Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
81 - 100 of 123 Posts

·
Pueling Pueman
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #83 ·
http://www.barneysuperbikes.co.uk/

These are the guys who've done the stainless welding and a lot of the fab work for me....I'd recommend them anytime....I've never had to leave my bike there for more than two days, even when they supplied and swapped my blown motor...

·
Pueling Pueman
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #84 ·
so, today was the first day we've seen the subframe on the bike and it's looking mean as fuck....

we decided the exhaust is going to need angling to match the line of the bottom of the subframe.....no underseat zorst for me....i like it as it is, just needs a bit of a tweak.....

·
Pueling Pueman
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #88 ·
got the exhaust angled up and a bracket made, the coils are in and the dyna ignition is installed......hopefully it'll be fired up again tomorrow.....soooooo close to being finished now!!!

·
Pueling Pueman
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #90 ·
Cheers mate...it hasn't been easy, but I'm pretty happy that the finished product is exactly what i saw in my mind at the beginning, regarding the subframe at least.. the rest has been trial and error

·
Pueling Pueman
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #92 ·
so, got the bike back today and i'm so super stoked with it, it's exactly as i pictured it when i first settled on a subframe design, the only difference is the clip-ons....that was an impromptu decision and i'm gonna stick with it for now.....

just need to sand the subframe to get the finish as i want it and make up the actual seat which is half done already.....

fookin chuffed!!

and i see a load of my pics arent showing up on the thread.....i think it's cos i linked to facebook pics and my password has changed....i'll sort it soon...

·
Pueling Pueman
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #93 ·

this is the team at Barneys superbike services in Fareham who were awesome in helping me realise my vision..... http://www.barneysuperbikes.co.uk/

if you live down the south of england and need ANY bike work done give them a call on 01329 825505. Paint, mods, repairs, bodywork, tuning, Dyno and normally a good laugh too....

next up for my bike is prolly gonna be paint and nitrous....

·
Pueling Pueman
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #94 ·
this was the design i settled on after fabbing a custom subframe was suggested....this is a mix of CAD and photoshop

printed out a life size template, cut it from card....

i made two templates from card for the plates that would rest against the rear of the frame, cut them from 2mm stainless, good enough to get busy....

cut the two main sections from 2mm stainless, the original plan was to bend that bottom section 90degrees but eventually i cut them off and offered up thicker wide bar....

used my templates to cut some wooden dies/forming blocks

pigskin mallets so as not to damage the metal while shaping....

scored the groove using an angle grinder

carefully positioned in a vice with another smaller vice used to give the right leverage and even pressure....worked perfectly....

tacked the end plates to the main sections...

offered the sections up to my spare frame to check fitment, angles etc...pretty happy at this stage...

here you can see how i positioned the 20mm x 3mm flat stainless bar on the main sections. I tacked a bit then bent the next bit and tacked that....using about 2 - 3 inch intervals i get the flar bar bent really close....the hardest part was bending the bar sideways which involved heating with a blowtorch and careful pulling and hammering...

trimmed off the bottom section that i was originally going to bend underneath, starting to take shape now....

flat bar tacked all around the perimeter of the sections ready for final welding....

the next two pics are out of sequence, but you can see what was involved in shaping the edges....

a couple of vice-grips to hold the pieces onto the frame, happy so except for...

....the pieces angle too far inwards towards the back of the unit, so i needed to trim the fronts down to widen up the gap....

a little more....

ok.....job done, now lets check what the seat unit looks like......

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,i will link to the rest of the subframe build pics in a bit...and i'll write explanations too...

·
Pueling Pueman
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #96 ·
Hmm, sitting position will be quite high.
if you look up the thread just a little you will see that it's actually finished...and entered in FOTM this month.....im just sorting out the subframe build process for the thread as i said i would come back to it........

i sit about an inch and a half higher than i used to which is fine.....i needed a bit of extra leg room.....

popped yer flip off cherry for ya....

·
Pueling Pueman
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #97 ·
seeing as i need to have a gap under the seat unit i needed a frame under the unit to stop it collapsing, started getting it together out of 20mm stainless square tubing I added a couple of temporary braces to hold it all together while i got the frame made up...

it was around this point that i decided i didn't have enough welding experience to complete the task myself and so decided to enlist the help of Barney and his team at Barneys superbike services.....(i was also struggling for space...i was making the subframe at work, which is a jewellery workshop and was covering the workshop in stainless filings and dust, not ideal when we melt gold and platinum down....last thing i needed was to find little specks of stainless melted into some grannies ring. If that happens we have to refine the gold which means losing 10% as payment.....i couldnt afford that chance as well as the fact that i had reached the limits of my fabricating abilities.....

the rest of the subframe build can be found in the thread but i'll pop some pics in here just to keep it flowing....

first thing they did was weld the main parts up properly and clean the welds up, mounting points came next.....

next the top frame was attached to the main parts.....note that the 2mm plates that sit against the frame were swapped for 5mm stainless plates quite a while back...

tail light is from some moped, it's a perfect fit.....

next an under seat section was made up and added to the top frame section, this will prevent the seat collapsing and also acts as an extra brace between the two sides of the unit. The section i'm talking about follows the lines of the seat unit and can be seen in a couple of pics below.....

the exhaust needed angling.....

like this....

a few mounts for the shock reservoir, regulator/rectifier and rear brake reservoir were made up and added. A battery box was also made up from stainless and moved forward of the subframe, you can see the yeloow battery through the triangle shaped hole in the frame....

a chain gaurd was needed, mainly to keep the rear brake line off the chain (the line will be swapped out for a longer one soon which will be routed through the swingarm...

i made the seat from a 4mm sheet of perspex, woulded by hand using a heat gun and burnt fingertips!!. Tore up one regular pillow for soft cushioning and then added some memory foam from another pillow on top and pulled some sweet ass genuine leather over it.....not very professional at all but it works, looks good and is as comfortable as it's going to be considering the angle of the tail......at first i was a little bothered about the new riding position but after a few rides i'm getting used to it and have started pulling crossed up wheelies out of roundabouts already......

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Stick a 3 spoke wheel in the rear, the mismatched wheel looks dreadful, the Triumph hub will slot into the Honda arm, and allow use of either a Triumph 3 spoke or a Ducati wheel, which will at least look reasonably ok with the R1 front wheel.
As for the seat pad, speak to Lee at viking Vinyl in Maidstone, send him a base and he'll upholster it and shape it properly, add gel pads if required etc, and cover it in whatever covering you want, post it on a Monday, and it will be back on the Friday.
The only issue with using leather is the porosity, and in no time the seat will be full of water.

Reactions: fu_jac

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
The only issue with swapping the front is disc diameter, the 8 spoke uses a smaller disc than the R1 wheel. Swapping to the Triumph rear is a much easier option. I picked up a Triumph rear wheel for £60, and a complete arm for £100 which gave the hub assembly.

·
609 Posts
Yup ya right ................. a blade with a SSSA and mismatched wheels is certainly pushing the boundaries of individuality :wtf:

81 - 100 of 123 Posts