Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
41 - 60 of 123 Posts

·
Pueling Pueman
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
hey mate...

so where i am at the moment is:

the bike is together and tight and running well, i tidied up the front end electrics,

but it rained lightly on me and i ended up with water in the headlight relay, so i decided to water-proof all the relays under the tank too. It's still a bit of a mess down there but it's not really something i'm aching to do right now....

and made a bracket to mount the gauge in front of the bars, replaced the reservoir with a vfr 800 unit ....

The winter is mild, i worked fucking hard on the bike a short while back and i'm taking advantage.... I've tested it and checked it all over again and i'm happy it's safe again and the other day i fucking made it scream...i decided to take the back twisty roads home from london and tore through the traffic and generally doubled the speed limit everywhere (except urban of course, last thing you need to do is hit a kid around christmas!! or anytime for the matter)....

the bike is still in daily use, and is always dirty with mud and road muck....there's not much fightering happening, just small tweaks here and there... I added the hugger when i fitted the swingarm but i'm not happy with it....it needs to be trimmed and fucked around with a bit

the next big bit is the subframe and seat unit..... I've been CADing up one of the designs, im not finished with it yet and when i am i don't know how long it'll be before i get the bits made because i think it's gonna cost a fair bit and i'm busy finding a bigger house (with a garage) and bringing my american fiance and her kid out to live with me in the UK

:shocker:

I was thinking i might be able to use this steering damper lug to bolt some kind of design to the frame...As the bike will be yellow when it's finished i might use some brass and cut and bend something that flows along the frame nicely....just on the one side....because fuck symmetry

that's pretty much it at the moment.....thanks for the interest

·
Pueling Pueman
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
just thought i'd give anybody who's following my (slow) build an update and a teaser.....

i have been busy for a few hours every night this week working on the subframe i want (it's the third design from the previous pages, or pages)

orignally i wanted to CAD it and have it machined but that seemed to be a long way round, though it would probably have been the most professional looking way of doing it....i reckon it would've cost a ton too, maybe not but i changed my mind based on that...

the subframe has to be bare metal to match the frame so stainless was the only choice....i got in 1mx1mx2mm stainless sheet, 2x20mmx3mm.1000mm flat stainless bars, some stainless mig wire and the necessary welding gas.....

i thought the best way would be to cut the plates i need, then have them pressed at a metal shop, but they weren't too helpful and have a long turn around time....and im impatient

so a grinder, a jigsaw to cut wooden shapes, an assortment of mallets and hammers and a blow torch and a vice and this is what i have

i want to get it finished and then i will post up a whole load of photos showing step by step how i made it.....i might be doing this the long way round, but i am a jeweller and this is how i do things, by hand, slowly and as accurately as i can........if i can get my stainless welding up to scratch while i do this i'll be extra happy cos that'll just be another skill i'll have started learning..... at present the pieces are merely tacked together

i'm quite chuffed so far, but the proof will be in the pudding so to speak....:rock:

·
MOTIVATED AGAIN!!!
2,206 Posts
That's a different way of doing it. Hope it turns out well, and strong enough to support your weight. I really hope it turns out well tho, it looks awesome.

·
Pueling Pueman
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
thanks guys....I'm sure it'll be strong enough, there's a lot of metal involved, especially with the flat bars running around the perimeter of the plates.....plus it'll all bbe cross braced at various points

when i get to adding mounting points i might take it into a professional to get some nice ones machined, and also to weld everything up nicely if my welding skills aren't gonna give me a good result by then,,,

if i can hang the bike by the subframe i'll know its safe

·
MOTIVATED AGAIN!!!
2,206 Posts
Oh ok, sounds much more involved than I thought it would be. The lines of it look great. Didn't really think too far into it tho lol. Thanks for the info. Now get back to work you lazy git! Lol

·
Pueling Pueman
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
the two halves are tacked, front braces are tacked in place but will be replaced with decent square tube...at the moment i'm still busy trimming the front parts that sit against the frame to make the halves level...

slowly slowly....

Next step is to make a frame that the seat unit is gonna sit on....once i've done that i will start tacking the cross braces into position, make up some mounting brackets and tack those in place....then i gotta find a welder to weld it nicely for me.....i've tried, and practiced a bit, but i really don't think i'll do a good enough job....i'm putting a lot of time and effort into this subframe and i want it to look good when it's all done, so i figure i might as well pay a pro...

·
Jarhead Supreme
6,487 Posts
That tails fookin high, I like it! It's kind of hard to tell with the tank off, but I'm a bit concerned about that height and a significant raise in the center of gravity from the rider being seated so high. These things affect handling and such.

How's about a pic of you simulating your seating position with that setup?

·
Pueling Pueman
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
bear in mind that the unit was only resting on top of the subframe for a pic....it wouldnt seat properly because of my pigeon poo welds...

im at the stage of getting the pieces at the correct widths front and back and still need to Fab up proper solid plates to fit in where the subframe rests against the rear of the frame...so as you can see im about an inch higher and will trim the fronts of the main plates to give the required angle at a later stage..

red line is original seat height, green line is new seat unit height (the extra white bit you see above the green line is because the pic was taken at a slightly elevated angle...)

when it's finished the angle you can see that runs along the length of the seat unit will be at the same level as the top of the metal pieces....if that makes sense...

i forsee more wheelies as it is!!

·
MOTIVATED AGAIN!!!
2,206 Posts

·
Pueling Pueman
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
well i started cutting and tacking the support for the seat unit this evening....

still slow going but it's coming along....im really looking forward to the day i drop it off at a welder to weld it all together properly....but fook, besides finishing these bits and adding cross braces and cutting out the main mounting plates i've still gotta make a battery box, undertray, get the light unit and figure out exactly how the seat unit is gonna stay secure but still be easy to remove....

·
Premium Member
2,225 Posts
Keep it up mate!

Top tip - the VFR master is 1/2", so too small. Have you noticed it comes back (nearer) to the bar?

You need 14mm master, you can get a suitable one from a CB1300, if you like the integral reservoir type. There will be other ones that work, that's the first one in my head though, and you'd have to confirm I'm right.

What you really want is these:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HONDA-CBR...59?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item484495dfcf

and suitable 5/8" master cylinder from a cbr600f4i. Again, double check that. Mmmmm, teflon pistons.

Reactions: fu_jac

·
Pueling Pueman
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
hey buddy, thanks for the tip.....i have actually noticed that the lever comes a little further back, not too much that it worries me, but yeah it does come back further for sure....

well i have just purchased a 99R1 front end, complete with harrison blillet 6 calipers, braided lines, brand news discs, top and bottom yokes and also some seriously awesome billet clip ons, which i'll be keeping for the other bike (now that i have almost a whole other bike in the shed)....also included are a pair of gsxr(?) levers, brake and clutch, both with integrated reservoirs.....so hopefully they'll be a bit better than the vfr unit.....and the whole set-up is held together with blue titanium bolts!!!

bits are getting fitted next week...

think i scored actually.... the whole front end set me back £410, the calipers alone are worth more than that....

soon i'll get busy with the subframe again.....i got stuck cos i couldn't figure out how to centre the two side panels.....but have recently figured it out....

·
Pueling Pueman
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
so the new front end is installed and im fookin chuffed.....the guys at the shop mounted the headlight too high though so i jjust gotta drop it back to where it was and then i'll be happy.....gonna be having a set of billet headlight brackets made up next, but gotta design em first cos the headlight has a weird set up for mounting....

it should be dry this weekend which is good cos those brakes are fookin staunch and i need to get used to em...i feel a hoon coming on...

the front end came with a hydraulic clutch lever and res so i think i'll do a hydrailic clutch conversion soon too.....that'll keep the levers looking the same.....might spray miy mudguard metallic baby blue too like it was...i liked it like that....

41 - 60 of 123 Posts