Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Thudarcat Rider
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I was trying to seal my gas tank, which failed, and ended up sealing the OEM gas cap shut, therefore I had to drill it out and replace it.

I then replaced with one almost exactly like one below.

My question is: Can I drill out the center and put a breathing hose and a conneter inside in order to get rid of the vacuum that is created when the gas system is closed? If I don't vent it, it's a PITA to open the cap when I refuel.

example:

Any thoughts on how to fix/ modify, I'd appreciate it.

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
On your tank there should be vents that you hook hoses up to off the tank ill look at the yzf600 tank I have in my garage but it should have 2 vents on it already. Maybe you just need to hook hoses up tp them for them to work properly

·
Bitches love Fighters
5,325 Posts
On your tank there should be vents that you hook hoses up to off the tank ill look at the yzf600 tank I have in my garage but it should have 2 vents on it already. Maybe you just need to hook hoses up tp them for them to work properly
it would be really nice if that would work but unfortunately it wont. also to the OP i would not drill there. open the unthread the center cap and take a picture of it. if you have to drill there is a specific place that you will want to do it.

·
Registered
740 Posts
My Vortex gas cap had a small nipple underneath the plate with the mounting screws that lines up with a groove when the cap is twisted into place to let air in. Others I've seen are similar.

A tank vacuum will very likely cause the bike to run like ass or not at all after a few minutes of running.

·
Thudarcat Rider
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My Vortex gas cap had a small nipple underneath the plate with the mounting screws that lines up with a groove when the cap is twisted into place to let air in. Others I've seen are similar.

A tank vacuum will very likely cause the bike to run like ass or not at all after a few minutes of running.
The bike runs just fine. It's when I go to refuel the bike, sometimes I have to pry at it for several minutes. I just assumed that it was a vacuum.

·
Thudarcat Rider
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
it would be really nice if that would work but unfortunately it wont. also to the OP i would not drill there. open the unthread the center cap and take a picture of it. if you have to drill there is a specific place that you will want to do it.
The tank has a vent tube that goes right up and under the cap and ring, but the holes don't line up. Are you saying to drill that, that way the holes line up?

I'll take a pic as soon as I can.

·
Bitches love Fighters
5,325 Posts
Those types of caps can be a notch to get off. Vacuum or not. What I was referring to was drilling the hole under the removable cap in the base plate.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
740 Posts
The bike runs just fine. It's when I go to refuel the bike, sometimes I have to pry at it for several minutes. I just assumed that it was a vacuum.
It's probably just the cap. I've heard many times the screw-on type caps can be difficult to remove, especially if the bike has been in the sun for a while. They expand/contract just enough to lightly bind the cap. Is there a big hiss of air as soon as it comes loose?

The 1/4 turn caps avoid this problem but typically cost more.

·
Thudarcat Rider
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's probably just the cap. I've heard many times the screw-on type caps can be difficult to remove, especially if the bike has been in the sun for a while. They expand/contract just enough to lightly bind the cap. Is there a big hiss of air as soon as it comes loose?

The 1/4 turn caps avoid this problem but typically cost more.
I do hear a hiss, especially when after a long ride and a parking it in the sun.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts