Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Death or Glory
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The bike started off as an '88 FZR 400 with a bum engine. Swapped in a 600, extended the swingarm, converted the tail over to an '04-06 R1. Other than that it's got an exhaust, jets, pods, hot coils and a Performance Machine rear wheel.

The whole idea of this bike for me is to have a good gas mileage, light, small bike to use for everyday driving that I have as little money as possible in. A budget build. Most of my parts will be scavenged or bought used. The cheaper the better. The best part of all of this, the bike is being completely funded by ZLB Plasma. I donate plasma twice a week and that $65 is the only money that goes into the bike.

Plans are to put an Acerbis DHH on the front with a cheapo JC Whitney driving/fog light hidden underneath and back a little bit for better lighting at night. I'm going to try to get it as hidden as possible without compromising its effectiveness.

I've already stripped off the ugly chopper mirrors that have been on it since I got it and put on a single bar-end mirror, $11 at the local bike shop. On order is a Sigma wired bicycle computer ($30) that is backlit as well, eliminating a problem I've read a lot of people have with them.

As soon as I get a DHH, the plastics will come off and sent to eBay. After that my project is to get the solo tail glassed a bit better and maybe sell one from the design to make a little money for the bike.

The reason I'm doing this on the cheap is that I don't plan on holding onto this bike for long. I've got a TL1000S on the way that's been rashed a bit, I want to figure out what I like with this bike, try some different things and then go for broke on the TL.

Sorry for the book, here are some pictures:

·
Build It Ride It Live It
10,684 Posts
Talk about blood, sweat and tears. You should call it "Blood Money". That's a pretty cool idea actually. And helpful. Keep at it bud. curious to see where it goes. BTW, you're gona dig the TL. I miss mine.

·
Stiff Member
513 Posts
I'd high mount that exhaust and go through the swingarm with it. Maybe shorten the swingarm about 2 inches would also balance it out as far as proportion's are concerned. Other than that it looks GREAT.

·
Death or Glory
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i wouldnt touch the fizzer. that bike is cool like that
I'm really torn about it at the moment. One part of me wants to just hold off and fighter the TL and not bother with this one. But I want to be riding a fighter ASAP. Opinions?

I think the frame and the way the engine sits would make it a killer fighter, I'm just not a fan of the polished ish and stretched swingarms on fighters.

·
Stiff Member
513 Posts
Seriously, just a little shorted and it would look great. A short trip to a decent muffler shop for the pipe re-do and your golden. Keep it and have fun.

·
Death or Glory
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Finding a place around here that has a mandrel bender is going to be tough. I'm in Kansas. We're not quite up with the times.

·
Death or Glory
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Build the TL while you ride this
That's my other thought. I'd want to do roughly the same things I want to do to this with the TL. So the plans wouldn't really change as far as parts. The only thing I'd really have to deal with is how to get the tail the way I want it on the TL. I could do another R1 tail I guess, it just seems played out, like everything else out there.

·
Stiff Member
513 Posts
You could just order some mandrel bends and straight pipe, then do your own. Tack it up and take it off to fully weld. With that swingarm you have plenty of room.

Don't sweat the tail, use whatever looks best on it. Played is for people who keep track, its your bike enjoy it.

·
Death or Glory
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, here's an idea I had a while back after a night of drinking. Poorly sketched up as well, I might add. I have some exhaust tips off one of my old cars sitting around, I was thinking about cutting them at the same angle halfway back on the tip and welding them together and then running the exhaust up to them. It'd be an undertail that would have a tip coming out one on either side of the tag, at roughly a 45 degree from straight back. Here's a picture of one of the tips and the poor sketch. I might do a mock-up of one side tomorrow.

If you think it's stupid, let me know. Then I'll know to ignore you. :D

The only issue I think I might have is if the mouths of the tips are too big. It might be too much exhaust as far as looks go. We'll see though.

·
Stiff Member
513 Posts
With that size tip, come straight out the back with a single tip. Cut it like a birds mouth. Same angle you are talking about, but to the center from both sides. Would follow the angles of the tail better. So instead of /] [\ its more like /\

·
Death or Glory
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I was also thinking about doing a Buell-esque dump out of the back of the fairings under the rear shock with just one of those tips. It'd be loud and look good.

·
Build It Ride It Live It
10,684 Posts
Deffinatly underseat. With the R1 tail on there it's got a cool look, but something's missing. To thin, you know. The exhaust would deffinatly help fill it in. I like the idea of cutting the tips to match the angles of the tail. That would look smooth.

As far as what to fighter...

They would both look kool, but I think you'ld enjoy the TL a bit more. Buddy of mine bilt a real nice FZR fighter a few years back, but the TL will put a grin on your face everytime you throw a leg over it.

Do yourself a favor. take your time and build what you really want. Don't short cut it cause your in a hurry. Trust me on this. It takes twice as long to get it right. I've spent 3 years getting my bike where it is and I feel I'm only half way done with it. Why, cause I have to ride it everyday. but also because of that, I have to work fast when I want to change something. Gota get to work in the morrning.

Plus, it's nice to have a second bike when you really want to ride. And noone said you can't have a cool little bike to cruise around on.

·
Eff Tee Pee
29,691 Posts
i like your initial idea for the exhaust. that'll look sick! get them fairings off and a headlight on order!!

·
Death or Glory
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

As for ordering a headlight, if the dude in the classifieds with the DHH would respond I might have one. I'd like it asap.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.