nut, use a chisel to bent the washer back over the flats of the nut. Be careful not to gouge your sprocket.

Another trick: I put my bikes in neutral, apply the rear brake and sometimes the front(second person highly recommended). This keeps the internals from seeiny any of the shock from the impact gun.
You do remember correctly. and it is a sonofabitch to get it loose even with a decent impact.

Also, leave the chain on and hold the rear brake. That way you wont be slamming the tranny gears to hell and back. I forgot what size it is, but I can go down in the garage and take a look if youd like. I know i had to buy an 8 dollar socket for it....

·
Respect can't be bought.
4,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I dont have a wheel on it at the moment let alone a chain.

·
Respect can't be bought.
4,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
then its probably not going to come off. When I was trying to do it on the stands, it would turn the motor over before even thinking about coming off.
fuck...i guess i can put the wheel back on to get it off. just a pain.

·
FAT IS THE NEW SKINNY!!!!
3,036 Posts
Yea, flatten the washer and Impact is the easiest. I have used a socket and a good ratchet with a big ass breaker bar before as well. Ive had em come off easy and also had ones that were a bitch coming off.

·
Respect can't be bought.
4,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yea, flatten the washer and Impact is the easiest. I have used a socket and a good ratchet with a big ass breaker bar before as well. Ive had em come off easy and also had ones that were a bitch coming off.
it isnt the origanl. so heres hoping. so there is a washer behind the nut but in front of the sprocket that i need to flatten before taking the main nut off.

·
FAT IS THE NEW SKINNY!!!!
3,036 Posts
yes.....its usually bent against the nut in a few spots. Hammer and a punch or a flathead screwdriver should do.

·
Respect can't be bought.
4,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I guess if it were easy it wouldn't be fun.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts