Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
fighter transplant in NC
14,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, so the bike (1987 FZ-700) comes home this weekend after a LONG hiatus at a local shop. the fork seals are gonna need replaced soon, so I thought it might be a good time to build my new front end.

what forks do you guys recomend? I'm lookin for anything that can handle the weight, so probably from a liter bike. I'll be machining the tripples from 6061 T6 aircraft aluminum with integrated risers and all that fun stuff. thats the easy part. I just need to know what forks would be best and why? I would love to go all out on an aftermaket set but I can't afford it, so they're gonna have to be from a slavage yard or ebay. unless one of you guys have a spare set laying around that'll fit the bill

when the bike gets home I'll be outside with dial calipers and tape measure to get all the basic dimensions.

give me your thoughts

·
Eff Tee Pee
29,647 Posts
everyone always says how good gsxr1000 forks are, but im sure that the forks off any new bike would do the trick.

we have a set of 2000+ gsxr 1000 forks at my work. they need a top cap on one side ($150). mbe we could work something out for you.

go to my work site if your interested. (www.skycycle-salvage.com) and fill out a salvage parts request. make sure you include your phone number and put a "CF" on there somewhere so i know its you.

·
fighter transplant in NC
14,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I gotta wait until I have the money for it. I've been lookin at forks on ebay, got allot of good ideas. from what I've been reading the gixxer forks are the way to go.

I was kicking myself yesterday, there was a set from a 2000 gsxr 1000. straight and good condition with a buy it now price of $100. and I can't scrape a hundred bucks together. damn.

·
Eff Tee Pee
29,647 Posts
FUCK that is a good deal. just be wary of buying stuff thru there. i've def. gotten good stuff, stuff that looked good (but wasnt) and total shite!

i'll see what i can do those forks for...send me a salvage request so i remember to.

·
?????????????
5,471 Posts
fslflint said:
ok, so the bike (1987 FZ-700) comes home this weekend after a LONG hiatus at a local shop. the fork seals are gonna need replaced soon, so I thought it might be a good time to build my new front end.

what forks do you guys recomend? I'm lookin for anything that can handle the weight, so probably from a liter bike. I'll be machining the tripples from 6061 T6 aircraft aluminum with integrated risers and all that fun stuff. thats the easy part. I just need to know what forks would be best and why? I would love to go all out on an aftermaket set but I can't afford it, so they're gonna have to be from a slavage yard or ebay. unless one of you guys have a spare set laying around that'll fit the bill

when the bike gets home I'll be outside with dial calipers and tape measure to get all the basic dimensions.

give me your thoughts
Front end conversions are a great way to modenize the look of ya ride and you sound confident enough to me to handle most probs that will crop up, so i'd reakonmend getting a complete USD front end (get the front wheel, spindle, discs and calipers aswell if you can) off a year 2000+ 600 sports bike (should be a lot cheaper than a litre+ bike set up) and you can adjust for extra weight by fitting progressive springs or heavier fork oil ( i'm using GSXR750 forks with a 1100 lump and it handles fine) you will almost certainatly have to transplant the steering stem (but since you machining your own yokes/tripples i guess you got that covered) if you can't get the entire front end you'll run in to silly little probs like brake discs/carriers are wrong size and wheel spindles not fitting, best to swap the entire front end running gear to the same make and model bike in my oppinion, hope this helps ya out matey :D

·
fighter transplant in NC
14,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I hadn't decided if I would be goin with the gixxer wheels and front brake yet. but as the old FZs have notoriously bad front brakes and an odd front rim size I was planning on upgrading them too as well. the only problem is that it makes the most sense to do all that at the same time and that takes a bit more money than I got. so I may just keep the front end together the way it is and save up, accumulate the parts needed before I do the conversion all at once.

it looks like its gonna be an 01 gixxer front end swap on an ancient yamaha with custom tripples. sounds fun.

I think with the custom front end, a good tail chop and the braced swing arm its gonna be a decidedly good lookin American fighter. maybe even respectable by brit standards:cfcartman:

I've never seen pic but I've heard of people modding Kawy rearsets to work on the old FZs. that may get thrown on too. or should I just build rearsets from scratch? damn, decisions decisions.

·
Eff Tee Pee
29,647 Posts
:cfrocks:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts