Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive read in the stickies but im not fully sure i understand

my question is the fzr 600 obviously has smaller fork tubes i would like to upgrade this to a newer front end with larger for tubes
i would also like to use a newer rear swing arm so that i can use the newer wheels to get a unique look

anyone know what parts are compatible for this swap or some direction to what needs to be done to make this stuff fit

trying to see if i can do this on a budget i can get an awesome deal on this bike

parts on ebay good deals. somone inlightin me on the hidden costs

·
Function IS Form
19 Z900, 88 Kat11
17,432 Posts
To put new forks on you have a few options:

1) Switch with forks that are the same diameter as your stock ones (not what you want)

2) Have triple-clamps machined that fit your bike's stem and the new forks you want to use.

3) Machine or shim your frame neck to use the triple clamps for the forks you want to use.

Custom triple clamps are the most aesthetically cool option and we have a couple members that can hook you up... FSLflint comes to mind first.

Swingarm swaps available to you depend entirely on the amount/type of working you're willing to do.
At the very least you'll need to shim and/or drill your various mounting points.
It goes on to include moving the shock mounting points on the swingarm or frame, offsetting one or both sprockets, and such and such.
A thing to keep in mind is that changing the angle of the shock between the frame and swingarm changes the handling of the bike drastically.

·
Naked from the waste down
1,334 Posts
#3 is an odd approach. You don't have to modify your frames neck.

I'd say just get the front end you want. If the stem doesn't fit in the neck of your frame then have your stock stem duplicated but moddified to fit into the new triples.

For swing arms, they are all different. Some are off set, some are centered. You will most likely need to either make a spacer or narrow the arm. Two easy tasks if done by a person with a remote bit of skill. Depending on the donor and application you may be better with the stock suspension from your bike or the donor arm bike. Just depends. Building a fighter is all about trail and error.

Try not to build a fighter because it will be cheaper then a newer bike. Because it will end up looking like a cheap bike. Build it because you want something no one else owns.

·
Buy all my shit!
6,042 Posts
Front end..

Press out your FZR steering stem and press it into any R6 lower tripple you choose, then you can use your stock neck bearings. You also would need a steel collor made to slide into the top tripple clamp hole to take up the slack where the stem goes threw. Then you can run a whole new front end

Rear end

I used an '04 R6 full rear suspension... Wheel, brakes, swingarm, shock.. everything

I took out the old swinger and shaved 15mm off the inside of the frame on each side. Since the frame is made of steel and I ended up cutting into the box of the frame, I just used steel plate and weld to fill in the gap. The I slid the swingarm into place.. I cut the upper shock mount off the frame aswell as the lower dog bone link mount and fab'd up all new stuff to accept the new R6 parts. I used the stock FZR swingarm pivot bold and had some custom spacers made. Sice the R6 swingarm pivot bolt was a bigger diameter I had spacers made to ride in the bearings inside the swingarm, but made the hole small enough inside the spacer to accept the stock pivot bolt

Like so..

The swingarm bearings ride on this

The spacers

They slide inside

and it changes the hole to this

·
Buy all my shit!
6,042 Posts
stock pivot bold in an R6 swinger.. vwalla (or how ever the fuck you spell it lol)

comparison between the 2 pivot bolts

For chain alignment run a 520 conversion with an '05 ZX6rr front sprocket. That will fit no problem, it slides right on. Only problem is you cant run a lock washer, you will just need to flip the nut over and use a shit load of red lock tite. I havent had any problems with mine. If the chain is pushed too far out bring it to a machine shop and have 1mm milled off the offset and you will be set, thats what I had to do.

·
Buy all my shit!
6,042 Posts
The new motor is already in, 2001 YZF600 with 9,000 miles on it. Now Im runnin all YZF shit.. a full stock exhaust with a chopped can, carbs, air box, wiring, electrical, controls and switch's, and gas tank. Ill have my Kevlar clutch on monday, should be up and running on monday or tuesday :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts