Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys and gals I need a little help here.
I have a 93 fzr 600 and I'm swapping the swingarm out to a 08 gsxr 1000 swinger
I've pretty much got that under control but what I need help with is this

Please ignore the screw driver and socket extension. I'm gonna have to drill out the holes where the 08 gsxr 1000 shock mounts to the cushion

where I'm having issues is where the wishbones mount to the swingarm.
I'm using my stock wishbones and cushion from the fzr but on the stock fzr swinger
The mount for the wishbones is much wider than the gsxr.
Could I just make spacers to go on the insides of the wishbones?
The mount on the fzr has bearings in it but on the gsxr there's no bearings.
Will it be ok to just makes some spacers to make up the difference and use just a normal bolt to mount it up?

Thanks for any help you can give.

·
escape from prison planet
2,296 Posts
Maybe move the cushion lever to the swingarm and move the mount to the frame for the links, more like the intended orientation of the gsxr. Also, you might try narrowing or using a narrower cushion lever. I have an SV one, but it will be awfully short. Do you have any r6 suspension stuff you can substitute?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh ok so on the gsxr the cushion lever mounts to the swingarm and the shock and the links bolt to the frame, is this correct?

The only thing that I have laying around from the r6 is the swingarm and a set of links

·
Premium Member
1,336 Posts
Good call in using the stock cushion. It'll at least be somewhere in the neighborhood of stock suspension geometry that way. I would leave it mounted as is and have some spacers cut. In this situation I'd say the best option is to have the tabs on the arm cut off and rewelded if possible. Cut a spacer for in between and you'll never have any problems.

Barring that, you can use spacers, but you'll want to narrow the cushion as much as possible to reduce the bending moment on the bolt you eventually use. You can go that way, and if you use quality hardware it'll probably be fine. Just know that it isn't the ideal case.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Blensen I ended up changing it up a bit. I'm thinking of going this route, what do you think?

I ground down the cushion mount on the frame and cut the dogbone mount off my old fzr swingarm and am gonna weld it there on the frame where the cushion use to mount to.
More like the gsxr's are set up

·
Old, bold rider
179 Posts
It is a good idea to preserve the original geometry, and as luck would have it the GSXR and FZR link arms look very similar.

There are two links to videos of the motion of the FZR and GSXR rear suspension linkages in action.
GSXR:

FZR:

Notice the L shaped links in both act as multipliers, though the ratios will certainly be different, another reason to use the FZR link and shock.

By the way, here's a link to the simulator program that generated the videos:
http://blog.rectorsquid.com/linkage-mechanism-designer-and-simulator/

Believe it or not it's freeware, and the pivot points can be parametrically placed to get a real good idea of what's happening down there.

Rob

1 - 7 of 7 Posts