Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Mad Sconnie
2,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm have a 900RR front end I am looking at swapping onto my CX500. I also have a 81 CB750 front wheel I want to put in the forks so it will match the CX500 rear Comstar wheel, but with dual brakes. The CB wheel uses a 15mm axle and the 900RR has a 20mm axle.

From what I've seen, the CB wheel uses a 6302 bearing which is 15x42x13. According to the size chart on All Balls, there is a 6004 bearing which is 20x42x12. If I use the 6004 bearing in the CB wheel, the OD will fit the CB wheel, and the ID will fit the 900RR axle, but it is 1mm narrower than the stock CB bearing.

Would it be fine to use a bearing that is 1mm narrower than the stock bearings? I still need to make spacers to center the wheel in the forks, so that 1mm difference could just be added onto the length of the spacer.

If that wouldn't work, I could have a 1mm shim cut at work that I could install into the wheel before installing the bearings, which would bring the outer surface of the bearing out to where the stock bearing would have been.

Would either of these options work properly to fit the CB750 wheel onto the 900RR forks?

·
Super Moderator
5,659 Posts
+1, no shim or you`ll be having to also make a longer center tube inside the wheel or the bearings will be under sideways load which destroys them very quickly.

very shoddy quick paint demostration :D Don`t reckon that a little lip in front of the bearing will do much of anything.

A `Blade front end on a CX? Got a build thread?

Reactions: SabreV45

·
Mad Sconnie
2,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
+1, no shim or you`ll be having to also make a longer center tube inside the wheel or the bearings will be under sideways load which destroys them very quickly.

very shoddy quick paint demostration :D Don`t reckon that a little lip in front of the bearing will do much of anything.

A `Blade front end on a CX? Got a build thread?
Good call on the inner spacer being the wrong length if shims were used. I didn't think of that. :rock:

No build thread yet. I'm not planning much with the CX at the moment. It was bought mainly as something to ride until my Bastard Child build is done, which unfortunately is pretty much on hold for a little while until I most likely buy a house next year. The place I'm renting right now doesn't have any room to work on it.

I got an awesome deal on the 900RR forks a few years ago, and when I bought the CX, the guy threw in a bunch of CB parts he had laying around. The CB wheel is a perfect match for the Comstar wheels on the CX, but with dual brakes. The 900RR forks bolt right on to the CX frame. I figured I'd bring the forks and wheel to my place, and once the wheel it fitted on the forks, it'd be easy to get the whole front end bolted onto the CX.

CX and the Bastard

·
Mad Sconnie
2,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Aren't you going to hafta build a new 20mm inner spacer anyway?
Well damn, that would make too much sense. Guess I wouldn't be able to fit a 20mm axle through a 15mm spacer. Good catch.

·
Super Moderator
5,659 Posts
Aren't you going to hafta build a new 20mm inner spacer anyway?

Eh... oh... nooooo you see it goes inside the wheel, no one's gonna see it so just tap the axel a little harder when fitting it and it'll go right through!

:oops:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts