Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so this might be a dumbass question but i cant find an answer to it. So im looking for an aftermarket gauge for my project (K1 GSXR 600). All the gauges i look at seem to replace all your stock sensors and everything with theirs which is fine but seems like it would be a pain in the ass to bypass the stock safety features. Basically im looking for a speedo that i can just wire directly into my stock gauge harness.

For example- look up the wiring diagram for my bike, and say the blue wire goes to speed. so take that blue wire and connect it to the speed wire on the aftermarket gauge.

This might be just me overthinking it but oh well. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

·
Forearm of Steel
2,581 Posts
You won't find anything like that that's aftermarket, i'll tell you that now.

Trail Tech makes a good aftermarket one called the Vapor. Koso, Acewell, and some others are also good brands... a bike specific forum might be a good place to do some research and ask some questions as well.

·
Registered
740 Posts
There are some aftermarket dashes out there that have programmable inputs (mostly sold for automotive or marine use), so you can calibrate them to OEM sensors. I know Lowrance has some multi function displays that can do this though they're designed for boats.

Most aftermarket gauges can use your stock speed sensor, as long as you have a digital stock pickup (not a cable driven system). RPM can usually be picked up from the stock input as well. The various idiot lights are just on/off and can be tapped into. The compatibility issues come from ohm-inputs, as is common for temperature and fuel sensors. There's no standard for these among manufacturers, so the aftermarket gauge will sell you their own that their clusters are calibrated for.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the help. I think I'll try and use my stock gauge if I can make it look alright. It's not that big and it will save me money if I make it work. If it doesn't then I'll probably get a Koso or trailtech. Just didn't wanna deal with overriding the safety features. Seems like it would be a pain. Oh well, fighter on!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
740 Posts
What do you mean by safety features....like temp or oil warnings? Most bikes have a dedicated light for low oil pressure, so that's just an on/off, figure out which wire in the stock cluster powers it and direct to the input on the koso/trailtech/whatever. If there's a hot light same story, and again for low fuel. As long as you confirm the fan is working correctly and your coolant is clean you shouldn't really have to worry about watching the temp. Some bikes trip the FI light for overheating if they don't have a hot light, though I'm not sure about older suzuki's.

·
Forearm of Steel
2,581 Posts
doubt those would be in the speedo unit itself - some bikes have a tip over / laydown sensor that'll kill the engine if it passes an angular threshold, most have kickstand switches... neither of which is located in the speedo unit. you'll either need to remount the laydown sensor (if you have one) in the original position from the factory, or wire the leads together and forget about it. Most people also wire their kickstand switch leads together.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Yeah the gauge cluster has nothing to do with ignition interlocks. Most bikes will start and run with the cluster removed.

Bypassing the kickstand switch is pretty popular since it's not uncommon for them to fail and cause no start or intermittent cutting out while riding. They're underneath and get the full blast of road grime, oil leaks, ect all the time and after tens of thousands of miles the switches go bad.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts