Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
"More than meets the eye"
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have done a bit of a search but getting the right search results is so difficult.

I am looking for threads / posts where guys have modified their fuel tanks to increase the capacity, hopefully there are some Honda VTR related stuff.

Since my bike's tank needs a bit of repair I wanted to cut it open to change the lines a little.

I found a thread on OZFIRESTORM where a guy wanted to sell some VTR Firestorm stuff including a tank modified to hold 23 litres instead of the stock 16 litres:
http://ozfirestorm.proboards.com/thread/13601

So far I am planning on doing something very similar except that at the rear I will be cutting further to the rear which will give me greater capacity. I will then raise the top by 3 inches and according to some rough calculations should give me a tad over 50% increase in capacity.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi, I did a similar thing as I wanted greater range on my 05 750 GSXR and to add visual 'bulk' so I cut and stretched the tank - but I wanted a less erm, obvious look than that VFR. By cutting and opening it like a clam shell there was no need to change the vent pipework and it gets an extra 40 miles range. All normal caveats about cleaning and venting etc apply - and I also used tank sealer as my tigging is not up to scratch.

It took a fair bit of fiddling (and filling) to get a good finish and I want to go again to get a bigger range.

Buy a cheap dented tank and give it a go.
Good luck!

·
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There isnt much space under my vfr rc24 but i think topic is about vtr1000
Yeah it is for a VTR 1000.

Even if there was some space under the tank above the airbox it wouldn't give me near the extra range I am wanting.

Hi, I did a similar thing as I wanted greater range on my 05 750 GSXR and to add visual 'bulk' so I cut and stretched the tank - but I wanted a less erm, obvious look than that VFR. By cutting and opening it like a clam shell there was no need to change the vent pipework and it gets an extra 40 miles range. All normal caveats about cleaning and venting etc apply - and I also used tank sealer as my tigging is not up to scratch.

Buy a cheap dented tank and give it a go.
Good luck!
Well, my tank is in fact dented...the left outer most bulge is a bit flat. In fact I have a second tank also dented but little worse...right handle bar knocked into it.

My plan is to do my cut as much as possible on the upright portions all the way round...just the very front is angled and then the rear where it slopes down towards the seat. I should then hopefully get it much less obvious than that VTR tank. If I feel up to it I will try and blend that rear portion in some or other way to hide the "step".

And yes, with me also not trusting my welding to that extent I will also got the sealer route. once done.

On a normal working day I do a 70 mile round trip so on a stock tank I ride two days to work and back. This mod should give me another day before refilling.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I've, got an old Ducati Monster tank (dented) I might give this a shot! Although my welding is absolutely carp (and my cutting skills have something to be desired!).

I might just give it to someone with the skills!!

·
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Owning a VTR as well, I too know how you feel. Neo, have you been on the Superhawk Forum?
Here's an example...click here
And then there is this monster...click here
Of course there is always the VFR tank swap.
Thanks. I knew about the Superhawk Forum but didn't even think to search there...as ast the VTR1000.org forum where I found this one:
http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=25988

He cut the tank at the base and added the new sheetmetal in there.

·
Fighter 4 Christ
794 Posts
what's the prep work before cutting into and welding up a tank? i had filled my old vf700f's tank with water before trying to braze it. but never cut up and welded a tank. would love to rework my 79 xs650's tank

·
890 Posts
what's the prep work before cutting into and welding up a tank? i had filled my old vf700f's tank with water before trying to braze it. but never cut up and welded a tank. would love to rework my 79 xs650's tank

You can neutralize any gas fumes by hooking up a vacuum cleaner hose to your car exhaust and pumping that inside the bike tank. Let the car idle for about 20 minutes or so and the gas fumes will be expelled.

·
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, all I did was to fill the tank with water two or three times as the filling actually expels the fumes.

·
Fighter 4 Christ
794 Posts
Someone had mentioned to me that fumes get stuck in the pores of the metal n can explode....any validity to this? Like I said I've done this with brazing and I'm still alive as are many of u as far as I can tell. But what do you say about this claim

·
890 Posts
interesting, how does that work? some molecular binding to co or nox?
Not sure on the science behind it - but I did it on my ZX9 tank before I took a grinder to it once. Worked great - absolutely no gas fumes in the tank after a session with the car exhaust.

Plus - it saves you having to put water in your tank.

·
Try Harder
1,846 Posts
Made this for my Bandit. Holds 6 gallons instead of 5. Tacked with a mig, and then finished out with a tig.

I had a donor tank that some dumbass bashed in with a hammer. I cut the entire top off, and used the bottom of it to make this one. Theres aprox 20 foot of weld on this tank. Not a single leak, but I used redkote tank liner on the inside to stop the bare steel from rusting.

The magic is in the bodywork. ;)

·
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Wow! That looks really awesome! I have had ideas to do that as I do have a second tank with a big dent in it which is perfect for donating the bottom and the filler to do something like this.

Reactions: CamBandit17

·
Try Harder
1,846 Posts
Wow! That looks really awesome! I have had ideas to do that as I do have a second tank with a big dent in it which is perfect for donating the bottom and the filler to do something like this.
Thanks. Go for it. The thickness of the stock tank is about 22ga... I used 18 to build it. Is a little heavier than a stocker, but the looks and extra capacity are worth it. IMO

·
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
1 - 20 of 24 Posts