Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 131 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello my name is Coen and I am from the Netherlands.

I just bought myself a FZR600 from 93. And I want to convert it to a streetfighter.

This was my first convert from a Kawasaki LTD454:

This is my FZR:

I will be converting the following:

- Tail (R1 04-06)
- Remove side fairings
- Front streetfighter fairing
- Front forks
- Straight bars
- Exhaust pipe (GP style)

I want to start but I have a few questions that I hope you experienced FZR builders can help me with :D:

I want to use a R1 tail (04-06). Can I fit the R1 seat right on the FZR with it's original tank? Or do you suggest another tail witch fits with the original seat?

Do you guys have a suggestion about witch USD forks to use for the FZR witch fit the original wheels and braking stuff?

And do you guys know if I can use clamps witch directly fit to the frame of the FZR.

Thanks.

Obviously I will post updates! (H)

·
Premium Member
1,336 Posts
I want to start but I have a few questions that I hope you experienced FZR builders can help me with :D:

I want to use a R1 tail (04-06). Can I fit the R1 seat right on the FZR with it's original tank?

No the FZR "tank" is just a plastic cover. Remove the front seat and you'll see that there's a big hole for the bumper on the front raised part of the seat. You could fiberglass that hole closed and cut the R1 seat to fit, but it won't work out of the box.

Or do you suggest another tail witch fits with the original seat?

Look for a bike that has a front seat with a very square back. You could probably make that work.

Do you guys have a suggestion about witch USD forks to use for the FZR witch fit the original wheels and braking stuff?

You won't be able to reuse your original wheels and such with most modern brake and suspension components. I'd recommend using a complete front end from a 1st generation R1.

And do you guys know if I can use clamps witch directly fit to the frame of the FZR.

I'm not really sure what sort of clamps you mean. If you're talking about the upper and lower triples, the front end of a YZF600R is a direct bolt on. Everything else will require at least a bearing swap.

Thanks.

Obviously I will post updates! (H)

Welcome in. Can't wait to see where you go with this.

·
addict
370 Posts
You could also use a yzf600 tank with a little work then there are way more seats that will fit and look good... And check pout some of the Fzrs on here they will give a lot of ideas...Blensen had a stellar looking one and mine isn't quite finished but has about everything you could possibly do an Fzr except motor work and that's next lol.... Good luck I always love a good Fzr fighter

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
1,336 Posts
You could also use a yzf600 tank with a little work then there are way more seats that will fit and look good... And check pout some of the Fzrs on here they will give a lot of ideas...Blensen had a stellar looking one and mine isn't quite finished but has about everything you could possibly do an Fzr except motor work and that's next lol.... Good luck I always love a good Fzr fighter

Thanks man. I had a lot of time into that bike. Probably should have just cleaned it up and kept it, but the B12 was calling my name and I could only keep one. The 660 build I had in that bike was a night and day transformation. WAY more power than the stock motor.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the reply's. I am now in the beginning stage of ordering and finding stuff for the FZR.

Just one question though: I found a complete front setup of an 99 R1: Forks, clamps and brake calipers. Do I need to change the wheel too? Or does the stock FZR wheel with brake discs fit? And if I do change it for a R1 front wheel, how will it look and feel with the stock FZR real wheel?

As far as now I am looking for an YZF600 (thundercat) tank and tail I really like the R1 02-03 tail:

I think I will make this fit my FZR with the YZF tank. What you guys think about it?

Thanks a bunch.

·
addict
370 Posts
you'll need the wheel and discs but your brakes will work

and as far as with the rear wheel i wouldnt know i couldnt leave it alone once i started (its a sickness and you'll get it too if you dont have it already lol) but this s a perfect time to swap your rear wheel or just the whole swingarm like i did cuz mismatch wheels bug me

the r1 tail looks good but i always thought they looked too long on most older bikes and it will look really wide with that skinny little tire back there... so your back to the swingarm or wheel swap... and the cycle never ends lol

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Fuck... This is going to be more expensive than I expected :p

Maybe I will keep the stock forks. Because I don't really have a big budget since I put all my money in my motocross hobby.

One more question, will the YZF tank fit with the stock airfilters?

·
i cant fart
10,917 Posts
No ur gonna have a hard time fitting that r1 tank to ur fzr. Because of the fuel pump, so I'll have to cut the bottom off that tank and take off the pump. And won't look good anyways causer its way fat.

·
addict
370 Posts
No ur gonna have a hard time fitting that r1 tank to ur fzr. Because of the fuel pump, so I'll have to cut the bottom off that tank and take off the pump. And won't look good anyways causer its way fat.
i think he meant the thundercat tank and yes it will fit but you will have to cut up the air box and fab some mounts for it but it all pretty basic stuff

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i think he meant the thundercat tank and yes it will fit but you will have to cut up the air box and fab some mounts for it but it all pretty basic stuff
Thanks I ordered it. Still not sure witch tail I want :O

These are my choices:
09-02 R6 tail
06-07 R6 tail
02-03 R1 tail
04-06 R1 tail

And about the forks. For now I will just put some thicker oil in there and see how it will react.

I will put a fatbar on there using the stock clamps.

Anyway I am quite excited to start this new project.

·
Fresh Fish
192 Posts
Good luck sounds like you have plenty to get started with. Shoot me a PM if I can help. I ended up running a 08 r6 front end by having fzr stem translpanted into the r6 lower.

If you end up running risers on the stock top triple be sure to beef up the backside because that thing is super thin.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If I remember correctly a seca top triple bolts onto Fzr forks with a clamp already on it
Oh nice thanks for the heads up. I just ordered one!

I will be changing the fork oil today and do some first time inspection of the FZR.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So forks feel way better with the new thicker oil in there.

Today it has been stripped:

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Another quick question. Don't get tired of me just yet :p I am just starting...

Seriously does it matter if I fill up the holes in my frame where the air intake used to be? Or will the air filters not get enough air?

·
probly wreck it
49 Posts
As long as the airbox isn't sealed to the frame on the inside, you should be ok. Try to see/imagine where the airbox inlets will be getting air, there doesnt need to be a great big dedicated space. Just make sure you aren't sealing up the only open passageways. 893cc 900RRs have just little air horns under the tank, and they get plenty of air from under the front of the frame.

1 - 20 of 131 Posts