Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
21 - 40 of 123 Posts

·
2,781 Posts
get it in over the weekend......

...then get working on a new tailend to show it off;)

·
Registered
368 Posts
Does the Single swinger affect handling in any way? I love the look, but I also love the way my 900 handles right now.

·
Pueling Pueman
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
i'd love to Sideshow bob, but tomorrow morning i fly out to florida for 9 days.....when i get back i need to get the necessary spacer sorted so if you know anyone who can do that for me let me know.....

@ deftone, i imagine the handling will change slightly, reasons being the 93 blade is 65mm shorter than the 94VFR, this could be due to the rake of the VFR being 26degrees vs the blades 24, or it could have a slightly longer swingarm....the VFR also wears a 190 tyre compared to the blades 180 so that will also make a slight difference.....i doubt i'll notice it really....

·
Registered
368 Posts
Looking forward to seeing what you do to the tail, I'm looking for ideas myself.

·
Pueling Pueman
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
yeah i'm still undecided.....always sussing other peoples tail ends out for ideas.......i'll probably end up being really spontaneous with it and make a poorly thought out but good looking and uncommon decision.....that's how the rest of my life seems to play out anyway...

·
Registered
368 Posts
I think I've got it narrowed down to either a 916 monoposto tail or a chopped up modified 900 tail.

·
Pueling Pueman
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
yeah i was thinking about all the usual suspects...late model gsxr, R1 etc, but have also considered modding the original unit....even think about putting something really old on, like from a cb900f

i know im gonna keep it as a two seater, i have a girl im gonna be buying a bike for soon, but she wants to ride with me too and i like that so i need the back seat....luckily theres a ton of room for two seats even if i make it all shorter

·
Pueling Pueman
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Purchased a straight and good condition 93 blade subframe today on eBay, a.d will be getting a small grinder and MIG welded too....as I don't feel confident enough to build a subframe from scratch I figured chopping and altering one that fits would be the best option for me, and I don't wanna chop the one that's on the bike in case I ruin it...next plan, choose a seat unit and then when I get back to the UK I can DW....

·
Registered
368 Posts
Solid plan.

·
Pueling Pueman
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
picked up a new flat traker seat unit today.....

grinder has arrived, and my new welder will be dropped off tomorrow, then i need to get some alluminium mig wire and learn how to weld it properly....

but for today i think i'm gonna start hacking up the subframe so i have an idea of what bits need to be welded where to get the correct height etc for the seat unit

·
Pueling Pueman
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
just checking out how it's gonna sit on the subframe....it'll cover the top rails when it's on properly, the box under the rear seat was preventing it from sitting 100%, i also need to trim the front of the side parts of the seat unit, where there is a black line, that will let the unit sit flush on the subframe...

gonna have to find a place for the massive heavy duty regulator but that should be simple enough....

and like a twat i cut off the rear footrest hangers....forgetting that they actually hold the exhaust tight.....so now i will need either cut up the original subframe and then trim the footrest hanger hinges off and polish, or have a bracket made which will probably cost more than i just paid for the subframe....i think i'm gonna use the one i just cut up to make sure the seat fits properly and get the light secured and ready to wire up on its tail tidy and then when i am ready to go i can pull the original subframe off and have it chopped and ready to go in half an hour....

or maybe i can just weld one of the threaded bits back on and then hack the hanger up....suppose im gonna have to practice my alluminium welding a bit first

·
2,781 Posts
I still got a '95 subbie sat in my garage, if you need one to practise on

personally I found it easier to make one than adapt but had to use steel rather than Ali :D

·
Pueling Pueman
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
thanks bob...i think i'll prolly just end up using the original now that i know what NOT to cut off :doh:

tell you what though mate i wouldn't mind coming up your way sometime to have a chat and a squizz at your orange beastie....your bike is huge inspiration

·
2,781 Posts
thanks bob...i think i'll prolly just end up using the original now that i know what NOT to cut off :doh:
No worries, but if you decide you need it give us a shout
tell you what though mate i wouldn't mind coming up your way sometime to have a chat and a squizz at your orange beastie....your bike is huge inspiration
& if you ever round this way.. you'll be welcome*

*I don't need much of an excuse to drone on about & show off Roadkill
:LolLolLolLol:

·
Pueling Pueman
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
So today was a bit of a disaster.....i was amped to put the new swingarm on and when i had it mostly stripped i discovered that i needed a 14mm allen key to remove the swingarm spindle....so ended up putting it all back together and getting the allen key....hopefully next weekend will be dry too so i can try again....i'm ready now and now i know what needs to be done it'll go quicker....

ended up just fitting new exhaust gaskets as it was blowing a bit, cleaned off the engine using Alloy bright which really made a huge difference.....other than that, no progress today....

On the upside i have been designing a few subframes....it was suggested that i get a custom subframe on the thing and i got really inspired....unfortunately i don't have the skills required to build what i want by hand so have been designing on CAd and when i have settled on a design and completed it i will be having one machined and welded together for me.....don't shoot me, i want it done and don't want to wait till i learn how to weld alluminium or buy a plasma cutter....sometimes it's easier to get a professionals help, especially when your life is on the line....

So the following 3 designs are what i have been working on.....i'm leaning to the third design, which was the thrid one i made......any comments?? suggestions??? any machine shops in the UK you might want to recommend?? otherwise i'll be getting hold of streetfighter bling.com....they have done some outstanding work..

·
fighterer still learning
931 Posts
Hey thought id drop in an say hey as I've just got myself a 97 blade that's goin fighter now after a day of owning it lol
looking good but im torn on the subframe design, i would say keep it simple so the bodywork takes your eye an not the subbie. water swinger you putting on? I've got an vfr800 arm goin on mine hopefully next week :)
Keep up the work bud!

:knucks:

·
Pueling Pueman
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
I have a VFR 750 swinger with the earlier model 8 spoke wheel....

the way Im thinking about the subframe is: the early blades have and awesome frame, it is a feature of the bike, soild and very prominent....my seat unit is very minimal and i have very little other bodywork, only the tank and the bellypan....so i think creating a subbie that blends with and compliments the frame and adds some visual weight to the rear of the bike is going to be a good idea....

it's difficult to explain really......

·
Pueling Pueman
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
So today was gonna be a good day, i got all the tools i needed to completer the job, see the pic...chain breaker, 27mm socket for swingarm nut, a fuck off big socket for the VFR hub nut and the bastard that screwed me most last week, a 14mm allen key/drain plug which removes the swingarm adjuster nut...

DO NOT ATTEMPT TO DO THIS SWOP WITHOUT THESE ITEMS...

so i got it all off and got the new arm on no problem....only to discover that my chain wont fit over the back sprocket (it's a 44 and the blade one is 43), i seemed to be two to three links short....no matter how far in i adjusted the wheel it wasn't gonna work...

i also noticed that the brake line i have that is on the blade which i was hoping to use is too short so will need to get a VFR one....i'll go the whole hog and get a braided one so it'll match the front....

So after drowning my sorrow in a cup of coffee and having a slap up breakfast i started to take it all apart again to put the old bits back on when i noticed to my horror that i have a crack in my frame!!! FUUUUCK!!! Its where the bar that supports the shock linkage is welded to the frame on the right hand side of the bike......motherfucker!!!

So, my next step before i do anything else is to find someone who can reweld that bit for me, which sucks cos i wanna make the bike look and go different, not fuck around repairing shit......this is a pain!!

·
Pueling Pueman
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
thie weekend turned out to be a pretty huge job for me as the crack in the frame became a big crack after a jaunt up to london and back yesterday

as i use the bike to get to work and back i had no other option but to strip the whole bike down and reassemble with the frame i bought....a daunting task considering i have only a driveway and english weather to contend with, and short days..

so i started working around 11am by the time it got dark at 4.30 i had the new swingarm on the new frame, the complete subframe was on and the engine was loose in the old frame..i left the carbs and loom connected to the engine during removal

this morning i fitted the front end and lifted the newly assembled rolling chassis over the engine, got the harness switched over....i fucking don't understand electric stuff!! just took lots of photos of wiring and referred back...

so, new sprockets and chain, braided hose for the rear brake it's all on and working again, i also got a vfr brake lever with and reservoir so i got rid of the old round plastic bottle.

and i'm chuffed cos i finally got the single sided swingarm on, after a couple of false starts....just gotta bleed the front brakes tomorrow and wire up the indicators and its good to go

my back is fookin killing me:gears:

the rain clouds came and made everything dark and damp but its as it should be

21 - 40 of 123 Posts