Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
fighter transplant in NC
14,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, so I'm ditchin the stock gauges when I get the money for a new set.

at the very least I need a Tach, speedometer and trip odometer. cheaper is better, as long as it is functional. so what are my options?

in the cheap bracket (less than 150) we have the

Trail tech vapor.
Acewell 27xx/28xx series

then above that we have

veypor, Koso, and dakota digital for the higher priced stuff

I would REALLY love to have the moto gp style gauges from Koso, but I can't afford 400 bucks so I'm leanin towards the acewell

are there any other options I'm missing?

·
aka crash test
756 Posts
the acewell is a nice unit i am very much happy with mine except i got the model without the temp gauge but i fixed that

·
Function IS Form
19 Z900, 88 Kat11
17,434 Posts
You can buy a universal tach for like 20-60 and the good bicycle speedometer. Let me look up the name of it.

·
Urban Guerilla
404 Posts
I'm in the same boat and am probably going for the Koso (the speedo with idiot lights) and a cheapie shift light, as all I really need to know with the tach is when I'm hitting the torque peak (before and after is fairly useless, so long as I don't keep hitting redline).

The trouble with some of these units is that they are only water resistant, not waterproof. This is a big issue for me as being a daily commuter in Miami, I get rained on quite a bit. I don't want to have to be worrying about the bike or any parts on it! I also ride at night, and need something with backlighting.

I have to confirm that the $150 Koso is waterproof, and I'm ordering one. Unless the Sigma is waterproof, has a backlight, and has a high speed read range (does it go into triple digits?).

·
craptastic
45 Posts
Most of the Sigmas are not backlit. There is a model that is backlit but you have to press a button and it is only in 3 second intervals (think indiglo watch). You can always form a small bracket out of thin guage sheet metal to hold a wide beam LED over the face.

·
craptastic
45 Posts
Granted that it is not the ideal setup and I had to play with the angle to keep the LED from glaring on the display face, it does mesh well with my empty wallet and theme of ghetto fabness :p

·
Naked from the waste down
1,334 Posts
I think the Sigma is godawful ugly so I ended up going with a Trek speedo.

Huge display, tons of calibration options and different display settings.

I have no use for a tach so this is the only gauge I need. I only use it when a cop is behind me. Other then that I'm holliganing. lol

I was side by side at 114 with my buddy and both of us read 114.
When you get past 99 a small 1 appears in the upper left. I was astonished. lol

I think it has:

ODO
Max Mph/Km
Elapsed Time
Stop Watch
Time Am/Pm
and some other misc bs

Here's a thread I wrote up a while back.

http://www.customfighters.com/forums/showthread.php?t=284&highlight=junk

·
Naked from the waste down
1,334 Posts
I think it's the TREK INCITE.

Not sure which one but they're all the same. Just different features. I'm thinking of upgrading to a newer one with temperature and stuff.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts